New Tim Yeung Interview

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Shredlord
Ancient One

New Tim Yeung Interview

Post by Shredlord »

It's not terribly enlightening, thanks largely to the lame questions, but Tim does discuss the new recording at the 5:00 mark.

[youtube]XxAOcUkrGOI[/youtube]
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
Abzu
Postwhore

Re: New Tim Yeung Interview

Post by Abzu »

Wow... those really were lame questions.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Every shred of info is welcome: thanks!
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

The interviewer definitely has no idea, or is just asking some lame random questions.

Pay attention to what Tim says at the very end: "Trey's been doing guitar tracks for 3 months." :bang:
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="Void"]The interviewer definitely has no idea, or is just asking some lame random questions.

Pay attention to what Tim says at the very end: "Trey's been doing guitar tracks for 3 months." :bang:[/quote]

His comment about the album coming out in early 2011 is what interested me more. We're almost there.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Well, we already knew that.
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

He missed the favourite colour question
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Every shred of info is welcome: thanks![/quote]
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

To me, the most important info is that the record is finally completed while he doesn't mention any of Thor's involvement. Thank the unlord!

Now nothing can go wrong anymore concerning release.
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

yep but i still have some doubts about the artwork hopefully they get something better than just another shady photoshoppd vadim thing...

(and pls don't start bitchin again..)
love of lava.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

personally i'm hoping to see some dan seagrave work :xx:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="zimberly"]personally i'm hoping to see some dan seagrave work :xx:[/quote]

Is always good.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

I won't mind a cover of the quality of Blessed are the sick either (hopefully Hexenhaus didn't use it before though).
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

[quote name="desolation"]
[quote name="zimberly"]personally i'm hoping to see some dan seagrave work :xx:[/quote]

Is always good.[/quote]

:bang:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Mutilator"]I won't mind a cover of the quality of Blessed are the sick either (hopefully Hexenhaus didn't use it before though).[/quote]

Getting to the ex.quisite quality of a Delville piece, nowadays, is unheard of.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

I don't care if the cover is white with just their name and the title stenciled on it so long as the damn thing comes out soon!
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
captain twat. IV.
Ancient One

Post by captain twat. IV. »

I wouldn't get too excited yet..
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="desolation"]

Is always good.[/quote]

the tornado thing is kinda old though.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="Mutilator"]To me, the most important info is that the record is finally completed while he doesn't mention any of Thor's involvement. Thank the unlord!

Now nothing can go wrong anymore concerning release.[/quote]

3 hours ago posted by MA facebook:

"Morbid Angel news: Destructhor arrived to Tampa yesterday to continue working with the band."
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Without a doubt for rehearsel. Dates are dripping in sparcely but nicely. I hope he doesn't inflict too much damage in execution though.

Morbid Angel artwork differs in quality imo: I always thought that the mirror image of Domination was rather 'kitch'.

Nowadays, with the downloading and all, packaging becomes more important, so I'm expecting neat stuff! Season of mist is known for it's choice for at least digipacks and also did digibooks and a special edition of Cynic that I know of. At least a 3D blasphagram stick-on tattoo should be included! :redneck:

[quote name="Void"]..Pay attention to what Tim says at the very end: "Trey's been doing guitar tracks for 3 months." :bang:[/quote]

Do you have perhaps additional information, for instance concerning any pre-production, that this 3 month tracking period implies a wealth of ideas?

..or did he have to fill up space for making enough footage for the studiocam dvd? :redneck:

Touring with a setlist only containing songs from the 1st 4 albums might turn out to be an advantage actually; inspired by that, and not just Dave's return+added skills, could lead to a very oldschool sounding album, and therefore the old magic might be recaptured. I'm getting more and more excited!
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Without a doubt for rehearsel. Dates are dripping in sparcely but nicely. I hope he doesn't inflict too much damage in execution though.

Morbid Angel artwork differs in quality imo: I always thought that the mirror image of Domination was rather 'kitch'.

Nowadays, with the downloading and all, packaging becomes more important, so I'm expecting neat stuff! Season of mist is known for it's choice for at least digipacks and also did digibooks and a special edition of Cynic that I know of. At least a 3D blasphagram stick-on tattoo should be included! :redneck:

[quote name="Void"]..Pay attention to what Tim says at the very end: "Trey's been doing guitar tracks for 3 months." :bang:[/quote]

Do you have perhaps additional information, for instance concerning any pre-production, that this 3 month tracking period implies a wealth of ideas?

..or did he have to fill up space for making enough footage for the studiocam dvd? :redneck:

Touring with a setlist only containing songs from the 1st 4 albums might turn out to be an advantage actually; inspired by that, and not just Dave's return+added skills, could lead to a very oldschool sounding album, and therefore the old magic might be recaptured. I'm getting more and more excited![/quote]

I dunnooo man

"Official David Vincent DESTRUCTHOR arrives today. Chaos ensues (part2)"

I'm just the messenger btw! :redneck:
Love of Lava
God of Emptiness

Post by Love of Lava »

i want new album +new bonus Levels including some new tr3y doom maps + Love of Lava 2 ! super ultra giga speacial ma package with stickers and stuff like theeez :greenie: :waa: :ba: :xx:
love of lava.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I could totally go for a package like Heretic's box version. I didn't even think about all the potential bonus lava. :xx:
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I really don't care about any bonus material such as special packages, etc. it's nice, but I'm just eager to hear the new material, production, and everything else MA is about. Hopefully they didn't lose the magic.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="Void"]I really don't care about any bonus material such as special packages, etc. it's nice, but I'm just eager to hear the new material, production, and everything else MA is about. Hopefully they didn't lose the magic.[/quote]

It's been 285 years since they released an album. Nobody keeps the magic with that much off time. They've had way to long to overanalyze things, in my opinion, and that's almost never good.

That being said, I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up anyway.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"]I really don't care about any bonus material such as special packages, etc. it's nice, but I'm just eager to hear the new material, production, and everything else MA is about. [/quote]
xpocalypse

Post by xpocalypse »

[quote name="hbw"]It's been 285 years since they released an album[/quote]

:thingy:
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/TorturePainKill

"Kill. Kill them all. Pigs written in blood on the walls..."
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

[quote name="Void"]I really don't care about any bonus material such as special packages, etc. it's nice, but I'm just eager to hear the new material, production, and everything else MA is about. Hopefully they didn't lose the magic.[/quote]

Of course, that's a non-issue. The music is the core and I rather have a crappy package with great music than great packaging with meh music.

But beyond that, I expect the release to be something special in more ways. In the past we got the Love of lave extra cd with the pick or a sticker/box.

We only know that there will be a studio dvd included. Maybe there'll be even more from the vaults? Maybe a replica set of Trey's 'Chewing inc' teeth to bite one's own arm before playing? :redneck:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

studio dvd :xx:
;,,;
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

If the DVD is anything like the Blessed extra footage they can keep it. Just give us a couple of songs that blow our minds..
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Well duh @ awesome songs. That's a no-brainer.

The music is already done: it is what it is (whatever it is) so it's up to the next development stage.

That Blessed disc was a documentary that should've been a live gig or at least better executed. This will at least be a studio report. Should be interesting in particular for musicians. Unfair to compare imo.

Furthermore, I hope the guitarsound won't be compressed.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Mutilator"]Well duh @ awesome songs. That's a no-brainer.

The music is already done: it is what it is (whatever it is) so it's up to the next development stage.

That Blessed disc was a documentary that should've been a live gig or at least better executed. This will at least be a studio report. Should be interesting in particular for musicians. Unfair to compare imo.

Furthermore, I hope the guitarsound won't be compressed.[/quote]

My point was that a piese of shit with icing is still a piece of shit. If you add a sticker or DVD it should be interesting. So wether it is a studio report , a gigg or whatever it should be interesting/value for money or there is no point to it. Only Extra cashing in.. (that black and white heretic sticker looked like crap for instance). I do not like Dimmu Borgir that much, but the digi for In sorte diaboli looked like there was actually put some thought and time in the special edition.

So far every studio report i've seen on DVD's is shit for musicians. For the simple reason they are intended to appeal to the general audience.

Nine out of ten they go no further that the guitars/amps used and some shots of guys tracking. Almost every player fascinated with his sound knows what he uses down to the color of his picks.. :redneck:

They never go so deep as explaing mic setups, distances, which converters used on the signals and the stacking of tracks to get de final sounds. Or how the reamping or toneshaping takes place. It might be interesting for people with no studio experience. But It is all very shallow info.

