Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
zim
Zim(a)

Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War

Post by zim »

I'm 10 minutes into the new album and the music is pretty good but the spoken word vocals are fucking stupid :oldryan:
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War

Post by zim »

Also I just learned this is a remaster and must admit I don't know anything about Mayhem. I just really dislike the spoken vocals
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah this album is 18 years old :redneck:

it is a very weird mayhem album, maniac was already starting to do some of the spoken word on WLA (which grand declaration is a direct follow-up to) but expands on that a lot here. it is very characteristic of really big black metal bands recording in that period, many of which were distancing themselves from their classic breakthrough albums. it reminds me of a lot of the first sequels to hit NES games in that regard actually, lots of bold experiments instead of minor variations & expansions

i don't know if it actually holds up or not but i'll probably always enjoy it just due to nostalgia
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I enjoyed the album overall but there were some very strange parts that didn't fit well imo. I haven't listened to the original but this version sounded really good, all the instruments were audible and the mix was clear. some of the riffs sounded pretty modern which was interesting

I'll have to do some more mayhem listening, this was the first album of their I've listened to all the way through
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I always seem to skip this album and go for Chimera. It's a more rounded sound and has some really good non black metal sounds from a black metal band. Still slays despite what the generic, closed minded metal head states.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i also like chrimera
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i am definitely a grand declaration over chimera kind of hard-on bearer
vO)))id