New album title revealed

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
ddrum
Neophyte

New album title revealed

Post by ddrum »

Illud Divinum Insanus :xx:

<!-- m -->http://www.season-of-mist.com/news/morb ... 2011-03-09<!-- m -->
M.Bison
Ancient One

Re: New album title revealed

Post by M.Bison »

What does it translate as?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Illud = The Former, The Great, The Famous

Divinum = Divine, Divinity, God

Insanus = Mad, Insane, Twisted

More or less what "AZAGTHOTH" (as in the Necronomicon) means. :redneck:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I like it :xx:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

The 7" Nevermore vinyl will have another song from the album as a B side :xx:
VARG

Post by VARG »

FUCKIN' GREAT!!

Nice and original title...
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

[quote name="Void"]Illud = The Former, The Great, The Famous

More or less what "AZAGTHOTH" (as in the Necronomicon) means. :redneck:[/quote]

Not quite. You can't just look up word by word and translate Latin like that. Don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything, but I am a Masters student studying classics (Latin, Greek, and the ancient world in general). I've been reading Latin for 8 years now so hopefully I can offer some insight here.

"DIvinum" does not transliterate to "divinity" or "god". It sounds like it, but it is incorrect. Rather it means 'prophet', or 'diviner/soothsayer/auger' , 'one who has divinely inspired knowledge', or at most 'god-like'.

"insanus" when used in a religious/god-related phrase means "possessed".

"illud" is simply used a demonstrative here.

Plus!!!!! it is incorrect. It should be: illud divinUS insanus. The way the spelled divinus,-a,-um is wrong. They have a neuter demonstrative, masculine adjective noun, but a neuter noun that it modifies.

divinum: neuter, accusative, singular

insanus: masculine, nominative, singular

illud: neiter, accusative, singular

So...... if corrected it means: "That possessed prophet"

As it stands... well, it is nothing. It says "Possessed XXXXX[blank-no word for it to modify], XXXXXXX [missing verb], the prophet.

It's not really Latin at all.

It is just random Latin words.

It seems as if they chose cognates from a dictionary and thought that it worked.... it doesn't. This is beyond embarrassing :oldryan: .
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh man, that is harsh. i wonder if they've sent everything out for printing already :oldryan:
ddrum
Neophyte

Post by ddrum »

[quote name="sworn"]

Not quite. You can't just look up word by word and translate Latin like that. Don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything, but I am a Masters student studying classics (Latin, Greek, and the ancient world in general). I've been reading Latin for 8 years now so hopefully I can offer some insight here.

"DIvinum" does not transliterate to "divinity" or "god". It sounds like it, but it is incorrect. Rather it means 'prophet', or 'diviner/soothsayer/auger' , 'one who has divinely inspired knowledge', or at most 'god-like'.

Plus!!!!! it is incorrect. It should be: illud divinUS insanus. The way the spelled divinus,-a,-um is wrong. They have a neuter demonstrative, masculine adjective noun, but a neuter noun that it modifies.

As it stands... well, it is nothing. It says "Possessed XXXXX[blank-no word for it to modify], XXXXXXX [missing verb], the prophet.

It seems as if they chose cognates from a dictionary and thought that it worked.... it doesn't. This is beyond embarrassing :oldryan: .[/quote]

You're right, it should be INSANUS, that's the way I remebered it anyway.Insanum doesn't appear in my dictionary.And I wanted to translate it for the guys(here) but I can't, I think it's just a cool name. :redneck:
ddrum
Neophyte

Post by ddrum »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]oh man, that is harsh. i wonder if they've sent everything out for printing already :oldryan:[/quote]

Maybe someone at season of mist got it wrong?
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

[quote name="ddrum"]
[quote name="Derek Waters"]oh man, that is harsh. i wonder if they've sent everything out for printing already :oldryan:[/quote]

Maybe someone at season of mist got it wrong?[/quote]

I hope that they did get it right, but SOM wrote the press release wrong.... but the MA website also is misspelled

[quote name="ddrum"]

You're right, it should be INSANUS, that's the way I remembered it anyway.Insanum doesn't appear in my dictionary.And I wanted to translate it for the guys(here) but I can't, I think it's just a cool name. :redneck:[/quote]

Actually insanum is an actual Latin word. When you use a Latin dictionary you don't see every form of the word. You see, Latin is what's called an inflected language. Meaning that the endings of the words tell you what it is doing in the sentence. In English when you say: "Tom gave the red book to Sally" you know just what's happening because of WORD ORDER. But... In Latin word order doesn't matter, rather you know that "Tom" is the subject because the word will end with a nominative case ending, you know that "book" is the object because it has an accusative case ending, you know that "red" is an adjective modifying the object [book] because it directly precedes it (in some cases word order does matter) and is the same gender, number, and case. You know that the action is happening in the present tense and is indicating a fact since the Latin verb would have the present singular indicative case-ending. You know that "Sally" is the direct object (meaning that whom is receiving the directing action) because in Latin it would have the dative case-ending. So.... you can re-arrange the words almost endlessly and it would say the same thing.

For English and German (to some extent) for example, the word order lets you know what's going on. In Latin you could take that aforementioned example and phrase it as: "the Book to Sally gives Tom red" and it would make sense and come through as: "Tom gave the red book to Sally" due to the appropriate case endings.

That being said..... in a Latin dictionary what you find is not all the variants of each word, since there are dozens of possible ending for each noun and adjective, and almost 100 different endings for each verb. So a long time ago philologists determined how to catalogue the words you find in a dictionary. Long story short: all nouns listed are listed alphabetically showing only their nominative singular form. For adjectives (modifying words like "pretty", "tall", "fat", etc,...) what is listed is the word in its masculine form (each adjective, generally, can be of either masculine, feminine and neuter). The typical feminine ending is "-a" as in an adjective like 'parva' meaning small. If you are calling a feminine person/place/thing small then it would be preceded by 'parva', but if it is a masculine person/place/thing it would be preceded by 'parvus', and if it were neuter it would be preceded by 'parvum'.

But..... if you try to look up 'parvum' you won't find it in a dictionary. Because it is under 'parvus'. Adjectives are listed under their masculine nominative singular case-ending, followed by the terminations of the other two genders.....

so..... in the case of 'insanum', yes, it is not in any dictionary. But look at 'insanus', and what you'll see is the entry: "insanus, -a, -um".

Nonetheless, the title is wrong. And I have sent an email to Vadim in an attempt to let the band know asap.

Maybe it'll be fixed after a short printing and the typo-ed albums will be rare collector pieces!!
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

:xx:
Jackass in the will of god
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Thanks for the explanation there sworn :santa:

I just typed the words into google and see what they meant. I also noticed that the word "Divinum" should be "Divinus".
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

After doing some more thinking, these two possible variants are good corrections:

1. illud divinum insanum -----> that possessed prophet ... although these are all made neuter, so "prophet" is neuter, so, maybe it's a eunuch???

2. ille divinus insanus -----> that possessed prophet

not a good Latin phrase anyway you cut it....
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Sworn, you should write to Trey or Vincent directly, instead of writing to Vadimvon.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

If you would ask trey the meaning behind it, he would probably just answer "Well it's just for fun you know, all these little titles. Just for fun. I'm a funny person. I'm a goof."
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

:redneck:
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

It sounds more of something David would have come up with, rather then Trey.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Maze"]It sounds more of something David would have come up with, rather then Trey.[/quote]

Are we getting another Domination?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Maze"]It sounds more of something David would have come up with, rather then Trey.[/quote]

Are we getting another Domination?[/quote]

Quit quoting my thoughts!
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i'm still betting on domination vocals with heretic music and some better production
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
bob_here
God of Emptiness

Post by bob_here »

[quote name="sworn"]

It seems as if they chose cognates from a dictionary and thought that it worked.... it doesn't. This is beyond embarrassing :oldryan: .[/quote]

Excellent and concise analysis...
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

imo that is a boring post. that kind of bullshit doesnt really interest me at all. i dont really care about languages, and especially dont care about technicalities of languages.

i suspect i will be in the minority

and i think i may be slightly exaggerating

who decides on these rules anyway?
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="Verbal"]imo that is a boring post. that kind of bullshit doesnt really interest me at all. i dont really care about languages, and especially dont care about technicalities of languages.

who decides on these rules anyway?[/quote]

Your use of the word bullshit infuriates me. Dont just rubbish entire schools of thought/historical epistemologies just because you dont get it.

You dont say 'that one there' when referring to whatever artery you want to cut or whatever medical shit you do.

If you dont like language or history dont type or refer to the past. Ever.

I said EVER!
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

this title su.cks

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="winburger"]
[quote name="Verbal"]imo that is a boring post. that kind of bullshit doesnt really interest me at all. i dont really care about languages, and especially dont care about technicalities of languages.

who decides on these rules anyway?[/quote]

Your use of the word bullshit infuriates me. Dont just rubbish entire schools of thought/historical epistemologies just because you dont get it.

You dont say 'that one there' when referring to whatever artery you want to cut or whatever medical shit you do.

If you dont like language or history dont type or refer to the past. Ever.

I said EVER![/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
beandorkio
God of Emptiness

Post by beandorkio »

Awesome sounding album title, much better than anything I was expecting.

MA usually aren't numpties. The translation may be incorrect, but I suspect there may be an intent behind the seeming grammatical error.
[quote name="it the dusto"]Being a loose cannon who does not play by the rules the first thing I did was ignore the warning and smear this all over my knob and bollocks[/quote]

[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]People is fucking crazy[/quote]
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="beandorkio"]Awesome sounding album title, much better than anything I was expecting.

MA usually aren't numpties. The translation may be incorrect, but I suspect there may be an intent behind the seeming grammatical error.[/quote]

Either way, it's unique to MA.
Desoppus

Post by Desoppus »

Hey TranscendingMusic, have you any theory about release date?

I mean that where it comes from??
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i theorize that it will be released on the 7th of june in the us, and the 6th of june in europe
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

What is the reason
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote name="beandorkio"]Awesome sounding album title, much better than anything I was expecting.

MA usually aren't numpties. The translation may be incorrect, but I suspect there may be an intent behind the seeming grammatical error.[/quote]

This must be it :fonz:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

so you're saying the title is grammatically incorrect on purpose?
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
vega
Metal God

Post by vega »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]
[quote name="sworn"]

Excellent and concise analysis...[/quote]

it will still be "i" album.

i only want it the new morbid angel songs even if album name is "i want icecream". :waa:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

I wouldn't care if they called it "Itchy Balls" as long as the music is fruital and complex.
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Shredlord"]I wouldn't care if they called it "Itchy Balls" as long as the music is fruital and complex.[/quote]
;,,;
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]Sworn, you should write to Trey or Vincent directly, instead of writing to Vadimvon.[/quote]

Any luck Sworn?
sworn
Neophyte

Post by sworn »

[quote name="Ninny"]
[quote name="IRONMAN"]Sworn, you should write to Trey or Vincent directly, instead of writing to Vadimvon.[/quote]

Any luck Sworn?[/quote]

Still no word back from Vadimvon.... That was the only email address that I could find that could get to the band.

If someone has an email address that could reach David or Trey send me a PM.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Doesn't David handle his own Facebook account? I'm pretty certain Trey does his own.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]
[quote name="sworn"]

Excellent and concise analysis...[/quote]

this
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="pulsar"]Doesn't David handle his own Facebook account? I'm pretty certain Trey does his own.[/quote]

Go for Trey's mum.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

haha, she actually used to post on the old board for the sailor scouts.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="zim"]so you're saying the title is grammatically incorrect on purpose?[/quote]

His Sumerian (formulas) was.. I think Beany is right.

And i also think Trey doesn't give a flying fuck about correct/not correct.
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]haha, she actually used to post on the old board for the sailor scouts.[/quote]

Are you sure about that and not mixing her up with the sexy leopard elevator from Estonia? Who plays drums in Neathenrdals (whatever)
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="Mr. P"]Who plays drums in Neathenrdals (whatever)[/quote]

Is that meant to be Netherlands, Neanderthals or some other strange word that I've never come across?
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]

Is that meant to be Netherlands, Neanderthals or some other strange word that I've never come across?[/quote]

<!-- m -->http://www.estonianmetal.com/bands.php?id=167<!-- m -->
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="Mr. P"]
[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]

Is that meant to be Netherlands, Neanderthals or some other strange word that I've never come across?[/quote]

<!-- m -->http://www.estonianmetal.com/bands.php?id=167<!-- m -->[/quote]

I get you now... I think that comes under "some other strange word that I've never come across".
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Mr. P"]Neanderthals[/quote]
;,,;
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Mr. P"]Neanderthals[/quote][/quote]

You should have checked the link! It was Neoandertals, WITH AN O! Goddamn Matrix generation :frown:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Mr. P"]
[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Mr. P"]Neanderthals[/quote][/quote]

You should have checked the link! It was Neoandertals, WITH AN O! Goddamn Matrix generation :frown:[/quote]

:homework:
;,,;