new behemoth

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

new behemoth

Post by droidspawn »

Polish extreme metallers BEHEMOTH will release their new album, "I Loved You At Your Darkest", on October 5 via Nuclear Blast. While it certainly seems an unlikely title for a black metal band, its origin might surprise fans even more than the words themselves. "It's a verse from the Bible," frontman Nergal reveals. "It's actually a quote from Jesus Christ himself. For BEHEMOTH to use it as the basis of our record, it's sacrilege to the extreme."

As a foretaste for what to expect on the new album, BEHEMOTH has released a video for the first single, "God = Dog", that can be viewed below. The clip was directed by BEHEMOTH's longtime visual collaborators Grupa 13.

Of course, BEHEMOTH is no stranger to blasphemy. Over the course of the last 27 years, they've pushed the boundaries of black metal and heresy alike. While anti-Christian sentiment might seem like stale bread where most metal bands are concerned, for BEHEMOTH such ideas represent a very real threat to their physical freedom. Time and again, the government of their native Poland has charged them with various "crimes" such as tearing up a bible onstage in 2007 and using the Polish coat of arms on a BEHEMOTH t-shirt in 2017. "Obviously, stuff like that can piss you off. But I think it's good to be pissed off," Nergal says with a laugh. "Anger can be a massive driving force, especially when you make extreme music. But politically and socially, Poland is a very disparate country. You can never feel totally safe here. That makes it easier for me to get inspiration. If I lived in Holland or Australia, I don't think I'd be doing what I do now. You can do or be anything you want there. I'm a huge fan of that kind of freedom, but I don't really have it here. Struggling with that on a daily basis makes me who I am, and fuels my passion for this music."

Nergal and his bandmates — Orion (bass) and Inferno (drums) — have channeled that passion into "I Loved You At Your Darkest". A crushing salvo of black metal majesty replete with hellish riffs, thundering drum cannonades and soaring liturgical choirs reminiscent of classic horror cinema, the album is also bejeweled with nimble-fingered rock guitar solos on songs like "God = Dog", "Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica" and "Sabbath Mater".

"I really wanted to redefine ourselves with this record," Nergal explains. "'I Loved You At Your Darkest' is a more dynamic record. It's extreme and radical on one hand, but it's also more rock-oriented than any other BEHEMOTH record."

Nergal doesn't view the heightened rock influence as a conscious creative decision so much as a renewed interest in the historical origins of the music he makes. "We don't give consideration to musical direction, we simply create what naturally comes to us," he says. "But 15 years ago, if you had asked me who I thought was the best band on the planet, I probably would have said MAYHEM or MORBID ANGEL. Today if you asked me, I'd say AC/DC. That should give you a clear indication of why this album is more rock-based. It all comes down to the songwriting."

Lyrically, "I Loved You At Your Darkest" revels in the kind of religious provocation that BEHEMOTH do best. "It's very religion-driven, maybe more than anything we've done before," Nergal offers. "But it's not just cheap goading. I believe this is some deeper metal language. It's art."

Unlike "The Satanist", which was primarily recorded in one studio, "I Loved You At Your Darkest" saw its production spread across Poland and the United States. It was produced by the bandmembers themselves, with drum co-production by Daniel Bergstrand (MESHUGGAH, IN FLAMES), mixing by Matt Hyde (SLAYER, CHILDREN OF BODOM) and mastering by Tom Baker (NINE INCH NAILS, MARILYN MANSON). Which is to say nothing of the 17-piece Polish orchestra arranged by Jan Stoklosa and engineered by Tomasz Budkiewicz. Or as Nergal sums it up: "Pretty much every instrument was recorded in a different studio, and a lot of amazing people were involved."

"I Loved You At Your Darkest" track listing:

01. Solve
02. Wolves Ov Siberia
03. God = Dog
04. Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica
05. Bartzabel
06. If Crucifixion Was Not Enough...
07. Angelvs XIII
08. Sabbath Mater
09. Havohej Pantocrator
10. Rom 5:8
11. We Are The Next 1000 Years
12. Coagvla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2y_mi7jDI

album title is lolz but the artwork, track, and video are fucking killer

KHAILING IT THE SATAN IN THIS PERIOD \m//////////////////////////////
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Re: new behemoth

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I gave them the title God = Dog
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

god=dog is some deicide-tier song titling :gaylol:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

And on the seventh day, God said, "Fo shizzle my nizzle," because God was Dogg, and it was good." -Behemoth 3:16
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

D O double G my okahoma slamma!
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

You fartknockers even listen to the song? You know, the main thing you should be discussing
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

actually haven't had a chance to listen until now. it's fucking killer :grimxx:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I, personally, am waiting to hear the album as a whole. Satanist was a Brill record but I feel they peaked with Apostasy. Every album after was just a chase to reach that kind of acclaim. There was a lot of praise for the Satanist but the whole trumpet scheme kinda took away from the concrete sound they had built on. To most that was a game changer but for the I, it was unnecessary. So for me, my style of behemoth, was years ago. I still like the band but like I said, they peaked years ago. :santa:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

It’s funny you say that. I got into what I guess would now be considered their middle period - Satanica, thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus, and Demigod. Their later albums, while good - never quite clicked for me the same way. Either way, I will always go see these dudes live if they are nearby.
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

They are a main staple in today's scene. Tons of metal enthusiasts follow them. I do like their early work. They helped create a whole new generation of metal and for that they are welcome into the pantheon.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

my snap impression is that this reminded me of satyricon's volcano in that it's familiar but there is a distinct turn towards rock and not in a way that thrills me

i also haven't listened to that album in like 15 years so i don't know why that popped up as the frame of reference
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

i started with zos i think, or thelema. i agree with gonzo that apostasy was their best work. evangelion was a close second, until the satanist came out. thats when i started fan-boying over them in 2014-2015. they are getting better as they go along, i feel.

the satanist
the apostasy
evangelion
demigod
zos
thelema
satanica
meh at the rest
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Volcano was a pivotal point in satyricon's career. It shifted the bands sound towards a more mainstream direction. Which , compared to the new behemoth sound, makes behemoths career a perpetual "grab and go" direction that behemoth hsve been gravitating towards when held up to that light of satryicons endeavour's. Relatively speaking, says a lot about he current scene that behemoth portrays.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

not bad
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

That song was goddamn awesome :idea:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

I really dont get this band I think, I used too but not now .
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=311&v=Dhfy9TPga-c
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

I listened before this, too slow for my standard, but is good
i appreciated god=dog and wolves of siberia

can't wait to listen the full album :grim: