Hey Ryan

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Hey Ryan

Post by droidspawn »

Do you prefer diamond eyes or koi no Yokan?

These two albums are quite different but seem linked to me in some strange way. I think I like the imagery, production, songwriting, and atmosphere more on KNY. The great tracks on KNY are better than the great tracks on DE. But overall, I prefer DE. Doesn't make sense I know. To me Chinos lyrics and vocals on DE blow his vocals and lyrics on KNY out of the water. All the "ohhhhs" and "ahhhhhs" on swerve city, gauze, entombed? Graphic nature suck imo. Chino on DE is closer to older chino. Example: the ending riff and scream on royal is better than any moment on KNY. Vintage deftones. That shit gives me goosebumps still. Sergio also was less prominent on DE which I like. I think DE has more in common with atf and white pony than s/t, snw, and KNY ever will.

Thoughts on these two? Thread was inspired by the gore talk the other day
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Re: Hey Ryan

Post by droidspawn »

also relistened to gore after this and it's not bad like I said. But the production is by far the worst on a deftones record. Xenon and pittura infamante aren't very good at all so that doesn't help.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

I prefer diamond eyes, like you said I hear more classic deftones in it. I'm sure I said kny in the past, when it was fresher to the ears. One thing I think that makes diamond eyes the album it is is the energy and spontanaity (sp?). I recall an interview where someone in the band said they wrote and recorded it in 3 months or so. I think more bands should do that instead of changing songs 100 times before its released, it loses some magic I suppose, in some cases anyway
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Yep 100% agree. Like with KNY and gore chino said they purposely changed the song structures from what they would normally do. It's like why mess with a great thing. I hope they are in the actual studio now from those pics we seen recording the album and not just doing demos, because like you said then they'll change a bunch and most likely not for the better. Let steph loose. I wish he'd go back to 6 strings. The repetitive 3 cord chugging on gore the song, diamond eyes the song and the ending of rosemary is not the steph I want.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

never been a fan of the 7 string guitars, with any band

but i did listen to KNY in the ride today because of this thread, its been quite a while but i pulled the :xx:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

also jammed some snw as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGKA_NjPoE

:idea:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

snw is so fucking underrated it hurts. Only songs I don't at least like on it are mein, the instrumental, and pc. The others range from ok (rapture, ratsratsrats) to pretty damn good (hole in the earth, cherry waves, riviere) to amazing (beware, xerces, combat, kimdracula)
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

I'm trying but I can't decide. I'm not even Ryan :homework: Maybe Diamond Eyes, it has Sextape :xx:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

sextape is a wannabe digital bath i think. its ok
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewvCK2iCdVQ
Ninny
Metal God