one album wonders

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 31 Jul 2018, 23:10

post some bands that only ever put out one album that's now considered a classic or even just a fantastic album overall. :santa:

maybe they broke up soon after or they changed their name or maybe a one off side project or what have you. :idea:

eps and shit don't count - I'm only talking full lengths here. :fuckoff:

Let's start with these Czech Death Metal legends:

phpBB [video]
:god:

supposedly a new album was in the works years ago but the entire band seems to have sarded.
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 31 Jul 2018, 23:25

phpBB [video]


from Norway and released in 1995 - the band features members of Dødheimsgard, Virus, and Arcturus who pioneered this experimental album. :tvrky:
I think it's safe to say that bands like Deathspell Omega and other avant-garde black metal would not exist without this album as an influence. :krinor:
Image
User avatar
morbid board eli
Postwhore
Posts: 69803
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: one album wonders

Postby morbid board eli » 31 Jul 2018, 23:27

andrew wk
Holocaust wrote:super dickton
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 31 Jul 2018, 23:39

morbid board eli wrote:andrew wk


Image
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 31 Jul 2018, 23:44

here's another: Control Denied - The Fragile Art Of Existence

phpBB [video]


side project of Chuck Schuldiner featuring other members of Death and Tim Aymar on clean power metal-esqe vocals.

mad foreskin fungus like underrated album featuring some incredible musicianship - a follow up was planned but never finished due to Chuck's death in 2001.
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 01 Aug 2018, 00:11

Dan Swanö - Moontower 1998

phpBB [video]


I know, it's Dan Swanö who has 20 projects going on at any given time...
This was the only album released under his name and it's mad foreskin fungus like good melodic/progressive death metal.
In the same vein as Edge Of Sanity, though Swanö descried it has 70's prog rock with death metal vocals. :gay:
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 01 Aug 2018, 00:51

Demilich - Nespithe 1993

phpBB [video]


not gonna lie, the first time I heard this album I fucking hated it. just couldn't get past the vocals. :frown:
over time I gave it some more chances and especially after seeing them live recently - yeah this album deserves to be considered a death metal classic. :idea:
not just the vocals, but everything about it unique. the atonal guitar, the heavy ass but clean bass tone and crazy tempo changes combined with blast beats of the drumming. fucking phenomenal! :xx:
will they ever release a new album? despite the amount of touring they've done lately - it seems unlikely. :tear:
Image
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 50848
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: one album wonders

Postby Nick » 01 Aug 2018, 01:45

Slo burn
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Hitoshura
Metal God
Posts: 18774
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 04:24

Re: one album wonders

Postby Hitoshura » 01 Aug 2018, 04:56

doubt demilich will record again and they don't need to. nespithe is a masterpiece, one of the best metal albums ever made. the likelihood of a followup being comparably-good seems mad foreskin fungus like low

my contribution for this thread is:

disembowelment

:santa:
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 16995
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: one album wonders

Postby Skinfection » 01 Aug 2018, 05:00

Mad Season
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 50848
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: one album wonders

Postby Nick » 01 Aug 2018, 06:28

Mother love bone
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 01 Aug 2018, 08:56

Skinfection wrote:Mad Season


They actually were gonna put out a second album with Lannigan as vocalist but never took flight. Such a bummer because Mark has a gifted voice and need more recognition besides QOTSA and Screaming Trees.
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 01 Aug 2018, 08:56

Necrophagist sard.
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 01 Aug 2018, 08:57

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:here's another: Control Denied - The Fragile Art Of Existence

phpBB [video]


side project of Chuck Schuldiner featuring other members of Death and Tim Aymar on clean power metal-esqe vocals.

mad foreskin fungus like underrated album featuring some incredible musicianship - a follow up was planned but never finished due to Chuck's death in 2001.


