MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: MORBID ANGEL 'ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS' EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]This is like watching your favorite team lose in the World Cup[/quote]

no cause there will be another world cup in four years
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

I remember as far back as Formulas, Trey being asked what bands he was into, death metal-wise. And he really only named Vader and Angel Corpse (i.e. killer bands that are heavily influenced by Morbid Angel, IMO). I know in 2003 he was into Nile, because he mentioned wanting to write music with Karl in the Heretic liner notes. But overall I get the impression that the only death metal he is into is his own band. You guys have all read shit where he says these days if he puts on music it'll be R&B or something "that makes the hips swing."

And like I said in another post...Combichrist is his favorite music right now. Except unlike the days where he would be into some band and maybe take some kind of direction from it without sounding like it...it sounds like he's being directly influenced these days. But we haven't heard the record yet, so...who knows for sure.

I agree with Zim about the aggressive passion being essential. When Formulas came out, at a Genitorturers show David told a close fellating lover of mine that "the new album (Formulas) isn't appealing to me because there's no fire, no hate." I'm very curious to see if there's the slightest bit of that energy on this record. If there is, my money says it'll be on Thor's tracks.

Oh, and the hard-on bearer that wrote the preview article..."Nevermore" is classic Morbid Angel? Seriously? Come on. I don't dislike the song, but it sure ain't classic, IMO. That statement alone makes me doubt every assessment the hard-on bearer made, except for pretty unambiguous stuff like "techno" and "industrial."

You know what, they dropped this info ahead of time, and although Trey probably doesn't give a shit about fan reactions and speculation, I bet that Dave does and I guarantee that Season of Mist cares. They dropped these nuggets about "controversial" and it worked...we're talking about it. My real question is this--we're all Morbid Angel fans already or we wouldn't be here. Does anyone other than us give enough of a shit to be talking about this? Morbid Angel always had your more casual fans, as well, but those tend to drop off after eight years of silence, even if there's been a nostalgia tour in between doing classic songs.

I don't have high hopes at all, but I do have some hope that this will be "interesting." Something different. We've all heard death metal with some drum loops thrown over it. I've yet to hear something that really integrates death metal and electronic music in a cohesive way. I don't like electronic music, so even someone did a great job at it I might not like it, but I still want to hear it. Honestly the only thing that I heard that came kind of close was ...And Oceans' "A.M.G.O.D." album years ago, and even that went pretty light with the industrial/techno shit during the metal songs.

That's the sad thing, though--at best, I'm hoping for something that's "entertaining." Since when was Morbid Angel just entertainment, to me?

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:idea:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

[quote name="Dusto"]
[quote name="IRONMAN"]This is like watching your favorite team lose in the World Cup[/quote]

no cause there will be another world cup in four years[/quote]

[quote name="Wormler"]...and it just keeps getting worse. seriously, how could you still have high hopes for the music at this point?[/quote]

[quote name="IRONMAN"]This has to be a trick. They are intentionally lowering our expectations to get a more favorable reaction when the album actually comes out.[/quote]

[quote name="zim"]People grow out of things though. Death metal is a raw, angry, and aggressive (and a ton of other things) type of music. You've got to have passion to play this music. I think death metal requires a certain aggressive passion, and if you lose that it's over.[/quote]

[quote name="slimegod"]I remember as far back as Formulas, Trey being asked what bands he was into, death metal-wise. And he really only named Vader and Angel Corpse (i.e. killer bands that are heavily influenced by Morbid Angel, IMO). I know in 2003 he was into Nile, because he mentioned wanting to write music with Karl in the Heretic liner notes. But overall I get the impression that the only death metal he is into is his own band. You guys have all read shit where he says these days if he puts on music it'll be R&B or something "that makes the hips swing."

And like I said in another post...Combichrist is his favorite music right now. Except unlike the days where he would be into some band and maybe take some kind of direction from it without sounding like it...it sounds like he's being directly influenced these days. But we haven't heard the record yet, so...who knows for sure.

I agree with Zim about the aggressive passion being essential. When Formulas came out, at a Genitorturers show David told a close fellating lover of mine that "the new album (Formulas) isn't appealing to me because there's no fire, no hate." I'm very curious to see if there's the slightest bit of that energy on this record. If there is, my money says it'll be on Thor's tracks.

Oh, and the hard-on bearer that wrote the preview article..."Nevermore" is classic Morbid Angel? Seriously? Come on. I don't dislike the song, but it sure ain't classic, IMO. That statement alone makes me doubt every assessment the hard-on bearer made, except for pretty unambiguous stuff like "techno" and "industrial."[/quote]

Well, these are all how I am feeling simultaneously right now.

If though anyone could pull all this off, I believe it is Trey.
Fuck 'em
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I just found out from wikipedia that Trey is 46 years old.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="slimegod"]I'm very curious to see if there's the slightest bit of that energy on this record. If there is, my money says it'll be on Thor's tracks.[/quote]

this is something that's been floating around in my head the last couple of days as well. do you happen to know how much he contributed, writing-wise to the first zyklon album?

i'm kind of mixed on the whole thor thing, because i've never been terribly clear on who wrote what throughout their discography. the debut was fantastic front to back, but i found most of aeon and disintegrate forgettable. still, i feel there's at least some glimmer of hope with his involvement.

[quote name="slimegod"]That's the sad thing, though--at best, I'm hoping for something that's "entertaining." Since when was Morbid Angel just entertainment, to me?[/quote]

well, if that's all we get out of a new MA record, i'll join everyone in mourning the death of a truly great band. an effort from MA that fails to rise above base entertainment would be a travesty. i've not given up all hope entirely, but my expectations are really, really low at this point.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Do you think that this new album is merely a platform for Trey to launch his solo DJ career?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]Do you think that this new album is merely a platform for Trey to launch his solo DJ career?[/quote]

my money is still on:

[quote name="Derek Waters"]i'm still waiting for the press release where they reveal this was all a joke and go 'ok no, here's the real album title which actually makes sense, oh and have some not-completely-retarded song titles too. p.s., dave wasn't allowed to write any of the lyrics on the real album'[/quote]

:doubleolddenial::::::: :|
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]Do you think that this new album is merely a platform for Trey to launch his solo DJ career?[/quote]

If he's aiming for the worst launch ever, sure.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

oh wow is that not going to happen
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

Not sure how much he wrote on Zyklon, but I think that Myrkskog was pretty much all his writing, and they had awesome riffs.

Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

Trey was talking about how Domination was too mundane and trivial with Davids lyrics, but what fuck is this compared to that? HEADBANGING LIKE A MANIAC?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

if there's one upside to all this nonsense, the board has been a lot more active recently, and we've had a small influx of new posters who are actually contributing some thoughtful posts.

i'm interested to see the quality of new recruits after the album releases. in accordance with my low expectations, i have a sneaking suspicion we're gonna have to run a lot of hot topic kids out of town :redneck:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

I hate techno as much as anyone, and while it's disappointing to even see/hear that word associated with the mighty MA, I have to believe that those songs will be dark and ugly, and not some ecstasy-driven typical nightclub shit. Would I rather have 11 tracks of pure MA fury? Sure! But, I'm willing to give it a chance. Thor has written some killer riffs in the past, so his songs certainly fill me with optimism.
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]if there's one upside to all this nonsense, the board has been a lot more active recently, and we've had a small influx of new posters who are actually contributing some thoughtful posts.

i'm interested to see the quality of new recruits after the album releases. in accordance with my low expectations, i have a sneaking suspicion we're gonna have to run a lot of hot topic kids out of town :redneck:[/quote]

:xx: :xx: :xx: Now that I look forward to.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

The "running Hot Topic kids out of town" thing reminded me of this great interview with Karl Sanders re: Nile playing Ozzfest.

"Well, here's how I see it: There is a brief scene in 'Saving Private Ryan', during the opening sequence on the Normandy Beach, where just for a few seconds the camera moves to a viewpoint of a German machine-gunner — looking over his machine-gun sights down onto the beach — who is laying waste to countless U.S. soldiers as the doors open up to their boats and they are all just helpless and vulnerable, in the water and struggling onto the beach, exposed to devastating machine gunfire — and from this vantage point, one can not help but get the feeling, if only for a moment, of what it must feel like to be that machine gunner, with so many helpless targets right in your sights to mow down at will. Of course, for that machine-gunner, you also feel that, however awesome it must be for those priceless few moments of godly slaughter, it will inevitably be short-lived, because he is soon to be roasted alive in his bunker as soon as Tom Hanks and friends make it up the hill. But for those few moments of unimpeded opportunity to mow down wave after wave of helpless targets, it had to be utterly godly.

"That's why we are doing Ozzfest. We will be the first real death metal band to ever play Ozzfest, and the chance to lay waste to thousands and thousands of mall metal posers is just too once-in-a-lifetime to pass up.

"In the words of Ross Dolan, 'Metal will take place.'

"I could care less about how much incredible exposure it will be to play Ozzfest; I am just thrilled at the possibility of metal carnage on a mass scale. Those venues will look like Omaha Beach when we are done."

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

karl is truly one of the great question answerers of our time
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

It's COULDN'T care less.
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Verbal"]It's COULDN'T care less.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine, too. Oh well.

Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

[quote name="Dusto"]

no cause there will be another world cup in four years[/quote]

It's more like FC Barcelona reverting to catenaccio ;)
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

I've pretty much given up hope for this record now. I thought David's return to the band may have brought Trey back to reality so he could knuckle down and write some quality death metal again but it looks like it could have worsened the situation. After all the interviews i've read with Trey about David's departure after Domination I was surprised when I saw the tracklist, and the lyrics and song descriptions here only decreased my anticipation of the album.

[quote name="TranscendingMusic"]Who here denies that there was such an engulfing feeling of the true MA spirit back in the day?? Something that removed us from mundane perspectives, even for the atheist?! MA did that to you; took you to other planes "beyond" yourself with force, feeling, and a pure anger that was justified by the world around it. There was something truly dark but organic, evil but befriending, maniacal but intelligent, detached but inspirational about the MA we all knew.[/quote]

I agree with your post post but this section in particular I couldn't agree more with. I have absolutely no religious or spiritual beliefs. However, I feel listening to Morbid Angel's music and learning about Trey's philosophy has been very inspirational for me. An album like Formulas is transcendental for me. Its a work of musical genius that has helped me put parts of my life in perspective in a way that I can't fully explain. Put simply, its a complete escape from everyday life, no matter how shit my day has been. I highly doubt they will ever capture that "transcendental" quality ever again.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

doesnt "transcendental" mean "supernatural", though?
-M-
Ancient One

Post by -M- »

I want to hear tracks 2, 7 and 10. Those will be either the best tracks on the album or biggest disappointment in music history.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="slimegod"]
[quote name="Verbal"]It's COULDN'T care less.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine, too. Oh well.[/quote]

Unless, of course, the person could, in fact, care less.
;,,;
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Verbal"]doesnt "transcendental" mean "supernatural", though?[/quote]

I was using to mean it sort of more than the music, as in more powerful or resonant, not in a spiritual way but emotional / philosophical.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

[quote name="Verbal"]doesnt "transcendental" mean "supernatural", though?[/quote]

Not always, also means it is beynd others, such as surpassing, superior, or maybe he is secretly a Buddhist, or maybe not in secret. :alien:

Or what he said above, me thinks better it is :idea:
Fuck 'em
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i was just fucking with him because i didnt like the fluffy artsy way he expressed himself
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

fluffer extraordinaire.
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

I read through what I'd read just before I posted it and thought I might come across like that. :sicken:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Sooooooooooooooo.... how 'bout that new Hate Eternal, yeah? Looks like it'll be pretty good.

:eyes:
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

It's going to be fucking amazing!!!

:eyes:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Morbid Angel needs Erik.
;,,;
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

No they don't. I don't want him being related to this. :redneck:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Void"]No they don't. I don't want him being related to this. :redneck:[/quote]

Just let me imagine in my head that this never would have happened had he been in the band. Let me also forget that some of this was recorded in Mana.
;,,;
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

erik has his own (awesome) shit to do. you leave him alone
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

exactly dusty.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

yeeeeeah :eyes:

I really can't wait for the new HE to come out. I'm all pre-ordered n shit. :bang:
;,,;
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Dunno what to say about this, I'm not entirely convinced its all true. How they could manage to put what sounds like nu metal and rave on the same album as the killer track "Nevermore" while keeping a straight face is beyond me.

I'll check it out when its out. I'm not going to cast aspersions on the band for pulling any weird shit but I will most definitely feel saddened if they do, but I guess good things don't last forever.

At least the new Hate Eternal looks promising.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

But it comes in a really cool box having fold out panels, a sliding drawer, with candles, and incenses, and weird looking sigils on it. Hell, if I squint just right, I might think it an altar, an Altar of Madness I tell you from whenceforth I could summon forth my own Ancient Ones (or at least an evil Dungeons and Dragons imp or something) to come down and bow before me :evil: :bang:

no, not really... :tear:

Damn what a difference 48 hours make :oldryan:
Fuck 'em
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

I don't blame Trey for getting tired of writing death metal riffs...I know I did. Since he also likes classical music, it's too bad they didn't add some neo-classical elements instead of whatever the fuck it is. Well, we'll just have to wait and hear for ourselves. (Wouldn't it be nice if this were all a colossal joke??)
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote name="Junkyard God"]Image[/quote]

ok thats just fucking funny
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

lol
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

maybe ma are trying to get into the furniture business
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

what the fuck is it that big?
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Maybe he's just tiny.
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

oh no he didnt!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

This whole thing is an elaborate April Fools joke, right?

I keep thinking back to this night I spent at a lady's house a couple months ago. We were drinking some good beers, talking about music and I mentioned how excited I was for this album to come out and how long it'd been. She said, "That also must be pretty scary though, right? Who knows what it'll sound like. That's a long time to generate potential disappointment." I thought 'ahaha but it is Morbid Angel; it is always good.'

:shakefist: :facepalm:
;,,;
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

The fucked up thing is I had to make almost this same call to SoM when I got my Watain "Lawless Darkness" box. Mine was missing the candle and the CD! I felt kind of lame going "where's my candle that I'm never going to take out of this box again" but on the other hand, shit ain't cheap, should be complete.

They were cool and sent me the missing stuff immediately.