bands who should be huge

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

bands who should be huge

Post by happiness and harmony »

i mean like multi-platinum, arena-level huge

another way of asking this is which current bands would have been huge if they had existed 20 or 30 years earlier

queens is probably the best example. if they had been around in the 70s they would have been one of the biggest rock bands of the day: sweet melodies, radio-friendly hooks, mostly short songs but with loads of variety, and ample live jamming :rocker:

to that extent villains is probably the album of theirs that would be the best fit in the early 80s dance scene :redneck:

i think mastodon is another good example, if they had been around in the 70s or 80s they would have been kings of the underground and then broken out with the hunter the way metallica did with the black album. their last three albums all have yea songs that would have been big hits on rock radio if rock radio still existed really
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: bands who should be huge

clutch is another strong possibility :bulb: though they are such a straight-ahead rock and roll band that i wonder if they would always have had the same level of popularity. the motorhead of their time :cigar:

and pepper-era COC. stare too long would have been a massive folk crossover hit in about 1977 :hard-on bearer:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

anal cunt
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

dusto will you post one or two songs by those bands because ive never really heard them. apart from maybe one qotsa song 13 years ago
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

based on the first sentence i am convinced you are being sarcastic but based on the second i am not sure :huh:
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

i was being serious

definitely never heard anything by clutch. although ive heard people talk about them here. i dont even know what genre of music they are

i think there was a popular song by qotsa about 13years ago that i rememeber hearing at the time. but dont think ive heard anything else by them
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Orange goblin probably would have done well in the 70s
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i'll second that :beer:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Verbal wrote:i was being serious

definitely never heard anything by clutch. although ive heard people talk about them here. i dont even know what genre of music they are

i think there was a popular song by qotsa about 13years ago that i rememeber hearing at the time. but dont think ive heard anything else by them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_hTyeuwAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Too7nGq_GNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exa0CzlCb3Y

:santa:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

I always thought Iced Earth and Blind Guardian ought to be huge in the states but they are lucky if they draw 1500 per show.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Gun - fucking amazing hard rock from 1968 that blows away a lot of 70[s stuff, way ahead of their time. May be a clapton/cream ripoff to some people but I like them.

Black Merda - never made it huge, but amazing all-black psych/funky rock band with themes about black oppression in the height of the 60's

Sweet Smoke - fantastic psych stuff like Hawkwind but even more eclectic.

Riot - Should've been America's Iron Maiden or Motorhead. Mid to late 70's hard rock proto-NWOBHM/speed metal with riffs, hooks, attitude and melodies that are up there with early EVH. Listen to the album Narita and be blown away that the album came out way before all the 80's metal trends.

That new 'nam-themed stoner doom band Devil's Witches would've been pretty rad to hear as a proto-metal band in the late 60's or 70's.