Existo Vulgoré *new song*

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Mr. P
Ancient One

Re: Existo Vulgoré *new song*

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]

Like my_shadow22 said "I'm pretty anxious to read some new Trey interviews to hear what he has to say about this stuff.". I want to "get it". I want to be able to feel and grasp the idea. Then I'll be able to decide whether it'll work for me or not. I'm already perfectly aware that this won't be Covenant part 2 or anything like the records with Steve. I'm cool with that. But references like "Morbid Manson", Gabba, "Clubby" and The Unspoken king... What the hell is that? It doesn't really tell me anything.

[/quote]

I'm not. I am anxious to read the interviews of Morbid Angel members regarding this album and the process leading to it and afterwards. But I don't make up my mind on liking or disliking the album based on what the composer thinks himself of the tracks or what is the ideology behind every track or why did I put a beat there. I am sure that Trey/MA would not ever release an album which they couldn't stand behind of, if you know what I mean.
:xx:
Drum Solo

Post by Drum Solo »

I am sure that Trey/MA would not ever release an album which they couldn't stand behind of, if you know what I mean.

But hasn't Trey also stood behind playing with Power Ranger dolls and playing online video games for over 24 hours at a time? Same goes for David and pretty much everything he has done since 1996.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

I am sure that Trey/MA would not ever release an album which they couldn't stand behind of, if you know what I mean.

But hasn't Trey also stood behind playing with Power Ranger dolls and playing online video games for over 24 hours at a time? Same goes for David and pretty much everything he has done since 1996.

listen to this man, for he is wise
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Maze"]We've all heard Existo Vulgore, and we've all heard Nevermore. IMO, these are 100% awesome Morbid Angel songs, both in production and musically. And what the hell, how can you compare the new MA to the Unspoken King? That is fucking insane. Morbid Angels path is 10000 miles away from a band like Cryptopsy. Morbid Angel will always do something diffrent. Just shut up and let the record speak for it self when it comes out. Everyone here at this board does have the competense to go out and buy it and find out for themselves how the album is, and what it is to them . And all you possessors of "inside-information" about the new album, keep your pessimism to your self.[/quote]

A big fucking :fuckoff: to you for suggesting anyone on the mabb who isn't ndmg, Akane or anallucination keep any opinion, pessimistic or otherwise, to their self. People will go out and buy the album and listen to it and form their own opinions regardless. If they cannot form their own opinion and are so easily swayed by another's then that's their fucking problem.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

[quote name="pulsar"]
[quote name="Maze"]We've all heard Existo Vulgore, and we've all heard Nevermore. IMO, these are 100% awesome Morbid Angel songs, both in production and musically. And what the hell, how can you compare the new MA to the Unspoken King? That is fucking insane. Morbid Angels path is 10000 miles away from a band like Cryptopsy. Morbid Angel will always do something diffrent. Just shut up and let the record speak for it self when it comes out. Everyone here at this board does have the competense to go out and buy it and find out for themselves how the album is, and what it is to them . And all you possessors of "inside-information" about the new album, keep your pessimism to your self.[/quote]

A big fucking :fuckoff: to you for suggesting anyone on the mabb who isn't ndmg, Akane or anallucination keep any opinion, pessimistic or otherwise, to their self. People will go out and buy the album and listen to it and form their own opinions regardless. If they cannot form their own opinion and are so easily swayed by another's then that's their fucking problem.[/quote]

OK. I'll just leave this thread then :idea:

I wrote PESSIMISM about the album. Not generally...
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

I typed out a MASSIVE reply to this post, goddamit then I got logged out :@ :@ :@ Here's the cutdown version from memory.

[quote name="Derek Waters"]perhaps he meant it like, it's fortunate in that his name is not attached to an album that could potentially alienate a large portion of the band's fanbase? :huh:[/quote]

Yes, Pete is one of my drumming heros.

It sounds like what I've writted doesn't fit your high expectations regarding the record, sorry but I can't help that.

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]Let's keep a good tone. L Macey seems like a good hard-on bearer and he did apologize to those who didn't want their initial encounter with Illud soaked in other peoples opinions (those people probably shouldn't hang around here anyway...). But none of the summaries I have read this far have made me any wiser. It's been confusing at best.

Like my_shadow22 said "I'm pretty anxious to read some new Trey interviews to hear what he has to say about this stuff.". I want to "get it". I want to be able to feel and grasp the idea. Then I'll be able to decide whether it'll work for me or not. I'm already perfectly aware that this won't be Covenant part 2 or anything like the records with Steve. I'm cool with that. But references like "Morbid Manson", Gabba, "Clubby" and The Unspoken king... What the hell is that? It doesn't really tell me anything.

L Macey, I don't know if you have the time or even care. But it would be super duper awesome if you could give me a more detailed description of the two tracks Too Extreme! and Beauty Meets Beast. I would REALLY appreciate that.

Ps. Sorry for accusing you of being a troll :redneck:[/quote]

It's really difficult to describe this record, and part of me can't accept that Morbid Angel would even make a record like this. When it finally leaks, imo a lot of people on here will go a lot further than I have and say this is the end of Morbid Angel, a smaller number will say they like the record and I was over exaggerating how "bad" it was, even though I never said it was "bad". I'll do my own quickfire track by track in my next post
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

I was not on the wagon for a leak before, but I must admit my frigging curiosity is peaked that now I DO want to hear a leak. Either way, I am all in on getting the album, hell box-set has been purchased, single(s) EP purchased. But with what LMacey, others on here and people emailing with, there is going to be a MAJOR fan base shake-up and hell, who better than these fucks to shake it up. I like most have mixed feelings on what I have heard, but what I have heard is likewise heavy and jamming and I like it so, here's to waiting :beer:

[quote name="L Macey"]I'll do my own track by track in my next post[/quote]

This I look forward to reading. :xx:
Fuck 'em
Drum Solo

Post by Drum Solo »

Yeah, I just checked out some stuff from your band, and a track by track would be interesting with that in mind.
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

1 Omni Potens - intro with choral chanting, and a medieval vibe and basic military beat, a bit like hatework but stripped down a lot.

2 Too Extreme! - pounding club style song. guitars all the way through with electronic stomping beats. Dave shouting "this is your one warning" "we come to spread our doctrine insane" "we're too extreme" "pounding pounding" "we are your new religion". It's 6 mins long and very repetative. The bass break with the disco beat had me spit my tea out when I heard it the first time - it was a full on facepalm moment. This song is like something Ministry might have done, or some similar artist. The song stops and starts a lot with mini fake stops.

3 Existo - we've all heard this one - compared to a lot of the record it's like the 2nd coming of christ

4 Blades - myrkskog /zyklon / morbid in a blender. Modern dm song, good leads from Thor.

5 I'm Morbid - crowd chanting "morbid morbid morbid", kick drum comes in in time with the chants, cheesy sleazy riff comes in with slow double bass beat. has a real rock feel. Lyrics are a bit cheesy as is much of the record, like his stage banter stretched over a record. It's like metal warriors done by morbid angel. "i'm morbid, celebrating morbid victories, morbid wooah bring em to their knees oh"

6 10 More - nu metally song in a similar way to how enshrined was, but this isn't as extreme. 3rd quarter is gateways esque. a bit of a plodder bar the gateways bit

7 Destructos - marching pounding beat, guitars playing formulas esque discordant riff for 6 mins+ Dave singing over the top. Monotonous song. Lyrics about destructos coming to destroy everyone and him shouting "march, march". Attack is the last 30 seconds and its 270bpm with a triplet feel, like formulas on speed. There's a voiceover which says "so terrifying it may have an unforseen effect" which makes it seem like this bit is a jokey section...

8 - Nevermore - i prefer the live version from waldrock which is great, i probably listened to it too much to be fair. This one is slower in the middle section and the wooo-ooo-ahs are harmonised.

9 - Beauty Meets Beast - like ageless or beneath the hollow with 3 time feel and lots of kicks. Drumming is a lot like pete on this one. Quite melodic with Dave "singing" a bit and adding some melody in and some chants. Its similar to elegy of icaros by emperor imo, quite graceful sounding. Trey does a lead with the funny miking tech at the end. If the record was all along these lines - more melodic and a bit more mainstream but still morbid angel at the core I'd be reasonably happy. I think I like this one and Existo the best.

10 - Radikult - the first part is like <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI<!-- m --> cheesy industrial vibed song, pounding stomping club beat and the lyrics "we're living hardcore radical, we'll always be maniacal and animal" and what sounds like "kill a cop, cop kill a cop kill a kill killa cop cop" (he can't be saying those exact words surely but that's what it sounds like) with a kinda funky bass walk. ends in an instrumental bit with chants again

11 - mea culpa - gabba electronic song with pounding beats and dave singing and shouting with riffing underneath and "oooooo-aahhhs" etc

I didn't mention before but the lyrics are a long way from any of the other albums and seem to be straight up, they aren't talking about magic, the outer reaches of the mind, altered states or transcending, this is more down to earth stuff. In Radikult it sounds quite petulant and a bit like "we've been doing this shit since 1989 and we're gonna do whatever we like"
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Maze"]
[quote name="pulsar"]

A big fucking :fuckoff: to you for suggesting anyone on the mabb who isn't ndmg, Akane or anallucination keep any opinion, pessimistic or otherwise, to their self. People will go out and buy the album and listen to it and form their own opinions regardless. If they cannot form their own opinion and are so easily swayed by another's then that's their fucking problem.[/quote]

OK. I'll just leave this thread then :idea:

I wrote PESSIMISM about the album. Not generally...[/quote]

If you don't like people expressing negative opinions about music, is the bard really the right place for you to point your browser?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Nothing better than smacking the hornet's nest with a stick, non?

By the way, Mithras is required fucking listening.
;,,;
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aaand cue the despair:

it sounds like we've got morbid angel songs that are essentially about morbid angel. perhaps they really have gone full manowar, at least in spirit, if not in form! that kind of overt self-referential stuff is really, really disappointing.

at least there seems to be some high points on the album. i guess it remains to be seen how good a job they do at salvaging the other stuff/counterbalancing the really strange choices it seems they've made on this record... well, i guess it's countdown to leak day now :| (again, i'll stress here that i'm still gonna pick up the disc strictly out of appreciation for everything else the band has done over the years -- whether or not i'll ever bother to open it may be a different story though)
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

[quote name="L Macey"] "we've been doing this shit since 1989 and we're gonna do whatever we like"[/quote]

This seems like an apt summation from all the previous pre-release reviews and listens others have reported on. Wonder if there is a major backlash, will they wait another 8 years for a new album, say fuck it and fold, or come back next year with the sound and lyrics they have been known for and put them in the top spot for the genre (imo). Thank s for the break down :santa:
Fuck 'em
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="L Macey"]1 Omni Potens - intro with choral chanting, and a medieval vibe and basic military beat, a bit like hatework but stripped down a lot.

2 Too Extreme! - pounding club style song. guitars all the way through with electronic stomping beats. Dave shouting "this is your one warning" "we come to spread our doctrine insane" "we're too extreme" "pounding pounding" "we are your new religion". It's 6 mins long and very repetative. The bass break with the disco beat had me spit my tea out when I heard it the first time - it was a full on facepalm moment. This song is like something Ministry might have done, or some similar artist. The song stops and starts a lot with mini fake stops.

3 Existo - we've all heard this one - compared to a lot of the record it's like the 2nd coming of christ

4 Blades - myrkskog /zyklon / morbid in a blender. Modern dm song, good leads from Thor.

5 I'm Morbid - crowd chanting "morbid morbid morbid", kick drum comes in in time with the chants, cheesy sleazy riff comes in with slow double bass beat. has a real rock feel. Lyrics are a bit cheesy as is much of the record, like his stage banter stretched over a record. It's like metal warriors done by morbid angel. "i'm morbid, celebrating morbid victories, morbid wooah bring em to their knees oh"

6 10 More - nu metally song in a similar way to how enshrined was, but this isn't as extreme. 3rd quarter is gateways esque. a bit of a plodder bar the gateways bit

7 Destructos - marching pounding beat, guitars playing formulas esque discordant riff for 6 mins+ Dave singing over the top. Monotonous song. Lyrics about destructos coming to destroy everyone and him shouting "march, march". Attack is the last 30 seconds and its 270bpm with a triplet feel, like formulas on speed. There's a voiceover which says "so terrifying it may have an unforseen effect" which makes it seem like this bit is a jokey section...

8 - Nevermore - i prefer the live version from waldrock which is great, i probably listened to it too much to be fair. This one is slower in the middle section and the wooo-ooo-ahs are harmonised.

9 - Beauty Meets Beast - like ageless or beneath the hollow with 3 time feel and lots of kicks. Drumming is a lot like pete on this one. Quite melodic with Dave "singing" a bit and adding some melody in and some chants. Its similar to elegy of icaros by emperor imo, quite graceful sounding. Trey does a lead with the funny miking tech at the end. If the record was all along these lines - more melodic and a bit more mainstream but still morbid angel at the core I'd be reasonably happy. I think I like this one and Existo the best.

10 - Radikult - the first part is like <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI<!-- m --> cheesy industrial vibed song, pounding stomping club beat and the lyrics "we're living hardcore radical, we'll always be maniacal and animal" and what sounds like "kill a cop, cop kill a cop kill a kill killa cop cop" (he can't be saying those exact words surely but that's what it sounds like) with a kinda funky bass walk. ends in an instrumental bit with chants again

11 - mea culpa - gabba electronic song with pounding beats and dave singing and shouting with riffing underneath and "oooooo-aahhhs" etc

I didn't mention before but the lyrics are a long way from any of the other albums and seem to be straight up, they aren't talking about magic, the outer reaches of the mind, altered states or transcending, this is more down to earth stuff. In Radikult it sounds quite petulant and a bit like "we've been doing this shit since 1989 and we're gonna do whatever we like"[/quote]

Holy shit!
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="Derek Waters"] that kind of overt self-referential stuff is really, really disappointing.[/quote]

Self-referential lyrics only work if you're a gangsta rapper.

Actually, if Trey had got heavily into rap and hip-hop instead of techno we might have had some interesting results. How about a Morbid Angel collaboration with Necro?
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="L Macey"] interesting stuff[/quote]

Thanks for your insights. And for the effort of writing this all down.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]How about a Morbid Angel collaboration with Necro?[/quote]

:ban:
;,,;
Those Insane Gods

Post by Those Insane Gods »

Thanks Macey.
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]
[quote name="Derek Waters"] that kind of overt self-referential stuff is really, really disappointing.[/quote]

Self-referential lyrics only work if you're a gangsta rapper.

Actually, if Trey had got heavily into rap and hip-hop instead of techno we might have had some interesting results. How about a Morbid Angel collaboration with Necro?[/quote]

It also works for manowar, provide you're willing to accept manowar works on some level or another :redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I hate manowar and my expectations of the new MA album can't go any lower than they are now...
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:page9: has no expectations at all
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Those Insane Gods

I'm getting the new Gaga album the day it's released (23rd of Mai) and I expect Illud to be at least as fierce, clubby and banging.

:thingy: :thingy: :thingy:
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
Uros

Post by Uros »

LMacey, thanks a bunch for your long write up.

I am quite disappointed so far, so it's highly unlikely that I'm gonna buy this new CD, but you never know. Depends on what I hear (tbh - via leakage). There's just no way I'm gonna shell out money in the name of MA's previous catalog. I am not trusting them on this one, considering all said.

---------------------

Anyway, here's a prediction: No matter if this new album is gonna be revolutionary or just plain bad (heavily dependent on one's point of view), MA sales will probably be low-ish, probably even less than Heretic. So, the next Morbid Angel album's gonna see band 'back to their roots', in a similar fashion to Metallica and their last record.

Lots of mag adds like

'Pure, true Morbid Angel','Old skul', and so on.

Let's see what happens.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

* runs to cancel his pre-order*
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I'll probably buy it. I want to listen to the album while having the artwork and cd case with me... even if I'm very pessimistic about it, I still want to listen to it with honest ears.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="Shredlord"]* runs to cancel his pre-order*[/quote]

Ouch! What kind of backlash is going to come of this album? Could it be argued they are "truly believing" in this new endeavor and genuinely wish to break new ground in order to reach new ground? Or do they think we are all a bunch of fanboys? I just keep going from one side to the other. :homework:
Fuck 'em
Those Insane Gods

I think Trey has been wanting to experiment for a long time. People didn't give a fuck about Heretic and really didn't give it a chance. So he probably thought "fuck it. I'm going to do whatever I feel like doing this time. This might at least get some attention.". It must have felt pretty bad for him to see Heretic getting trashed by everyone from reviewers to so-called "fans" (who apparently didn't care enough about MA to get into it).
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

I am nowhere near the technical ear as others on here but I don't understand the dislike for Heretic either. I would prefer some bass guitar little more prevelant on there, but I found it to be a damn good album. It seemed they just kept the same progression, for lack of a better word, that was begun with Formulas. I could see Trey saying/doing that but 8 YEARS :eyes: and this. It just seems more and more there is a hug growing backlash and even those who have heard it early, I have not heard a single positive overall. I mean, that to me is telling, but shit!!!!!!!!
Fuck 'em
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="Shredlord"]* runs to cancel his pre-order*[/quote]

THE BACKLASH BEGINS.
Those Insane Gods

I'm honestly pretty sure I'm going to dig it. I remember the same thing happening with Dissection's Reinkaos. Everyone hated that album and wanted the band to sound like Storm of The Lights Bane. I love that album... But I really didn't want them to go back to that sound. I found Reinkaos to be brilliant, honest and clear in message. Everything made perfect sense. I have the feeling I will feel the same about Illud. Might take me a little time to get into it. But I'm both willing sure I will manage to do so. I'd much rather hear a fresh and hungry Industrial/Electronic inspired version of Morbid Angel than an uninspired rehash of Covenant.
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

David's vocals are fucking GREAT.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]I'd much rather hear a fresh and hungry Industrial/Electronic inspired version of Morbid Angel than an uninspired rehash of Covenant.[/quote]

This is part of it here for me. It was a big shock for me from BATS to Covenant to Domination and when Formulas came out, I dug that shit and felt they were moving forward. There has been great discussion on this already so I definitely won't rehash again, but it seems with this offering, well, they have really gone out there, but as so many other have stated already-- I need to hear it, ALL OF IT! Even with the overwhelming negative feedback so far for the album, though there is much more agreement about Existo specifically, since that is what most of us have to listen to, I am still excited to hear it. I am also eager to read/see/hear some hard hitting interviews with Trey and/or David about this one.

One thing that we can all agree on though is that it is definitely getting talked about!
Fuck 'em
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]I'm honestly pretty sure I'm going to dig it. I remember the same thing happening with Dissection's Reinkaos. Everyone hated that album and wanted the band to sound like Storm of The Lights Bane. I love that album... But I really didn't want them to go back to that sound. I found Reinkaos to be brilliant, honest and clear in message. Everything made perfect sense. I have the feeling I will feel the same about Illud. Might take me a little time to get into it. But I'm both willing sure I will manage to do so. I'd much rather hear a fresh and hungry Industrial/Electronic inspired version of Morbid Angel than an uninspired rehash of Covenant.[/quote]

Well, I have a pretty low opinion of Reinkaos, I didn't necessarily want another SotLB, but something on that level of quality would have certainly been agreeable. It sounded like Dissection-lite, completely soulless with boring rock and roll drumming and probably a whole host of other complaints I can't remember anymore since I haven't listened to it since it came out. However, despite my (and many others') protests, it at the very least had an internal consistency.

Based on what we know, I'm not so sure that can be said about the new MA; it sounds like they threw a couple dozen disparate ideas at the wall with the hopes that it'll all work out somehow. There are very few bands that can pull that sort of thing off at all, let alone masterfully (Mr. Bungle being the best and most obvious example off the top of my head). I'm skeptical. Morbid Angel covering new territory is obviously nothing new. What I'm afraid of is that they're covering a lot of previously-done-to-death territory, slapping it all together in one package, and calling it new.

'Gimmicky' is the word that's coming to mind, here.

But, if the new album is something you wind up loving or enjoying or even just not hating, more power to you. I'm just not so sure I'll be able to share in the sentiment.
Vooder
Mature Neophyte

Post by Vooder »

[youtube]S_vhP1TcqSA[/youtube]

L Macey, this is from "10 more dead"?
If it bleeds, we can kill it...
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

yeah
Those Insane Gods

[quote name="Derek Waters"]Well, I have a pretty low opinion of Reinkaos, I didn't necessarily want another SotLB, but something on that level of quality would have certainly been agreeable. It sounded like Dissection-lite, completely soulless with boring rock and roll drumming and probably a whole host of other complaints I can't remember anymore since I haven't listened to it since it came out. However, despite my (and many others') protests, it at the very least had an internal consistency.

Based on what we know, I'm not so sure that can be said about the new MA; it sounds like they threw a couple dozen disparate ideas at the wall with the hopes that it'll all work out somehow. There are very few bands that can pull that sort of thing off at all, let alone masterfully (Mr. Bungle being the best and most obvious example off the top of my head). I'm skeptical. Morbid Angel covering new territory is obviously nothing new. What I'm afraid of is that they're covering a lot of previously-done-to-death territory, slapping it all together in one package, and calling it new.

But, if the new album is something you wind up loving or enjoying or even just not hating, more power to you. I'm just not so sure I'll be able to share in the sentiment.[/quote]

I might be more than a little biased when it comes to Dissection since I knew members and hangarounds of MLO personally and talked to Jon about the album (among other things) before he offed himself. Once I managed to get past my initial alienation I really felt that Reinkaos made such perfect sense. It's maybe one of the most spiritual and occult albums in Metal history and the rock n' roll thing was what Jon always wanted to do. He was never much of a fan of extreme Metal. Musically it's actually pretty unique. It sounds nothing like In Flames or At The Gates if you really listen to it. The songwriting is top notch and so worked out to the smallest detail. It's not my preferred style of Metal, but it's very, very good for what it is. Anyway... That's a different discussion of course.

But there's one thing I really want to say. The albums that really have to potential to become favorites (to my experience) are usually those that initially cuts your ears. That's what Nile never managed to do with me. I fully understood what they where trying to do from the first moment I heard them. It got a little more catchy the more I listened (which is usually the case), but they lost me just as quick. Too safe. No thrill.

We'll see about Illud. What you said is probably the truth to some. We'll see if it's a truth that ends up fitting me.

Ps. What do you think about Heretic?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Heretic is probably my least favorite MA album, but it's still a good one.
Those Insane Gods

[quote name="Derek Waters"]Heretic is probably my least favorite MA album, but it's still a good one.[/quote]

Then look on the bright side. Illud has already gotten more press than Heretic had upon it's release and in the 8 years that has passed. This might give Heretic a second chance to shine.
Those Insane Gods

[quote name="L Macey"]yeah[/quote]

Can't really locate those nu-metally parts. This sounds more like Where The Slime Live than Enshrined By Grace. To me.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I'm not running to cancel my preorder. I think that I will enjoy it. Maybe it will not be my favorite Morbid Angel album and maybe it will even be my least favorite, but I am sure I will still feel it worthy of purchase.
;,,;
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

That's the fucking spirit :xx:
Fuck 'em
Jochen
Neophyte

Post by Jochen »

Even though I think every album except Domination is better, I still think Heretic is a solid album. The music and the arrangements are awesome. I really like the way Trey was able to work two different riffs over each other in some of the songs. And when Trey does some of the vocals, awesome. The only problem I have, which everyone else seems to, is the thin production. If it had production more akin to Gateways or Formulas it would have been much better.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote name="Jochen"]every album except Domination is better[/quote]

definitely agree
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

domination inches ahead for me, solely because of the leads in dominate and where the slime live :redneck:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]domination inches ahead for me, solely because of the leads in dominate and where the slime live :redneck:[/quote]

Don't forget the Gas Giant Theme lava in Inquisition which kicked off that awesome motif!
;,,;
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

[quote name="Vooder"][youtube]S_vhP1TcqSA[/youtube]

L Macey, this is from "10 more dead"?[/quote]

Needs more cowbell.

And...to be honest...that sounds like it's fucking great. Let's not throw our panties out the gay man&#39;s telescope till we've actually heard the whole thing, yeah?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

[quote name="Derek Waters"]domination inches ahead for me, solely because of the leads in dominate and where the slime live :redneck:[/quote]

i listened to domination again the other day and it was just...it was extremely repetitive and not only the lyrics but also their delivery really super-struck me as cheesy. the leads are tight as fuck but something about that album rings hollow for me where it didnt before. a-c are still tight as shit and probably always will be but domination lacks something. its like and justice for all in that regard i reckon
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="Svartmetall"]
[quote name="Vooder"][youtube]S_vhP1TcqSA[/youtube]

L Macey, this is from "10 more dead"?[/quote]

Needs more cowbell.[/quote]

:necro:
;,,;
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]
[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"]I'm honestly pretty sure I'm going to dig it. I remember the same thing happening with Dissection's Reinkaos. Everyone hated that album and wanted the band to sound like Storm of The Lights Bane. I love that album... But I really didn't want them to go back to that sound. I found Reinkaos to be brilliant, honest and clear in message. Everything made perfect sense. I have the feeling I will feel the same about Illud. Might take me a little time to get into it. But I'm both willing sure I will manage to do so. I'd much rather hear a fresh and hungry Industrial/Electronic inspired version of Morbid Angel than an uninspired rehash of Covenant.[/quote]

But, if the new album is something you wind up loving or enjoying or even just not hating, more power to you. I'm just not so sure I'll be able to share in the sentiment.[/quote]

I have to say this is pretty close to how I feel too. I have to admit the record has grown on me a bit even though I've been threatened with serious violence if I put it on again today :D It's an intriguing listen for sure and it's going to cause a massive ruckus when it lands.

[quote name="L Macey"]yeah[/quote]

Can't really locate those nu-metally parts. This sounds more like Where The Slime Live than Enshrined By Grace. To me.[/quote]

Well bear in mind you're listening to Tim jamming along to one guitar recorded through a video camera 5 m away...

On the record the song has an almost "modern metal" vibe, similar to how enshrined by grace has that touch of "nu metal bounce" about the first riff. Also the song starts a bit before this jamming video does, so you aren't hearing the actual start here. The middle is like gateways tho, the bit with the fast kicks and thrash beats etc. It's still a pretty solid track. But you won't care about how much or little nu metal similarities this track has when you heard Radikult :fonz:

Someone who heard 10 More Dead with me earlier said it reminded them a bit of Machine Head at the start. Said person is a long time MA and Vincent fan and it was saddening to see them do a very large number of face palms during the playback of the record and expressing similar opinions to what's been said already :( They said they liked Daves vocal delivery and bass sound though, and I agree the vocal delivery is really good, if a little mid ranged all the time (i prefer it when he mixes it up a bit more).

For what it's worth I really enjoy Domination and particularly the leads.
Vooder
Mature Neophyte

Post by Vooder »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]Heretic is probably my least favorite MA album, but it's still a good one.[/quote]

Then look on the bright side. Illud has already gotten more press than Heretic had upon it's release and in the 8 years that has passed. This might give Heretic a second chance to shine.[/quote]

:idea:
If it bleeds, we can kill it...