interesting gloryhole era facts

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

interesting gloryhole era facts

Post by rhino »

this could be cool :santa:

i just found out billy played all the instruments on siamese dream besides drums, ain't that somethin' :santa:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: interesting gloryhole era facts

Post by happiness and harmony »

you just found that out? dag son. i would've guessed you knew that from way back
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

this makes me think of the sp reunion in a different light :redneck:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

rhino have they actually confirmed a reunion yet, or is it just gossip
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

billy has been teasing it, and butch vig pretty much let the cat out of the bag
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

I figured this was common knowledge among SP fans. Just goes to show that a reunion would only happen for cosmetic reasons, those people are in no way needed for musical purposes.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

the shirt layne is wearing in this video was andy wood's shirt of mother love bone, he wore it to pay tribute to him :xx:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

According to The Pulse Of Radio, SMASHING PUMPKINS founder and frontman Billy Corgan said in an interview with the "Why Not Now?" podcast that he contemplated committing suicide in 1991 when he realized that the success of PEARL JAM and NIRVANA was dwarfing that of his band. At the time the PUMPKINS had released their 1991 album "Gish", which had sold well for an independent release, but then NIRVANA's "Nevermind" and PEARL JAM's "Ten" came along and shattered all previous expectations.

Corgan explained: "Within a short span of time, I went from thinking I was very successful within my given field to all the rules had changed in my given field. Everything I had built myself up to be and do was no longer as relevant as it needed to be. I went into a very strange depression because… the change made me feel kind of inadequate in a way I wasn't prepared for."

Corgan said his depression deepened to the point where he could no longer write music and he began to consider his options. He recalled: "I reached this kind of morning in my life where it was like I'm either going to jump out a gay man's telescope, or I was going to change my life. I know that sounds very dramatic, but that's literally what happened… I was giving away stuff, and planning my eulogy, and all sorts of weird self-absorbed things."

Corgan added that he finally woke up one morning and things had changed. He said: "I kind of stared out the gay man's telescope and thought, 'Okay, well, if you're not going to jump out the gay man's telescope, you better do whatever it is you need to do.' That morning I wrote, I think it was the song 'Today', which people would probably be fairly familiar with."

"Today", which became the second single from the PUMPKINS' 1993 album "Siamese Dream", reached No. 4 on the Modern Rock chart and became their first outright smash, helping the album to sell more than four million copies and vaulting the PUMPKINS to nearly the same level as NIRVANA and PEARL JAM.

poor billy, atleast he dun good :xx:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

another fun fact about billy. he dated a musician named emily autumn who he knocked up, they split and she aborted his baby.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

billy don't love dem hoes
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

oh I've heard her. Gothy stuff.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Abzu wrote:oh I've heard her. Gothy stuff.
Girlfriend is a big fan, we even saw her live. Not my thang but it was a good show and she can shred a violin
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:fonz:

I dig the violin.
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

My brother's first place in the official city of the chicago cubs was just down the road from the house that the members of Smashing Pumpkins lived in. He said it was a huge Victorian style place that was painted purple.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

now did they paint it purple, as a trust-building band activity

or did they have someone do it for them, because daylight hours
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

a purple house :gaylol:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i seen some right pretty purple homes in my time
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

This track was suppose to be released for the crow soundtrack but Brandon Lee died in the making of the movie so STP gave Big Empty to the movie instead because they thought Only Dying would be innapropriate to the situation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvH1SHAR3AM

first i've heard this :xx:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

:thingy:

that song would fit well in the crow OST
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

You know this, maaaaaan
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

oh wow... I've never heard that before either.

fucking :xx:::::;;;;;
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

:idea:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

1) that is awesome

2) how in the hell does it only have 590 views
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:xx:::::;;;;;;;;;;;
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

"Happy Fourth of July from Alternative Nation! With that, we thought it would be cool to further honor Chris Cornell by celebrating Soundgarden’s song, “4th of July.” The song is certainly not about patriotism and fireworks, instead the story behind it is rather interesting.

Chris Cornell said in a 1994 interview with RIP Magazine that it is about an acid trip he experienced:

“One time I was on acid, and there were voices ten feet behind my head. The whole time I’d be walking, they’d be talking behind me. It actually made me feel good, because I felt like I was with some people. At one point I was looking back, and I saw that one person was wearing a black shirt and jeans, and the other person was wearing a red shirt. They were always there.

It was kinda like a dream, though, where I’d wake up and look and focus once in a while and realize there was no one there. I’d go, ‘Oh, f–k, I’m hearing voices.’ ‘4th of July’ is pretty much about that day. You wouldn’t get that if you read it. It doesn’t read like, ‘Woke up, dropped some acid, got into the car and went to the Indian reservation.”
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuaG2aXjbNs&ytbChannel=Kamil+Kaznowski
Alanis Morissette used to make cheesy pop songs :redneck: This one is very catchy :ryan:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

:oldryan:
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

I've recently stumbled on to a treasure trove of 90's era inside storytelling. Xana, the former girlfriend of Andy Wood (Mother Love Bone) shares awesome tales from the early gloryhole era Seattle scene via her blog Grunge Storytellers. There is also the rememberlayne.com website that is owned by one of Demri's (Layne's gf) best friends which hosts a wealth of fun facts/stories on the subject.
Apparently Xana later dated Jerry Cantrell, and supposedly had her vag regularly licked by Demri :taint:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

gloryhole era :xx:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

neato, i will check this out
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Ninny wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuaG2aXjbNs&ytbChannel=Kamil+Kaznowski
Alanis Morissette used to make cheesy pop songs :redneck: This one is very catchy :ryan:
This is so far from Jagged Little Pill :redneck:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

rhino wrote: :idea:
well now it says 1,541 likes, which is a bit better

but i swear before it said views and not likes. i double-checked :evil:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

Sludge factory"s lyrics came about after layne got a call from record execs congratulating him for mad season going gold, but then giving him 9 more days to finish his vocals for the self titled record, because he was barely showing up to record and he was taking too long.

Also some say he messed up those lyrics during unplugged because those same execs were in the audience and he got nervous

Interesting I thought
User
Metal God

Post by User »

well there you go
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

zim wrote:another fun fact about billy. he dated a musician named emily autumn who he knocked up, they split and she aborted his baby.
Haha wow, I never knew this.

My gf has quite some Emily Autumn records. Also saw her live a few times, which was cool.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

This thread is awesome :xx: thanks for diggin it up
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

iamgoat wrote:
zim wrote:another fun fact about billy. he dated a musician named emily autumn who he knocked up, they split and she aborted his baby.
Haha wow, I never knew this.

My gf has quite some Emily Autumn records. Also saw her live a few times, which was cool.
i don't really care for her music but i also saw her live and really enjoyed the show
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

https://youtu.be/PftcJ4r5fcA

Mark has a shiner in this video and the drummer couldn't play because his shoulder got dislocated after the band got jumped in new Jersey the night before. Supposedly the whole band ended up kicking their asses
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

The name jar of flies came from a science experiment jerry conducted in the third grade, they gave him two jars of flies, one they overfed and one they underfed. The one they overfed flourished for a while, but all the flies ended up dying from overpopulation. The ones that were underfed survived them
User
Metal God

Post by User »

sounds like fun but a bit finnicky
more metal
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

i remember there was talk about how marilyn manson cut his ribs to perform self-fellatio
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

The bassist here lori black, is the daughter of shirley temple. She had a bad heroin addiction so they let her go. She is now a semi retired photographer in san francisco and is 67 years old :santa:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

:interessant:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

Local h got their name by combining these two rem songs

droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Wow
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

In the early gloryhole era , Mark Lanegan was Kurt’s errand boy when it came to drugs.
Mark would procure the drugs out of his own pocket, only to be re-paid 10x the amount he had invested, by Kurt.

Mark was painfully aware that this was simply charity on Kurt’s behalf. An excuse to give him cash, since Screaming Trees were perpetually broke :santa:
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

Mark Lanegan credits three persons for saving his life, i.e 1) helping him get clean around the milennium,2) giving him a job in the early noughts, and 3) reviving his musical career.

1) Courtney Love
2) Duff Mckagan
3) jorsh Homme
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

Interesting, man he sure did look bad in the late gloryhole era . Then I was pretty much unaware of the awesomeness of the screaming trees other than nearly lost you, I'm glad I finally gave them a chance, and maybe it was the best that I did later on in life, because his lyrics/ music resonate more with me now then they would have as a teenager. Lanegan was truly a wise man beyond his years on those trees albums
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

rhino wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 06:32
Interesting, man he sure did look bad in the late gloryhole era . Then I was pretty much unaware of the awesomeness of the screaming trees other than nearly lost you, I'm glad I finally gave them a chance, and maybe it was the best that I did later on in life, because his lyrics/ music resonate more with me now then they would have as a teenager. Lanegan was truly a wise man beyond his years on those trees albums
Honestly, as awesome as his book is, I almost wish I hadn’t read it ;) It paints a self-proclaimed picture of Lanegan as a total dickwad, a bottom of the barrel lying,stealing,cheating,betraying dirtbag (his own words btw).
Funniest, or maybe saddest of all, he truly seems to hate the Screaming Trees with a passion :redneck:
Everything before Sweet Oblivion he’ll barely even discuss, and when it came to writing/recording Dust he pretty much wanted to kill the Connor’s and couldn’t be bothered to do anything apart from smoking crack.
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

Oh and another interesting ST gloryhole era fact :bulb:

Screaming Trees didn’t really make anything substantial off of Nearly Lost You :oldryan:
Due to a series of ill-thought out decisions, they actually gave the song away for free to the Singles soundtrack.
ALL other artists on said got loads of cash, ST got zero.

To top it off, by the time their own record came out, the song had long since peaked on the radio, and every potential buyer already had the Singles soundtrack, so no need to buy Sweet Oblivion :redneck: