Are there any new 'old-school'/florida-style death metal bands worth checking out?

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
shadowalk
Metal God

Are there any new 'old-school'/florida-style death metal bands worth checking out?

Post by shadowalk »

Just looking to expand ein office playlist. I'm not looking for 100% true MA/death/deicide clones but you know...stuff that still emphasizes tremolo picking, palm mutes, blast beats, thrashy riffs AKA the usual cool stuff.

Bands like blood red throne, insision, and aeon are cool...stuff like that and definitely none of that black dahlia murder crap that's so popular these days.

Also if you guys know some new black/thrash bands like aura noir, desaster, and slaughter messiah that harkens back to the days of old sodom/sarcofago/kreator/destruction, that would be really appreciated as well. Thanks!
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Are there any new 'old-school'/florida-style death metal bands worth checking out?

Post by zim »

you ever checked out Dim Mak
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: Are there any new 'old-school'/florida-style death metal bands worth checking out?

Post by jawn galliano »

shining that lavabug signal
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Verbal
The Melancholy Wizards

Post by Verbal »

there were quite a few of these back in the 90.s
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

80s too i'd wager
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I don't know of any modern bands that fit the description of "florida DM revival", maybe Necrovorous. There are many modern bands that have the aesthetic of the good underground bands of yore, particularly the grimy finnish death metal sound, ie: Disma, Funebrarum, Spectral Voice.

There's also a ton of Entombed-clone bands now that imho are getting kind of redundant. Black Breath is cool and all, but I can only listen to so much before I feel like I'm listening to clandestine.

I will sound like a broken record, but Blood Incantation and Spectral voice are two of the most important active bands right now. They have a sound that is "old"/not fashionable (which is a good thing) but isn't pure nostalgia.

Howls of Ebb has a similar level of experimentation in their riffs as Ripping Corpse had back in the day.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I agree with the Entombed thing. There's too many bands tuning to B now.

That Blood Incantation band sounds promising.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

black breath have been doing that for 11 years now they aint new.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

shadowalk wrote:I agree with the Entombed thing. There's too many bands tuning to B now.
Tuning to B does not make a band unoriginal. Rehashing the same riffs through a Boss HM-2 does.