Existo Vulgoré *new song*

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Re: Existo Vulgoré *new song*

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

This song is way more old sounding than Gateways and Heretic :huh:
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

[quote name="Maze"]This song is way more old sounding than Gateways and Heretic :huh:[/quote]

Sounding old, sounding new, who cares as long it sounds good?

And it's really grown on me in the last few days; I'm now back to genuinely looking forward to getting the album again, rather than feeling like I bought it because it was the new MA rather than something I honestly felt would be good. The only problem I have with EV now is it makes me frustrated I haven't got the rest of the new stuff to listen to immediately after playing it...
Drum Solo

Post by Drum Solo »

This is a tough one to comment on.

I've been listening to MA for about 10 years now, and so I realize comparing one release to another is basically pointless (even more so in terms of other DM bands, since Trey apparently doesn't even listen to them).

That said, the track does sound a bit lazy. I really like it, but it no longer transcends much of anything. It's just another death metal tune that happens to feature the genre's brain trust. A short, honest review of the song would go: they've simply run out of ideas. And this is too bad, because I get the feeling that it's all downhill from here.
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="general lee"]
[quote name="DarkSurgeon"]
[quote name="general lee"]
[quote name="VARG"]

Still if so, I don't understand why a band would reunite with it's original vocalist to make just one album and then quit.[/quote]

Seems to be the trend lately what with Judas Priest and Nevermore. Hopefully not the case here though.[/quote]

I thought Nevermore had a completely stable lineup apart from their second guitarist?[/quote]

Apparently not. Loomis and Van Williams quit this week.[/quote]

I've heard about that. I was mainly contesting your point about band's reuniting for one record and then quiting.
my_shadow22
Neophyte

Post by my_shadow22 »

First post so a little background. I've been listening to MA since about 93 when I first saw the Rapture video. Trey is is the main reason I listen to this band and even really got into this kinda music. Now I may not feel the same way about Morbid Angel as I did when I first started listening to them and went to every concert I could 4-5 hours early to be first in line and be in front of trey etc etc but I will still call them one of my favorite bands. When I first heard this song I thought it was awesome. You can still hear the feeling in trey's playing and his solo has some cool ideas. Dave's vocals work and sound better than I was expecting. Drums are perfect. It's a good quick song. Kinda like Domination in that it has some parts you want to hear over and over but you prolly wont find anything new in the song a few months down the line like some other MA songs.

So i wont give it a :jizz: but I will give it a :grin: All in all i can't wait for the new record.
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

wHELLcome :grimsanta:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Fuck, I think I like this song a lot more now. I hope its not just my fanboyism kicking in.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

:necro:

As if there was any reason to dislike the song in the first place
VARG

Post by VARG »

[quote name="IRONMAN"]:necro:

As if there was any reason to dislike the song in the first place[/quote]

The music is awezome!! And even Dave's voice sounds pretty good.

Lyrics are the only thing that seem to be the weak point here.
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

Post by Conservative_Heretic »

[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]wHELLcome :grimsanta:[/quote]
Fuck 'em
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

I got to hear the full record today (not via a leak). I don't want to say too much about it (for a variety of reasons), but what I can say is that I think long time fans are going to be very surprised by the direction this record has taken... I'm not really sure who this record is aimed at.

There's a LOT of 'experimental' stuff, and as everyone has guessed not much "meat and potatoes". By this I don't mean it's "experimental music" rather it's Morbid Angel adding in different styles of music. I guess you could say this is 4 or 5 leaps on from Domination which had an industrial vibe... You could call a lot of this "Morbid Manson" That's not to say a lot of fans won't enjoy it a lot of course, depending on what you think of the genres they're mixing it up with.

In my opinion, this record is almost unrecognisable as 'classic' Morbid Angel for the most part. It's sleazy in places and has a dirty kinda bluesy rock vibe. Guessing and without seeing the credits, it sounds to me like it's David Vincent's baby (it sounds a lot like Genitorturers in places) and there's very few "Treyisms" on it. Taking a guess at which bits Thor contributed, they're decent and sound reminiscent of Zyklon / Mrkskog (as others have already said) but IMO maybe a bit better than anything those bands have produced.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

[quote name="L Macey"]I got to hear the full record today (not via a leak). I don't want to say too much about it (for a variety of reasons), but what I can say is that I think long time fans are going to be very surprised by the direction this record has taken... I'm not really sure who this record is aimed at.

There's a LOT of 'experimental' stuff, and as everyone has guessed not much "meat and potatoes". By this I don't mean it's "experimental music" rather it's Morbid Angel adding in different styles of music. I guess you could say this is 4 or 5 leaps on from Domination which had an industrial vibe... You could call a lot of this "Morbid Manson" :oldryan: That's not to say a lot of fans won't enjoy it a lot of course, depending on what you think of the genres they're mixing it up with.

In my opinion, this record is almost unrecognisable as 'classic' Morbid Angel for the most part. Guessing and without seeing the credits, it sounds to me like it's David Vincent's baby (it sounds a lot like Genitorturers in places) and there's very few "Treyisms" on it. Taking a guess at which bits Thor contributed, they're decent and sound reminiscent of Zyklon / Mrkskog (as others have already said) but IMO maybe a bit better than anything those bands have produced.[/quote]

agreed. i heard it two days ago and had much the same feelings. not really MA in the sense that we know them. sounds more like another band has been influenced by MA and then MA was influenced by their record and this is the result. sort of in the way that god hates us all has more in common with slipknot than classic slayer
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

using the slayer analogy, I think "illud" is way more like their "new influences" than how close god hates us all is to slipknot
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

that is a bold statement indeed
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

yeah it is :interessant:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I think that I will enjoy it.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="Dusto"]agreed. i heard it two days ago and had much the same feelings[/quote]

how in the fuck
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Post by Olden Polynice »

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

[quote name="pulsar"]I think that I will enjoy it.[/quote]
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="rhino"]
[quote name="pulsar"]I know that ryan will enjoy it.[/quote][/quote]
my_shadow22
Neophyte

Post by my_shadow22 »

So you guys that heard this record are telling me that Nevermore and Existo are the only "death metal" songs on the record?! Morbid Manson?! what the fuck is that?!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="my_shadow22"]So you guys that heard this record are telling me that Nevermore and Existo are the only "death metal" songs on the record?! [/quote]

No one said that.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
my_shadow22
Neophyte

Post by my_shadow22 »

[quote name="L Macey"]

There's a LOT of 'experimental' stuff, and as everyone has guessed not much "meat and potatoes". By this I don't mean it's "experimental music" rather it's Morbid Angel adding in different styles of music. I guess you could say this is 4 or 5 leaps on from Domination which had an industrial vibe... You could call a lot of this "Morbid Manson" :oldryan: That's not to say a lot of fans won't enjoy it a lot of course, depending on what you think of the genres they're mixing it up with.

In my opinion, this record is almost unrecognisable as 'classic' Morbid Angel for the most part. It's sleazy in places and has a dirty kinda bluesy rock vibe. Guessing and without seeing the credits, it sounds to me like it's David Vincent's baby (it sounds a lot like Genitorturers in places) and there's very few "Treyisms" on it. Taking a guess at which bits Thor contributed, they're decent and sound reminiscent of Zyklon / Mrkskog (as others have already said) but IMO maybe a bit better than anything those bands have produced.[/quote]

Yes they did. It's just sooooo hard for me to imagine a record like this person is describing.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I see no 'except Existo and Nevermore'. :shake: :necro:
;,,;
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One
Location: Whores are people too ... And they like getting fucked ... Oblige them

[quote name="Dusto"]
[quote name="L Macey"]I got to hear the full record today (not via a leak). I don't want to say too much about it (for a variety of reasons), but what I can say is that I think long time fans are going to be very surprised by the direction this record has taken... I'm not really sure who this record is aimed at.

In my opinion, this record is almost unrecognisable as 'classic' Morbid Angel for the most part. Guessing and without seeing the credits, it sounds to me like it's David Vincent's baby (it sounds a lot like Genitorturers in places) and there's very few "Treyisms" on it. Taking a guess at which bits Thor contributed, they're decent and sound reminiscent of Zyklon / Mrkskog (as others have already said) but IMO maybe a bit better than anything those bands have produced.[/quote]

agreed. i heard it two days ago and had much the same feelings. not really MA in the sense that we know them. sounds more like another band has been influenced by MA and then MA was influenced by their record and this is the result.[/quote]

Say it ain't so Jo. I keep hearing the same shit.
Fuck 'em
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="Derek Waters"]
[quote name="Dusto"]agreed. i heard it two days ago and had much the same feelings[/quote]

how in the fuck[/quote]
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

VARG

Post by VARG »

[quote name="COCK BALLS PUBE TITS"]

how in the fuck[/quote][/quote]
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

Fuck 'em
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote name="VARG"]
[quote name="COCK BALLS PUBE devy's clits"]

how in the fuck[/quote][/quote][/quote]

He's lying.
Those Insane Gods

Post by Those Insane Gods »

That's what I thought.
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
Tea
God of Emptiness

Post by Tea »

I heard it 3 days ago and well... Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of a LOT of music. I love world, blues, hip hop and I LOVE electronic (amongst loads more genres... I pretty much like everything except country). I go to raves often and I only barely prefer metal as my favourite musical genre to electronic. And well uh, honestly, I'm not impressed. I was looking forward to this record, really. My favourite death metal band using electronic influences, awesome I thought, right? No... It's not bad, but it's not Morbid Angel. Like someone said it definitely sounds like an industrial metal band that was influenced by Morbid Angel. Again as someone said earlier, Morbid Manson is a good way to put it. David's influence is way too much I think. It's like Domination gone way too far in my opinion.

Like I said, it's not bad, not at all. But it's not great. And the fact that it's a Morbid Angel album really makes you "Huh." at it. I really hope the next album is not like this, if there even is a next album. I was always skeptical of David's return and it seems my suspicions were right...

Thor's stuff was pretty neat though.
Those Insane Gods

I guess this is a fitting place to pull out one of Trey's favorite Deepak Chopra quotes: "the meaning that you give the event is the event"

I simply love the sound of Existo Vulgore, the riffing in 10 More Dead (can be heard on youtube) and the short clip I have heard of Nevermore. I hear a band full of conviction and I find David's performance far more alive and sincere than Steve ever was (Steve always came off as Trey's hired gun. A competent but transparent individual who wouldn't cause him trouble like David did...). I DON'T think this sounds like a David Vincent solo album like some others have said. This reeks of Trey's playful side. It's like a super groovy Quake version of Morbid Angel. The solo at the end of Existo is more Van Halen like than anything he has done in the past. It's a weird juxtaposition. It seems back to the roots and futuristic at the same time. Can't wait to hear the rest.
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.com/ - blog dedicated to the angel of morbidity
Conservative_Heretic
Ancient One

[quote name="WhereTheSlimeLives"] Can't wait to hear the rest.[/quote]

:idea:
Fuck 'em
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

To the people who heard it already...

There are 6 "Death Metal" tracks on it right? An intro and outro so that leaves 3 experiments. Are those three so alienating as to dub the band Morbid Manson? Or are some of the 6 other tracks also some fusion between styles? I am getting more and more anxious to hear it.

I am really looking forward seeing the credits as i feel Trey had his hand in a lot more stuff than people think.
Those Insane Gods

[quote name="uni777"]To the people who heard it already...

There are 6 "Death Metal" tracks on it right? An intro and outro so that leaves 3 experiments. Are those three so alienating as to dub the band Morbid Manson? Or are some of the 6 other tracks also some fusion between styles? I am getting more and more anxious to hear it.

I am really looking forward seeing the credits as i feel Trey had his hand in a lot more stuff than people think.[/quote]

I have the feeling that it's a bunch of trolling...
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Some of the folk making those statements are IMO not the trolling persona. Maybe dissapointed...
Uros

Post by Uros »

Yeah, L Macey is a hard-on bearer from Mithras, if I'm not mistaken.

I am getting more and more disappointed at a really fast rate, especially after every time I pay visit to this forum (I do it like every few days). Both songs I've heard to me sound like average Domination songs at best (to be fair, Nevermore sounds like a mix of D&H stuff, and it isn't terrible; on the other hand, EV is bad IMO). This just cannot be good, but I am reeeeeealy want to be proven wrong. :vomit:
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

Yeah I'm not a troll or bullshitting because I'm disappointed. Seriously, you're all going to be surprised when you hear the full record.

"Morbid Manson" is actually apt for some of it and I really don't hear the "hand of Trey" on this that much, at least not in the way you'd recognise after 8 albums, there's probably 4 or 5 Trey solos including the ones everyone has heard already.

Existo Vulgore and Nevermore are about the only tracks on there you'd recognise instantly as Morbid Angel if you caught a quick listen, maybe "Beauty Meets Beast" (which I like actually, and is more what I expected this album to be, a bit "experimental" but still sounding like Morbid Angel, maybe GOE esque) The two Thor songs are pretty good, but as Gene suggested more like Myrkskog, so that makes 5 dm tracks, with the rest ranging between the intro which is blessed esque maybe to gabba, to sleazy rock, to pounding club style tracks etc. The most extreme bit on the record is "Attack" which is about 30s of Formulas esque riffing and really fast blasting, but the way it's setup with the voiceover makes it seem like a jokey afterthought almost, which is a shame.

"Radikult" will probably have some ultra hardcore fans projectile vomiting, it's like Dave Vincent doing a take on Rob Zombies "Dragula". I think other people predictions and comments re: the lyrical content are pretty spot on too. "I'm Morbid" is like Manowars "Metal Warriors", a sleazier rocky track you can almost imagine Judas Priest playing to a big stadium..

The record is not what some people on here predicted - a "gabba nightmare" and what's on there is pretty decently done, it's just so far away from what anyone would expect and a lot of it isn't much like Morbid Angel bar Dave's vocals (which all seem pretty midranged to me, bar the clean bits he does in Nevermore and elsewhere). The record is possibly incredibly brave, totally naive or just totally insane... but not in the way Covenant and Formulas are.

The few other people who heard it with me are Morbid Angel fans going back to the release of Altars and they went totally berzerk on "Too Extreme" when the disco beat and the groovy bass kick in, but I'm restraining myself, as i like a lot of different music. I reckon some fans will be able to accept this record and others will cry tears of blood; but mark my words it's not going to be pretty on here once it leaks.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

[quote name="L Macey"]Morbid Angel [...] Rob Zombies "Dragula".[...] Manowars "Metal Warriors"[/quote]

oh, fuck. :eyes:

i've really, really been trying to avoid speculation and just overthinking generally about this album since my earlier comments on EV, because i want to try and give the album a fair shake on release. but, i think that's pretty much ruined now, haha.

at any rate, your take on the material is highly appreciated, even if it is a bit soul-crushing.
my_shadow22
Neophyte

Post by my_shadow22 »

wow... I really can't believe what I'm hearing. Groovy bass and disco beat?! Prolly the furthest thing I would think someone would say in describing a Morbid Angel record. Well besides church hymns or sumthin...

I'm pretty anxious to read some new Trey interviews to hear what he has to say about this stuff. Ugh, Morbid Manson :(
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

I'm sorry Derek, it sucks to have to say all that and part of me wishes I hadn't said anything, apologies. Morbid Angel are one of my favourite bands of all time (who could have guessed!) and when i heard Existo I was pretty down about it as it didn't really show anything new (as Beano will attest), now it's my favourite track on the record... One of the upsides for me is that Pete Sandoval isn't actually on this record.

The thing is, I like a lot of Manowar as I guess some people here will do, and I know people who like White Zombie and Marylin Manson as well as Morbid Angel, but having the lot chucked into a blender is just weird. Morbid Angel should have been able to knock out a fucking totally killer record in 8 years - I honestly think me and Beano could make a more "Morbid Angel" like record in a few weeks if we had the time spare.

I guess it's true that there's just about more of what you could almost call "death metal" than anything else on the record, but the other tracks are so wildly away from the Morbid Angel sound I'm not sure people will be able to accept the album at all. This is almost going to be like Cryptopsy's "The Unspoken King" :alien:

I do have a lot of respect for Morbid Angel for trying something so totally outre to what anyone would expect and the thing is, I can sorta understand where Morbid Angel and Dave Vincent are coming from here (having seen Daves recent stage show, and reading what bands he is into etc), and what's influenced the record but I don't think the rest of the world is going to be ready for it, imo it would have been better received in the mid 90's.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

haha, no worries my good sir, if nothing else it'll soften the blow once the real deal arrives.

i have a certain... appreciation for manowar, sure! :redneck: back in the day when i used to hang with the local metal crowd we had plenty of silly drunken singalongs to manowar. but i'm not sure where or how that element fits into a morbid angel record. my assumption here is that it doesn't do so in a very graceful way.

I honestly think me and Beano could make a more "Morbid Angel" like record in a few weeks if we had the time spare.

the both of you should put in for some vacation time at work!
L Macey
Mature Neophyte

Post by L Macey »

We already did one record which isn't out yet, it's pretty fucked up and mental crazy but in a pretty different way to the new MA.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="L Macey"]One of the upsides for me is that Pete Sandoval isn't actually on this record.[/quote]

You don't like Pete?
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

perhaps he meant it like, it's fortunate in that his name is not attached to an album that could potentially alienate a large portion of the band's fanbase? :huh:
RitesOfPossession
God of Emptiness

Post by RitesOfPossession »

[quote name="L Macey"]there's probably 4 or 5 Trey solos including the ones everyone has heard already.[/quote]

Only four or five on the whol album? That's crazy... on Altars there was at least three on every song.
Spirits of the Deep Waters
Ancient One

Post by Spirits of the Deep Waters »

We've all heard Existo Vulgore, and we've all heard Nevermore. IMO, these are 100% awesome Morbid Angel songs, both in production and musically. And what the hell, how can you compare the new MA to the Unspoken King? That is fucking insane. Morbid Angels path is 10000 miles away from a band like Cryptopsy. Morbid Angel will always do something diffrent. Just shut up and let the record speak for it self when it comes out. Everyone here at this board does have the competense to go out and buy it and find out for themselves how the album is, and what it is to them . And all you possessors of "inside-information" about the new album, keep your pessimism to your self.
Those Insane Gods

Let's keep a good tone. L Macey seems like a good hard-on bearer and he did apologize to those who didn't want their initial encounter with Illud soaked in other peoples opinions (those people probably shouldn't hang around here anyway...). But none of the summaries I have read this far have made me any wiser. It's been confusing at best.

Like my_shadow22 said "I'm pretty anxious to read some new Trey interviews to hear what he has to say about this stuff.". I want to "get it". I want to be able to feel and grasp the idea. Then I'll be able to decide whether it'll work for me or not. I'm already perfectly aware that this won't be Covenant part 2 or anything like the records with Steve. I'm cool with that. But references like "Morbid Manson", Gabba, "Clubby" and The Unspoken king... What the hell is that? It doesn't really tell me anything.

L Macey, I don't know if you have the time or even care. But it would be super duper awesome if you could give me a more detailed description of the two tracks Too Extreme! and Beauty Meets Beast. I would REALLY appreciate that.

Ps. Sorry for accusing you of being a troll :redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

What he said. :santa:
vega
Metal God

Post by vega »

[quote name="Maze"] Just shut up and let the record speak for it self when it comes out. Everyone here at this board does have the competense to go out and buy it and find out for themselves how the album is, and what it is to them . And all you possessors of "inside-information" about the new album, keep your pessimism to your self.[/quote]

:judge:

thanks! you have return my confidence :xx: