Nile to enter Mana Recording Studios!!!

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
vO)))id
Metal God

Nile to enter Mana Recording Studios!!!

Post by vO)))id »

From Erik's myspace:

World Management would like to announce that Nile will be entering he studio for their forthcoming second Album on Nuclear Blast on June 8th at Mana Recording in Tampa Florida. The band will be working again with Neil Kernon as Producer and have added Erik Rutan to the team as Engineer at his studio. The band will record at several locations throughout June and July. A mid October 2009 release is being planed world wide on Nuclear Blast. Nile will then tour Europe in November of 2009 and January / February 2010 in North America, followed by tours in Australia, South America, Japan Pacific Rim and India. Stay tuned for tour news and further updates TBA.

*"I'm really thrilled to be working on another album with Nile. This will be the third album we've done together, and we have a great working relationship in the studio that has only improved with time. I am certain that this record will be our strongest team effort yet.

It will also be a lot of fun to meet and work with Erik Rutan, who is going to be involved with the engineering end of things. I've been a fan of Erik's work in Hate Eternal and also his studio work for some time. He has a strong work ethic, and I'm very optimistic that this collaboration will be fruitful and inspiring for all of us." ....Neil Kernon

*"Having Nile, one of the best bands in the genre, recording with me at Mana is a tremendous honor. I very much look forward to this collaboration with Nile and Neil Kernon to make an amazing death metal classic!" ....Erik Rutan

:xx:
User
Metal God

Re: Nile to enter Mana Recording Studios!!!

Post by User »

:interessant:
more metal
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Luke"]:interessant:[/quote]
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

i wonder if this one will have more 'life' to it? I find their albums sound 'flat' & 'stale' (but the music itself is good)
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

My anticipation for the new Nile record just went up because of this.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Holy fucking awesome news. Maybe they'll ask Erik to do a guest solo while they're at it. :bulb::::::::::: I mean Karl did one for MA and Roddy played on bsov, seems feasible.
Bathsalt Zombie
Ancient One

Post by Bathsalt Zombie »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="Luke"]:interessant:[/quote][/quote]
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

what is his myspace?
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Oh damn I don't give a shit about this!!! Holy crap!
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="ManOfSteel"]Oh damn I don't give a shit about this!!! Holy crap![/quote]

go watch the news and get upset
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

this is awesome news! :xx: :xx: can't wait to hear it
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]what is his myspace?[/quote]

the hate eternal one and the mana recording studios one :santa:

i agree with fukket's comment... i hope this one is going to sound more alive. :santa:
Teresa
Ancient One

Post by Teresa »

That's enough.
why you wanna trip on me
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="shadowalk"]My anticipation for the new Nile record just went up because of this.[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="FUKKET"]i wonder if this one will have more 'life' to it? I find their albums sound 'flat' & 'stale' (but the music itself is good)[/quote]

Oh, I guarantee you it will. Rutan has the most earthy sound, because he records to tape instead of computer.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

yep, analog ftw!!! I did some pretty cool things with tape (tape echo, tape reverse, etc.) at school in an analog studio... :xx:
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

I'm not a fan of the AOTW or Ithyphallic production. Rutan's organic sound should be a welcome addition. A low end would be nice for once :krinor:
Mortuary Riot

Post by Mortuary Riot »

:bang:

Im hoping this is good.
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="HbW"]
[quote name="FUKKET"]i wonder if this one will have more 'life' to it? I find their albums sound 'flat' & 'stale' (but the music itself is good)[/quote]

Oh, I guarantee you it will. Rutan has the most earthy sound, because he records to tape instead of computer.[/quote]

:mmno:

Yeah, CC has really organic sound on their last one.

Using analog tape doesn't mean a shit.

Also, what you say is wrong. He's using ProTools, like most of other studios.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

No, he records to tape. He may or may not mix it on computer, I don't really know. And go listen to "Kill" and tell me that's not an organic sound. Rutan is famous for using tape in the studio, although he may have decided not to use it on the last CC album.

Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="HbW"]No, he records to tape. He may or may not mix it on computer, I don't really know. And go listen to "Kill" and tell me that's not an organic sound. Rutan is famous for using tape in the studio, although he may have decided not to use it on the last CC album.[/quote]

It isn't. If anything, he managed to fuck up their drum sound. Now, I don't say it's sterile, or anything, but it definitely is not organic. I personally think he is a good producer, but let's not be fanboys, spilling lies. And I don't know in what world is he "famous for using tape in the studio" how you say.

Tape you are talking about, he does not use it in a way you're are talking about. Because if he would do that, whole recording process would be so much more expensive (that's the main reason why in the past there were not so many bands that would record albums). What he maybe does is - recording and editing through a DAW (ProTools/Cubase/...) and than just "export" it on a tape, but that's whole other thing than recording straight to the tape. That will give some of saturation to the sound, but will not sound as if that album was recorded straight to the tape and than mixed, mastered and whatnot.

If I remember correctly, the story goes he started Mana studios when he got an analog tape, or something. Maybe you mixed it up or something, I don't know.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

Dude, I've seen interviews with him talking about why he records to tape instead of digital.

Uros

Post by Uros »

Care to provide links?

Maybe you didn't understand it right, maybe he's lying, maybe this or that...
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

No no no he does record to tape. In fact, he got the machine from Morrissound and it was used on a certain MA album. He does in fact use it.

see the DVD that comes with the new CC.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

...or was it a video for the recording of Kill? Fuck, I forgot.
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

Yeah, that's the one, from Morrisound! And for recording straight to the tape...I highly doubt it.

edit:

I have found some useful interview. So it is like I said it is.

http://punktv.ca/news/105/ARTICLE/3137/2008-01-29.html

some of the quotations:

"...I do think that Pro Tools is being over used now. I think it is a great tool, and obviously I love Pro Tools and I use it all the time and I don’t know what I would do without Pro Tools because it is an amazing program, but I think that it is being over used."

"...What would I do without Pro Tools I have no idea because I love using the program and it is the best program out there. I love analog and I love digital, but even recording to Pro Tools I am running through an analog console, analog mic pres, analog compressors. I mean, everything is going through some kind of analog chain and I mix externally through an analog console so even though I am going digital, I am coloring it with analog everything. "

He also speaks about triggering and stuff which ofc you couldn't use with going pure analog.

I'll stop now, I just reacted on jerking off to Rutan.

Hijacking finished.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

[quote name="Uros"]

"...What would I do without Pro Tools I have no idea because I love using the program and it is the best program out there. I love analog and I love digital, but even recording to Pro Tools I am running through an analog console, analog mic pres, analog compressors. I mean, everything is going through some kind of analog chain and I mix externally through an analog console so even though I am going digital, I am coloring it with analog everything. "

He also speaks about triggering and stuff which ofc you couldn't use with going pure analog.[/quote]

So...basically what I was saying. Also, triggering isn't done on the computer, it's done with triggering modules. They go straight into the board just like everything else.

Anyway, I never said he's God or anything.

Uros

Post by Uros »

No, you said "to tape".

Today most of studios that can afford it (i.e every serious studio) use also "analog compressors, outboard gear, mic pres"etc...so it's hardly something rare.

- When I said "triggering" I meant "sampling", my bad.

So I have read this interview entirely and he said that sometimes when some bands want it raw he records them to tape but then dump it to analog, but it still goes through A/D conversion.

I guess I got irritated, because I see other people elsewhere jerking all over to analog, when essentially they couldn't tell the difference if you'd give them couple of samples to listen and compare.

I like old recordings done this way too, but that time is gone (especially for extreme Metal because of techniques it uses), and in this period in time there are other rules.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Recording to tape is so fucking expensive these days, and it is A LOOOOOOT of work if you're not using anything like ProTools or something digital.

In the end (these days for CD's) everything goes through an A/D (analog -> digital) converter.

But how Erik uses his recording stuff exactly would be something you'd have to see for yourself.
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="Void"]Recording to tape is so fucking expensive these days[/quote]

Always was ;)

[quote name="Void"]and it is A LOOOOOOT of work[/quote]

Always was :hard-on bearer:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

*halfway into the Where the slime lives solo*

Uh sorry Trey we ran out of tape.

FUCK.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i fucked around with tape recording on an ancient 4-track ages ago, and even that was a bitch. i can't begin to imagine how involved a project using a 24 track and all that good stuff would be o-0
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Lavabug"]*halfway into the Where the slime lives solo*

FUCK.[/quote]

:MURDER:
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="zim"]
[quote name="Lavabug"]*halfway into the Where the slime lives solo*

FUCK.[/quote]

:MURDER:[/quote]

Or maybe this song was ment to be recorded double speed?

The data was caught in the player and thus strecthed so that the song become longer.
:xx:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

[quote name="ManOfSteel"]Oh damn I don't give a shit about this!!! Holy crap![/quote]

why bother taking the time to click on the thread title, the reply button, then type out a reply?
ImageImageImageImage