Trey's alternate spellings on various words.

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Trey's alternate spellings on various words.

Post by LAVAGOD »

I've noticed that trey likes to have fun with words like Cthulu, Anunnaki, Absu, Azathoth ect. see on the inside of formulas fatel to the flesh cthulu is spelled with a added H. in a Metal Maniacs interview titled " feast of the annukai" Anunnaki is spelled differently obviously. absu is spelled apsu in some of the lyrics on blessed are the sick as well as Formulas. and in all the versions of the "NECRONOMICON" that i've read Azagthoth is spelled "AZATHOTH". any Occult ideas or ways of thinking related to this? :huh:
LAVA!!!
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Re: Trey's alternate spellings on various words.

Post by Verbal »

the i dont understand your the question
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

Why do you think Trey changes all these words around? Especially ANUNNAKI . He changed it to annukai which is similar but definitely sounds different. :huh:
LAVA!!!
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

the artist within him probably is what does it
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Some of these words have historical alternate spelling through variations in the cultures. Abzu is a good example. Abzu is the original spelling, Apsu is the Babylonian version, Absu is the Lovecraftian spelling. Annunaki also had variants, anunnaki, ananaki, anunnaku, anunakene, anunna, etc. Additionally, Trey likely takes artistic license with these words. As he's said in interviews, the concepts behind the names are what he's interested in.

The Necronomicon is a fictional creation. If you start from that as your source material, you're screwed from the get-go. Odd thing is, the most popular version of a Necronomicon, the Simon edition, has the Lovecraftian character Azatoth (not actually a historical myth) as Azagthoth as an attempt to legitimize it by compounding the Sumerian Azag (a demon who stole Ereshkigal to the underworld in a few variations of a Sumerian dragon slaying myth) with the Hellenic-Egyptian Thoth (Tahuti). This is the spelling Trey adapted. Its form is pleasing to the eye and it's no leap of imagination to see why he adapted it.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

You dont think the simon Necronomicon is a good book when it comes that type of stuff? any recomendations on books like that. also do you know any books dealing with the whole "flow" and deep thinking and comprehending and that whole "the living continuum" thing Trey always talks about? thanks
LAVA!!!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="LAVAGOD"]You dont think the simon Necronomicon is a good book when it comes that type of stuff? any recomendations on books like that. also do you know any books dealing with the whole "flow" and deep thinking and comprehending and that whole "the living continuum" thing Trey always talks about? thanks[/quote]

Due to the popularity of the book in Lovecraft's stories, there was a large demand in the occult community for an 'authentic' Necronomicon. The people who ran The Magickal Childe in NYC created the Simon Necronomicon to satisfy this demand and, of course, make them a lot of money. It was created loosely using Babylonian mythology with Goetic and related classical demonology rituals. Deity names were made in a Mesopotamian style to try and add credence to the Lovecraftian deities like Cthulhu:Kutulu, Azatoth:Azagthoth, Yog-Sothoth:Iak-Sakkak, Shub-Niggurath:Sub-Ishnigarrab, &c. As a historical document, etymological reference, and authentic Mesopotamian myth collection, the Necronomicon is useless. As a piece of associated fiction and creative endeavour, I find it impressive.

Personally, I equate the living continuum as our own inner creativity. The creative flow is the closest I come to any sort of spirituality. If you wish to know what it means to Trey, ask him. What does it mean to you?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
LAVAGOD
God of Emptiness

Post by LAVAGOD »

How would you use it in everyday life? or in certain cituations?
LAVA!!!
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

There is no correct spelling for Chtulhlu, You could spell pretty much in any way.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

[quote name="LAVAGOD"]How would you use it in everyday life? or in certain cituations?[/quote]

Think of your own breath, how it flows, how it is used in various functions. Do you expend more when relaxed or stressed? Do you think about your breathing or does it come naturally? As Pulsar wrote: equate it to an inner creativity. It is a creativity that is alive.

Trey’s philosophy is not just found in a book, but in living. The books are merely signposts and guide marks. Through the successive stages of each subsequent album you can see this enhanced and enlarged upon. In a simple nutshell, there is no simple nutshell.

For reading you could start with studying Sumerian civilization. I know that is very broad, but it is also a very broad belief system. If you read with your eyes to see then you will have an entire new world opened to you, and concepts as old as the human race brought to your attention.

But ultimately, you would have to ask Trey himself.
Fuck 'em
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

Language is a medium of expressing our thoughts, a human creation.

Spelling doesn't matter if the meaning is clear. Humans have made spellings, he is also a human he can make his own.
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]For reading you could start with studying Sumerian civilization. I know that is very broad, but it is also a very broad belief system. If you read with your eyes to see then you will have an entire new world opened to you, and concepts as old as the human race brought to your attention.[/quote]

While they had great art and mythology, their day to day lives aren't something you can lay on top of that sort of free, flow mentality. For fucks sake, they believed they were created by the gods to be slaves to the gods.
;,,;
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

thank god weve moved on
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]For reading you could start with studying Sumerian civilization. I know that is very broad, but it is also a very broad belief system. If you read with your eyes to see then you will have an entire new world opened to you, and concepts as old as the human race brought to your attention.[/quote]

While they had great art and mythology, their day to day lives aren't something you can lay on top of that sort of free, flow mentality. For fucks sake, they believed they were created by the gods to be slaves to the gods.[/quote]

True and it is also a very valid argument that that is the basis of most theist-based religions today, not all, but most in my opinion. If that is the only part he were to take away then, meh, but there is much more than that. The successive empires to come forth from that region is a testament to that. Ideals are blended with new concepts, names are changed, yet the meaning remains the same.

If he wants to understand about the names being used, the phonetics behind them, the concepts, etc, he is going to need to read, and read, and live. I may not be articulating it well but that is what I am trying to convey to the young Padawan.

There is no Trey's Concepts of the Continuum for Dummies :grin:
Fuck 'em
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]
[quote name="pulsar"]

While they had great art and mythology, their day to day lives aren't something you can lay on top of that sort of free, flow mentality. For fucks sake, they believed they were created by the gods to be slaves to the gods.[/quote]

True and it is also a very valid argument that that is the basis of most theist-based religions today, not all, but most in my opinion. If that is the only part he were to take away then, meh, but there is much more than that. The successive empires to come forth from that region is a testament to that. Ideals are blended with new concepts, names are changed, yet the meaning remains the same.

If he wants to understand about the names being used, the phonetics behind them, the concepts, etc, he is going to need to read, and read, and live. I may not be articulating it well but that is what I am trying to convey to the young Padawan.

There is no Trey's Concepts of the Continuum for Dummies :grin:[/quote]

It's one of the founding points of the Abrahamic religions. Many biblical myths came from there.
;,,;
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Conservative_Heretic"]
[quote name="pulsar"]

There is no Trey's Concepts of the Continuum for Dummies :grin:[/quote]

It's one of the founding points of the Abrahamic religions. Many biblical myths came from there.[/quote]

Exactly. It is a fascinating study. If he starts to really get into the nitty-gritty of the meanings and understanding of words used that have their foundations from what has come from the Sumerians then it will take him to the beginning of those words being recorded; put concepts and ideas in a different light, removed from the present fabric. History is :xx: She can be a most valuable guide.
Fuck 'em