The birth of Melodic DM.
User avatar
shadowalk
Metal God
Posts: 10919
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 09:16
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: one album wonders

Postby shadowalk » 01 Aug 2018, 12:12

Decrepit Birth (only because i only listen to ...and time begins :redneck: )
Ripping Corpse
Desultory
User avatar
morbid board eli
Postwhore
Posts: 69803
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: one album wonders

Postby morbid board eli » 01 Aug 2018, 16:25

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
morbid board eli wrote:andrew wk


Image


i skipped your introductory post and now see that he doesn't fit the criteria

in this case i change my answer to them crooked vultures
Holocaust wrote:super dickton
User avatar
zim
Postwhore
Posts: 20733
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: one album wonders

Postby zim » 01 Aug 2018, 17:48

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:post some bands that only ever put out one album that's now considered a classic or even just a fantastic album overall. :santa:

maybe they broke up soon after or they changed their name or maybe a one off side project or what have you. :idea:

eps and shit don't count - I'm only talking full lengths here. :fuckoff:

Let's start with these Czech Death Metal legends:

phpBB [video]
:god:

supposedly a new album was in the works years ago but the entire band seems to have sarded.


love this album. it being their only album makes it a little more special imo :xx:
User avatar
zim
Postwhore
Posts: 20733
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: one album wonders

Postby zim » 01 Aug 2018, 17:49

Dr. Gonzo wrote:Necrophagist sard.


i think both of their albums are really good
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 01 Aug 2018, 19:38

zim wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote:Necrophagist sard.


i think both of their albums are really good


I forgot they had two.
User avatar
Jeep Swenson_hero
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 06:01
Contact:

Re: one album wonders

Postby Jeep Swenson_hero » 01 Aug 2018, 23:08

zim wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Let's start with these Czech Death Metal legends:

phpBB [video]
:god:

supposedly a new album was in the works years ago but the entire band seems to have sarded.


love this album. it being their only album makes it a little more special imo :xx:


phpBB [video]


;) .
Image
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 02 Aug 2018, 07:21

Witherscape
User avatar
Nick
Postwhore
Posts: 50848
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 22:32
Location: the bottle dump

Re: one album wonders

Postby Nick » 02 Aug 2018, 08:17

There's way more bands I wish just made 1 album
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.


Ninny wrote:But I've never seen a fat sexy leopard elevator naked, what do I do when I'm not aroused?
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 02 Aug 2018, 08:34

Who'd you have in mind?
User avatar
zim
Postwhore
Posts: 20733
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: one album wonders

Postby zim » 02 Aug 2018, 08:52

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:here's another: Control Denied - The Fragile Art Of Existence

phpBB [video]


side project of Chuck Schuldiner featuring other members of Death and Tim Aymar on clean power metal-esqe vocals.

mad foreskin fungus like underrated album featuring some incredible musicianship - a follow up was planned but never finished due to Chuck's death in 2001.


The birth of Melodic DM.


i always thought it was carcass with heartwork in 1993 that kicked off melodic death metal
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 02 Aug 2018, 09:57

guys, thanks for sharing - but it would be neat if you could at the mad foreskin fungus like least provide a youtube link. (just about every album is on there these days) :santa:
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 02 Aug 2018, 10:11

phpBB [video]


some of you might remember when this one came out in 2004 - I remember it being discussed here and elsewhere online as it seemed like even then in the pre-youtube and social media days when forums were at their peak, people just had to share it. It's essentially a comedy album poking fun at metal - though it comes across a bit more avant garde than that.
Jason Suecof (whom would later go on to form Charred Walls of the Damned) is the main force behind this brilliant album that claims to have a dog as a drummer and features a slew of guest vocalists such as John Tardy, James Murphy, and Richard Christy. :interessant:
Image
User avatar
zim
Postwhore
Posts: 20733
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: one album wonders

Postby zim » 02 Aug 2018, 12:58

this is another one of those deathcore / breakdown / djent bands but this album (their second) is pretty good. i actually thought they were going to move away from the deathcore style and develop more a traditional death metal sound. unfortunately they did a 180 and went straight back to the unimaginative crap and i lost all interest.

@lummo, you might like the track Deamon (The Procreated), it's kind of black metalish but i also don't know what i'm talking about
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Paste Human
Metal God
Posts: 5521
Joined: 30 Jan 2012, 07:29
Location: The American Sector

Re: one album wonders

Postby Paste Human » 02 Aug 2018, 13:50

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Demilich - Nespithe 1993

phpBB [video]


not gonna lie, the first time I heard this album I fucking hated it. just couldn't get past the vocals. :frown:
over time I gave it some more chances and especially after seeing them live recently - yeah this album deserves to be considered a death metal classic. :idea:
not just the vocals, but everything about it unique. the atonal guitar, the heavy ass but clean bass tone and crazy tempo changes combined with blast beats of the drumming. fucking phenomenal! :xx:
will they ever release a new album? despite the amount of touring they've done lately - it seems unlikely. :tear:


This is the first album that popped into my head :santa:

The second would be Demigod's debut, but then I remembered they did release a couple others. However it appears that Esa (who wrote the debut) had nothing to do with the other two releases, so it's probably one of those situations where the band should have just changed their name. A couple years ago he claimed he was going to write another one, but as far as I an tell nothing ever came of it.

phpBB [video]


Miasma is another one with a slight exception. They released the debut and then came out with an ep shortly after. The two were put on the same disc on subsequent releases so in my mind it's basically the same release. They were also planning to reunite a few years back but I guess that fell through too.
[video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98TiyCIlu-Q&t=2319s [/video]
User avatar
User
Metal God
Posts: 8843
Joined: 14 Aug 2014, 13:18
Location: Unknown

Re: one album wonders

Postby User » 02 Aug 2018, 15:18

some great albums in this thread

and i am going to methodically listen to the few ones i have not heard
more metal
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 02 Aug 2018, 19:35

Good reads too.
User avatar
Lavabug
Metal God
Posts: 7526
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 16:15
Location: An ocean of filth.

Re: one album wonders

Postby Lavabug » 02 Aug 2018, 19:37

timeghoul (a single EP)

disincarnate

xenomorph

I (the immortal spinoff)

more finnish one-hit wonders like demilich:

convulse

abhorrence (a single EP) - cuz i do not acknowledge their comeback album
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 02 Aug 2018, 19:40

the other Convulse records are pretty good.
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 02 Aug 2018, 20:56

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe - 2000

phpBB [video]


This prog metal band from Norway could probably be compared to Atheist though having a bit more power metal like vocals.
featuring perhaps what one would could refer to as the best session musicians in Norway with many having live stints with other bands such as Satyricon, Borknager, etc and the vocalist even briefly filled in for Garm in Arcturus before ICS Vortex would take over full time. if you're a fan of progressive metal and you haven't heard this album - well, you're missing out. the bass playing alone is enough to get anyone moist IN THE PANTS :greenie:
Image
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Metal God
Posts: 16950
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 08:49

Re: one album wonders

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » 02 Aug 2018, 21:07

Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows 2007

phpBB [video]


now for something a little darker - Walknut - an atmospheric black metal band from Russia consisting of only 2 pagan metal heads who set out to record something that could only come from the grim wilderness of Russia . this mid paced album that only consists of 6 songs would help set the tone and influence for others in the genre for years to come with this release. :grimsanta:
Image
User avatar
morbid board eli
Postwhore
Posts: 69803
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 07:36

Re: one album wonders

Postby morbid board eli » 02 Aug 2018, 23:28

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe - 2000

phpBB [video]


This prog metal band from Norway could probably be compared to Atheist though having a bit more power metal like vocals.
featuring perhaps what one would could refer to as the best session musicians in Norway with many having live stints with other bands such as Satyricon, Borknager, etc and the vocalist even briefly filled in for Garm in Arcturus before ICS Vortex would take over full time. if you're a fan of progressive metal and you haven't heard this album - well, you're missing out. the bass playing alone is enough to get anyone moist IN THE PANTS :greenie:


they only put out one album :shock: i never realized this, they had such a solid reputation that i just assumed there were more releases
Holocaust wrote:super dickton
User avatar
zim
Postwhore
Posts: 20733
Joined: 14 Apr 2009, 02:36
Location: US

Re: one album wonders

Postby zim » 03 Aug 2018, 00:21

Source by Codeon, it was the only full album they put out and it's pretty good. they were a cool band from finland. the lead guitarist, sami raatikainen, was/is in necrophagist

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... rce/198017
phpBB [video]
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Ancient One
Posts: 4444
Joined: 15 Apr 2009, 09:44
Location: between shit and piss

Re: one album wonders

Postby Dr. Gonzo » 04 Aug 2018, 07:06

I need to check that out.
User avatar
Holocaust
Metal God
Posts: 10675
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 07:03
Location: Your mom

Re: one album wonders

Postby Holocaust » 04 Aug 2018, 18:33

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows 2007

phpBB [video]



:thingy:
User avatar
Skinfection
Metal God
Posts: 16995
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 11:02
Location: California
Contact:

Re: one album wonders

Postby Skinfection » 05 Aug 2018, 09:01

I'd completely forgotten about Walknut and Lykathea Aflame. Sadly the latter isn't on Spotify :shakefist:

Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest