Tony, Steven, and "Evil D"

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Tony, Steven, and "Evil D"

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

This may be a shit stirrer but I want to ask so here goes, and apologies at first as I am not up to speed on this, hence the whole reason for asking.

1. What happened to Tony Norman, why did he leave?

2. Why did Steven Tucker leave?

3. Why did David Vincent come back?

And here is the shit stirrer: 4. What is up with the whole Evil D thing? :wall: I don't get the hair, I don't get being called Evil-D, and I REALLY don't get the vinyl shirts.

Thor seems like one helluva guitarist , but does not move much. David just doesn't seem to really be into it. I have seen enough interviews with Trey that seem to suggest the initial split with David was not good and he seemed to feel the band was better off without David. But it also appears that when David returned, they did not record anymore albums :huh:

I know for me when Formulas came out it seemed like the spiritual component went through the fucking roof. Each subsequent album kicked ass. Granted each one had a very different sound than the previous offering but that just made them better to me. The writing style lyrically was taken up several notches.

On a personal note I am torn as I have shared my experience previously with meeting David and I have MEGA-respect for him, it is just the stage presence and lyrical inclination seemed to excel with Tucker at the helm. The Scion show is defintely getting the Time of Twice Experience rule applied :frown:

I'm asking as a fan who really wants to know and not trying to get shit started, though it may have that potential, but not my intent.
Fuck 'em
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Tony, Steven, and "Evil D"

Post by zim »

[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]And here is the shit stirrer: 4. What is up with the whole Evil D thing? :wall: I don't get the hair, I don't get being called Evil-D[/quote]

David joined his wife's band The Genitorturers (Google them) after MA. After that he pretty much changed for the worse.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

[quote name="zim"]
[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]And here is the shit stirrer: 4. What is up with the whole Evil D thing? :wall: I don't get the hair, I don't get being called Evil-D[/quote]

David joined his wife's band The Genitorturers (Google them) after MA. After that he pretty much changed for the worse.[/quote]

Yeah I am familiar with that whole era, so it is a carry over? I just don't get it. I mean, not trying to sound like a complete fucking prick, but it's really gay, and I don't mean in a queer way. Makes no sense to me at all! Surely others have pointed this out to him :oldryan:
Fuck 'em
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I don't care how David dresses or how he is called in his other band.

He used to be one hell of a frontman in MA, nowadays I think HE is the only one into it... even with his not-called-for speeches between songs (imo). Atleast he's moving about the stage and putting some performance into the whole MA stage act. Thor is a good guitarplayer and probably a really nice hard-on bearer, but his stage presence is fucking boring. We all know Trey used to bang his head like a mofo and be very present on stage in the young years, and that logically went down a bit. IMO he always had this kind of vibe and energy around him on stage, even if he wasn't headbanging or whatever. But nowadays, even that's missing.

I'm not sure why Tony left... probably just had his portion of session guitar playing.

Steve left because of musical and personal indifferences between him and Trey.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

According to a interview I read or heard by Trey or David, Tony just disapeared basically. He didn't tell the band or anything, just disapeared.

Well, you have some good points here Conservative_Heretic. In my opinion, David is a great bandleader and a great frontman. Around A, B and C-days he was certainly very creative and had very good points and intresting views, he is a very clever man. And to me early Morbid Angel (88-95) was like a compromised brainchild of David and Treys. Their genius ideas met halfway and created all this great music and lyrics. There was certainly alot of chemistry between them. And thens something happened after Covenant (Or even before? who knows?), they started to float away from each other, and get more into, what they've always been into. And the result of this is Domination and Formulas. Domination is dominated by David Vincents lyrics (Wich is very unliked by Trey), and Formulas is dominated by Treys ideas and spiritual beliefs (Wich apparantly wasn't so popular for David) He could now do it 100% the way he wants, with the great frontman Steve Tucker. To me, Steve Tucker was like a Pete Sandoval no. 2 on Formulas. He did it the way Trey wanted it to be done. And I don't really know whats going on right know, I get the feeling that both David and Trey is very inspired and ready-to-go. I appreciate his return more than ever, and I have nothing against his clothes or anything.
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

Being with nader sadek, Tucker is composing a alot, even if his not even playing the bass.

he composed some track with MA, but in it he has to put the "morbid angel" feel.

now he can make death metal putting all of his own feelings
Jackass in the will of god
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="Void"]I don't care how David dresses or how he is called in his other band.

He used to be one hell of a frontman in MA, nowadays I think HE is the only one into it... even with his not-called-for speeches between songs (imo). Atleast he's moving about the stage and putting some performance into the whole MA stage act. Thor is a good guitarplayer and probably a really nice hard-on bearer, but his stage presence is fucking boring. We all know Trey used to bang his head like a mofo and be very present on stage in the young years, and that logically went down a bit. IMO he always had this kind of vibe and energy around him on stage, even if he wasn't headbanging or whatever. But nowadays, even that's missing.[/quote]

Interesting take Void. From the videos I have seen of Thor I tend to agree. I have read several others comments that he is a really cool person to meet, but stage presence-wise he just doesn't move much. I don't think he is as old as they are, but hell, that could be it. Granted it is only one show, but that Scion showing has me nervous, but either way, I will go see them. Swear by Cthulhu himself I will drive to freaking Tampa if I have to. :evil:

In a way I am gald to see David back as that is the lineup I am most used to it is just a very different presence when I look at shows prior to the split and then his coming back. And not trying to knock the outift, but I am about to :brushteeth: When I first saw that shirt I swear to Beavis he had used duct tape to make the pentagram :grin:

[quote name="Maze"]According to a interview I read or heard by Trey or David, Tony just disapeared basically. He didn't tell the band or anything, just disapeared.

Well, you have some good points here Conservative_Heretic. In my opinion, David is a great bandleader and a great frontman. Around A, B and C-days he was certainly very creative and had very good points and intresting views, he is a very clever man. And to me early Morbid Angel (88-95) was like a compromised brainchild of David and Treys. Their genius ideas met halfway and created all this great music and lyrics. There was certainly alot of chemistry between them. And thens something happened after Covenant (Or even before? who knows?), they started to float away from each other, and get more into, what they've always been into. And the result of this is Domination and Formulas. Domination is dominated by David Vincents lyrics (Wich is very unliked by Trey), and Formulas is dominated by Treys ideas and spiritual beliefs (Wich apparantly wasn't so popular for David) He could now do it 100% the way he wants, with the great frontman Steve Tucker. To me, Steve Tucker was like a Pete Sandoval no. 2 on Formulas. He did it the way Trey wanted it to be done. And I don't really know whats going on right know, I get the feeling that both David and Trey is very inspired and ready-to-go. I appreciate his return more than ever, and I have nothing against his clothes or anything.[/quote]

Thanks Maze. That is interesting about Tony. I met him via eBay. Bought a shirt he used to wear on tour. Did not beleive it was him so told him to send a picture with a pose giving the finger and horns in a particaular way. Got the picture back and it was him :hard-on bearer: He was one energetic mutherfucker so I was curious as to why he was gone.

I am hoping it is inspired. I have not heard a good quality recording of Nevermore, but from what I have heard it is catchy.

And to your point about the gulf developing that is exactly how I saw it lyrically. David seemed more "satanic" whereas Trey seemed to defintely go more for the Cthulhian / ancient Sumerian concepts. I think that is why Formulas really raised my eyes. The Sumerian civilization fascinates me to no end, but that is a discussion for another day.

It makes no differnce in his playing style but goddamn I was used to seeing him with long blonde locks, black fatigues, fucking combat boots and just fucking evil looking. Now it is more like a pinup doll from a far gone era that is trying to be scary but cannot remember what it means to be, which as just himself was pretty fucking scary to begin with. And I do say all this with love, no dis-respect intended if your're reading this Evil D :bang:

[quote name="lavaBorn"]Being with nader sadek, Tucker is composing a alot, even if his not even playing the bass.

he composed some track with MA, but in it he has to put the "morbid angel" feel.

now he can make death metal putting all of his own feelings[/quote]

This album I cannot wait to hear as the bit of listening I have done makes me even more curious as to why he had left since it is nice and heavy and good sound. Anywho.

:xx: Great feedback from everyone :xx:
Fuck 'em
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]I have not heard a good quality recording of Nevermore, but from what I have heard it is catchy.[/quote]

[youtube]5abkHKcIVT4[/youtube]
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I was about to post that, fucking awesome recording.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Ancient One

This track is so great. The vocals, the riffs, the everything. The part that starts at 2:01 is just fucking incredible.
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

some part of nevermore gives me the feeling of covenant of death :xx:
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

specially the evil breakdown at 2:20
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="Maze"]According to a interview I read or heard by Trey or David, Tony just disapeared basically. He didn't tell the band or anything, just disapeared..[/quote]

I heard this too. If I remember correctly they were in the middle of a tour in Portugal and one day he just wasn't there. According to Metal Archives he's now a current member of Terrorizer.

With regards to David I'm not really a fan of his "Evil D" persona. As far as I'm concerned David Vincent and Evil D might as well be two different people.

I prefer Tucker as a vocalist, the albums with him on seem almost "transcendent" of death metal, particularly Formulas. For the record Formulas is the best Morbid Angel record in my opinion. However, Gateways has my favourite lineup.

Although I'd probably prefer Tucker to be in the band I do think having Vincent will balance Trey out a bit. I always thought Vincent seemed a bit more down-to-earth and capable of balancing out Trey's craziness.
Ancient One

You guys are too hooked up on this Evil-D thing, it's not like he's done a sex transplantation.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

any argument against people caring about the "evil-d thing" would equally apply to a "sex-change thing"
lavaBorn

Post by lavaBorn »

even if vincent perform wearing gay-ass hair metal costume even then i will never hesitate to see morbid angel(azagthoth and sandoval)

The thing is ive never seen MA in life :waa:

sucks to be in india :tear: :tear:

but the good thing is my city is pretty Green :greenie:
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="Maze"]You guys are too hooked up on this Evil-D thing, it's not like he's done a sex transplantation.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is some funny shit right thar!
Fuck 'em
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]
[quote name="Maze"]According to a interview I read or heard by Trey or David, Tony just disapeared basically. He didn't tell the band or anything, just disapeared..[/quote]

I heard this too. If I remember correctly they were in the middle of a tour in Portugal and one day he just wasn't there. According to Metal Archives he's now a current member of Terrorizer.[/quote]

That's fucked up :frown:

Also didn't Pete just post recently on his MySpace that he is doing something with Terrorizer? I assume the "healing" process has been complected if Tony is still with Terrorizer. Healing in the sense of feelings, not Pete's back :mmno:
Fuck 'em
Mutilator
Ancient One

Post by Mutilator »

Tony Norman's disappearance was due to an addiction he had; lateron he was in rehab. His former Dutch gf whom I know pretty well, told me he was many times pretty depressed, and had difficulty having too much company around. Too bad, because I thought he did a great job, both in Morbid Angel and Monstrosity.

Better then Thor who isn't just boring in stage presence, but also in his solo interpretation :frown:

Nowadays, critique can be given to David Vincent's appearance, but I understand that his presence practically saved Morbid Angel: Trey was so into techno parties with his gf and doing drugs, that his playing became sloppy, while we all know that Pete had a hard time fighting the backpain and performing. David is the dominant personality that leads the band on.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Dave could come out in a pink tutu, I'd still go see them.

Norman was awesome -- he was in the line up when I saw them with Soulfly.

I agree that the Gateways line up was the best, though.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="Anjel"]
[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]I have not heard a good quality recording of Nevermore, but from what I have heard it is catchy.[/quote]

[youtube]5abkHKcIVT4[/youtube][/quote]

AAAAARRGGGHH!!!!! Fuck Yeah!!!

:xx: :thingy: :xx:
Fuck 'em
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="Mutilator"]Tony Norman's disappearance was due to an addiction he had; lateron he was in rehab. His former Dutch gf whom I know pretty well, told me he was many times pretty depressed, and had difficulty having too much company around. Too bad, because I thought he did a great job, both in Morbid Angel and Monstrosity.

Better then Thor who isn't just boring in stage presence, but also in his solo interpretation :frown:

Nowadays, critique can be given to David Vincent's appearance, but I understand that his presence practically saved Morbid Angel: Trey was so into techno parties with his gf and doing drugs, that his playing became sloppy, while we all know that Pete had a hard time fighting the backpain and performing. David is the dominant personality that leads the band on.[/quote]

Thank you Mutilator. This is some deep shit. Maybe known to others but new to me. I appreciate the explanation. Being bi-polar and manic depressant I can understand the swings. :xx:

I'm glad I found this family :idea:
Fuck 'em
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Finally, someone new who isn't an idiot. :fonz:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
ddrum
Neophyte

Post by ddrum »

I'm glad that David is back, like some said, he really is the one who seems into it.

Trey did move his head in the past but not much around the stage.He just doesn't bang like before.Maybe it's the playlist? I doubt he is happy not playing material from the last 13 years!!!

Tony was good for MA just like Brunelle or Rutan, can't say the same about Destructhor.I prefer Tony over him.

The albums with Tucker were: F - very good, G - good, H - ok. I don't know if he can work more than 3 years with Trey.He tried two times and then left for good.

Remember that David left after Domination, an album that Trey isn't too happy with, at least regarding the production.In Steve's case, he hated the production on Heretic, after all, you can't even hear his bass.He wasn't too happy about it but did the Trey way...
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I remember talking to Steve when they were in the recording process for Heretic. He was siked about the bass sound, but then the album came out and we were all like "Wait... what bass?". :redneck:
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="ddrum"]I'm glad that David is back, like some said, he really is the one who seems into it.

Trey did move his head in the past but not much around the stage.He just doesn't bang like before.Maybe it's the playlist? I doubt he is happy not playing material from the last 13 years!!!

Tony was good for MA just like Brunelle or Rutan, can't say the same about Destructhor.I prefer Tony over him.

The albums with Tucker were: F - very good, G - good, H - ok. I don't know if he can work more than 3 years with Trey.He tried two times and then left for good.

Remember that David left after Domination, an album that Trey isn't too happy with, at least regarding the production.In Steve's case, he hated the production on Heretic, after all, you can't even hear his bass.He wasn't too happy about it but did the Trey way...[/quote]

ddrum: That makes a helluva lot of sense to. It is seeming almost like Trey has really gone deep inside his own world to the possible detriment of pushing good talent away, but that is pure speculation on my part. I just know when Steve was there, for me, is when MA excelled lyrically and in complexity. :bang:

I also agree that it does seem like Dave returning has been a possible saving grace then. Just why so long a drought of new material?

[quote name="Void"]I remember talking to Steve when they were in the recording process for Heretic. He was siked about the bass sound, but then the album came out and we were all like "Wait... what bass?". :redneck:[/quote]

Void: That is cool. I keep wrapping my head around the fact a lot of you guys on hear are musicians or in the business in addition to being fans. One more reason I am glad to have found this family. I am just a fan so the idea of being able to converse with ones I look up to and respect a lot is really cool to me. I friended Steve on Facebook recently and sent him a note. Didn't hear back, but hell he has way more important things to do I am sure :bang: Bass I had wondered why was not as prominent on Heretic. What I am learning now though, this all makes a lot of sense.
Fuck 'em
ddrum
Neophyte

Post by ddrum »

[quote name="Void"]I remember talking to Steve when they were in the recording process for Heretic. He was siked about the bass sound, but then the album came out and we were all like "Wait... what bass?". :redneck:[/quote]

Yeah, too bad Trey went too far with the crisp no-low-fi sound. Steve is very good at playing bass.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="ddrum"]

Yeah, too bad Trey went too far with the crisp no-low-fi sound. Steve is very good at playing bass.[/quote]

:xx:
Fuck 'em
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"]I don't care how David dresses

He used to be one hell of a frontman in MA, nowadays I think HE is the only one into it....[/quote]

totally!

[quote name="Void"]Thor is a good guitarplayer and probably a really nice hard-on bearer, but his stage presence is fucking boring. [/quote]

i thought this too when I saw them

[quote name="Void"]IMO he always had this kind of vibe and energy around him on stage, even if he wasn't headbanging or whatever. But nowadays, even that's missing.

.[/quote]

yeah, I've noticed that too.
Ancient One

He is probably just tired of playing the same old songs. He will probably get it back when the new album is out and the touring has begun. Trey wouldn't play if he found it boring or whatever, so it does probably serve him in some way. I saw them live 2005, and there was alot energy around him. It was a great show.