Probably Trey's solo recording experiments will be included. But what is way more interesting what techniques are used to blend his wet recorded solo's in the final mix. As opposed to processing them in post-prod. And why/how the desisions are made as to where tracks are panned etc.

BTW what do you mean by:

[quote name="Mutilator"]Furthermore, I hope the guitarsound won't be compressed.[/quote]

Every distorted guitarsound is compressed. Thats what happens naturally when distortion occurs. Especially with the ammounts of gain used in more extreme metal.

I guess you are referring to Heretic's sound. Thats more a result of mixing a totally lifeless solid-state guitar signal with the Tube sound to give it more punch and bite. Which resuted in that clear, but overly fuzzy dead guitar sound. Combined with the triggered to death drumsounds. The recording is totally lifeless. Add to that the lack of Bass guitar and presto you have the sound of a fight in a bee hive.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

About Heretic; I like the songs and the songwriting/composing is nicely done and well thought of. Production wise I still can't get over the fact that this album sounds like a demo. It sounds if it's a pre-production to something that should have become bigger.

And I agree on the DVD facts. I'd like to see some really indept info on the tracking and mixing sessions. Stuff like that can also be interesting to non-musicians or engineers.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Mutilator"]Well duh @ awesome songs. That's a no-brainer.

Furthermore, I hope the guitarsound won't be compressed.[/quote]

My point was that a piese of shit with icing is still a piece of shit. If you add a sticker or DVD it should be interesting. So wether it is a studio report , a gigg or whatever it should be interesting/value for money or there is no point to it. Only Extra cashing in.. (that black and white heretic sticker looked like crap for instance). I do not like Dimmu Borgir that much, but the digi for In sorte diaboli looked like there was actually put some thought and time in the special edition.

So far every studio report i've seen on DVD's is shit for musicians. For the simple reason they are intended to appeal to the general audience.

Nine out of ten they go no further that the guitars/amps used and some shots of guys tracking. Almost every player fascinated with his sound knows what he uses down to the color of his picks.. :redneck:

They never go so deep as explaing mic setups, distances, which converters used on the signals and the stacking of tracks to get de final sounds. Or how the reamping or toneshaping takes place. It might be interesting for people with no studio experience. But It is all very shallow info.

Probably Trey's solo recording experiments will be included. But what is way more interesting what techniques are used to blend his wet recorded solo's in the final mix. As opposed to processing them in post-prod. And why/how the desisions are made as to where tracks are panned etc.

BTW what do you mean by:

[quote name="Mutilator"]Furthermore, I hope the guitarsound won't be compressed.[/quote]

Every distorted guitarsound is compressed. Thats what happens naturally when distortion occurs. Especially with the ammounts of gain used in more extreme metal.

I guess you are referring to Heretic's sound. Thats more a result of mixing a totally lifeless solid-state guitar signal with the Tube sound to give it more punch and bite. Which resuted in that clear, but overly fuzzy dead guitar sound. Combined with the triggered to death drumsounds. The recording is totally lifeless. Add to that the lack of Bass guitar and presto you have the sound of a fight in a bee hive.[/quote]

Well aren't you Ms Pissy Pants today.
;,,;
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="desolation"]Well aren't you Ms Pissy Pants today.[/quote]

Sorry, didn't intent to come across like that. But all those DVD extra's are nine out of ten uninteresting.

All those (now almost mandatory on a ltd. ed.) studio reports are kinda interchangable from band to band.

You know what would be interesting (to me at least). On the Star wars Revenge of the Sith DVD there is a docu on one minute of footage. From story board to final composite.

Take one song. Show a little of the pre-prod demoing/inspiration. (how the fuck do you come up with Kawazu going into the frog song. :huh: ) Then reheasel etc., after that the actual recordings with mic placement on Drums explaning the gating and stuff. The tracking. With info on how it actually is captured. Why the choices for certain mic's. And finally the stacking of the multiple tracks to shape the final mix of the song. With some explanation on the why and how some desisions were made. That would give some real inside on how the creative thought materializes into the mechanical motions to record a song.

Just a little deeper than the common stuff.