new album per day

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: new album per day

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

Hitoshura wrote:i have what seems like a lifetime's worth of backlog just from MABB recs alone

i hope to cover a tiny fraction of them this year :oldryan:
2 albums per day :judge:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

our lord and master agrees
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Page 2 :gay:
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

:greenie:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

WHAT THE FUCK STORMY
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

hes too busy bagging the newest swag, dawg
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

That's right, fashion stormy has his big NYC debut coming up
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i bought a handful of rick pieces in january but i've been on a jawn hiatus since. i am gonna hit dover street market, atelier and the rick boutique when i'm in NYC though so i might splash a little bit of cash there

anyway update time for you impatient bitches

58. mark hollis - mark hollis, 1998. now dead hard-on bearer from talk talk, this was his last thing. don't really have good concrete thoughts on this or TT yet but i plan to listen to it all more.

59. talk talk - the colour of spring, 1986.

60. talk talk - spirit of eden, 1987

61. sohn - tremors, 2014. dude who put me up to this was bugging me to listen to it for a month or so and i finally relented. it's like some weird electronic r&b mix, the vocals remind me of generic pop from the last 5 years i've heard while drunk at friends houses, which is not really an endearing quality to me. and he goes a step further by using vocal samples (rather prominently) in the instrumentation. not for me

62. vitalic - ok cowboy, 2005. french electronic duds mashing up a bunch of different sounds. pretty good

63. bjork - vespertine, 2001

64. bjork - homogenic, 1997

65. bjork - post, 1995. someone i've always been vaguely aware of but never went out of my way to listen to. off the bat, even before getting to the music itself, these albums are all so brilliantly recorded & arranged & constructed it's incredible just for the sheer sonics of it. actually that's all i've really got so far but i am reasonably certain she is gonna make it into heavy rotation this year this shit is such a jam.

66. test dept - pax britannica, 1991. early industrial outfit from the UK, this is a weird but interesting one. a set of 20th century classical pieces in the vein of stravinsky (the good stravinsky, not the boring later period neoclassical stravinsky) with choir and some industrial-martial style percussion & trappings. set against the backdrop of the decline of the empire & rise of thatcher/reaganism. a much more interesting deployment of the sampling machine than i usually expect out of tunes from this era! i expect they haven't done anything else that sounds like this & i intend to investigate further.

67. einsturzende neubauten - tabula rasa. this was an hour long and i can't tell you anything about it other than it's extremely gloryhole era german industrial. i was hyperfocused at work with this one and missed it. ill try again next week and maybe edit something else in

:santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Impressive :idea:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

welcome aboard the bjork train. i first heard of her in the mid gloryhole era when watching a program about a stalker that sent her a bomb and made several home made videos freaking out culminating with him shooting himself in the head on video right after he sent her a bomb. i later rediscovered her from my step brother in the early 2000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FG8pNw_W_o&bpctr=1552117067

this is a brief summary. dude was majority fucked. still gives me the creeps watching it over 20 years later. his face paint, the music, his mannerisms, the liveleak logo. oh and you can hear the blood gushing from his head. just lovely.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Wtf
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

yeah dude. the sign behind him "the best of me" was meant to be splattered with his brains but he didnt use a powerful enough caliber gun. shits fucked
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aw jeez i'm really falling behind here. i will update the list. reviews omitted are not forthcoming its too much work

68. talk talk - it's my life, 1984. this album absolutely whips ass, everyone praises hollis and talk talk for inventing post-rock which is absolutely fair and correct but their intermediate albums were fuckin' jams and a half.

69. suede - the blue hour, 2018. in my mind this is what rock bands were supposed to be doing in the late aughts, but instead they're doing it in the twilight of the teens. really melodramatic and just begging to be described as operatic and i guess that's fair

70. suede - night thoughts, 2016. the blue hour but with restraint. stop restraining yourselves. thank u future suede i guess

71. baroness - the purple album, 2015. if there's one thing about the blue album that absolutely devours assholes it's the vocals on the titular line of "jake leg" and these fucking dullards decided to build their entire aesthetic around that. in retrospect this was a band that from the very start just wanted to borrow and beg off of their more metal-inclined leanings to leverage a larger career. yellow and green was a crossroads and it could've gone some other way, but the purple album confirms that baroness' future is just JAAAAAAAAAAAKE LEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGG but bitch-ass rock and roll style. man fuck baroness these guys suck

72. test dept - disturbance, 2019. ageing industrial pioneers release a familiar album with updated themes. meh!

73. bjork - vulnicura, 2015. i think this one was incredible? maybe a real bummer, a sad album but also a great one to hear

74. talk talk - s/t, 1982. humble synthpop beginnings! some tracks here are jams but it's a curiosity compared to everything else that came after

75. bjork - utopia, 2017.

76. siouxsie and the banshees - peepshow, 1988. expanded budget, wildly expanded instrumentation, but not a very good album. some standout tracks, rhapsody in particular is probably the best closer of any of their albums.

77. siouxsie and the banshees - the rapture, 1995. i listened to this half asleep on a bus out of NYC and i haven't felt compelled to return to it. listen to the earlier albums

78. big black - songs about fucking, 1987. one of the more jarring things about returning to industrial after being so steeped in metal is that while guitar was a central instrument in a lot of big industrial projects, it was always produced in a way that really downplayed it. razor-thin, low-to-mid-band absolutely launched into orbit, MT-2-would-be-a-huge-improvement-ass-guitar-tone. big black were central in the the official city of the chicago cubs scene which was itself probably the main nexus of US industrial. it's neat and i can dig it but also it's not skinny puppy so

79. depeche mode - music for the masses, 1987. honestly might have heard this as a lad as there was definitely a time when my mom was into depeche mode but this didn't sound terribly familiar. part of my desire to explore the synthpop adjacent stuff from the 80s; seems decent but needs more exposure.

80. flume - hi this is flume, 2019

81. cocteau twins - garlands, 1982. very similar to DCD's self-titled in that it was very rock-oriented but hinted heavily towards their next album which would more clearly stake out their characteristic sound which was like really nothing else on the planet at the time

82. new order - power, corruption & lies, 1983. joy division but alive. so not at all joy division but still kinda, i guess

83. cocteau twins - head over heels, 1983. also similar to DCD's spleen and ideal in that they really discovered their sound on this album, and it foreshadowed their next where they'd really master it and establish themselves as being on top of the mountain of ethereal blissful goth-pop with occasional fake language

84. duran duran - rio, 1982. it's my birth year and this was an important synthpop album maybe, who gives a shit. it had some hits. i'm not gonna listen to it again fuck off

that's it for now

i've got four more albums to listen to to be caught up for the year :eyes:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Wow dude.

For me it’s Mono- Nowhere Now Here
Fucking amazing.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

Hitoshura wrote:if there's one thing about the blue album that absolutely devours assholes it's the vocals on the titular line of "jake leg" and these fucking dullards decided to build their entire aesthetic around that
this is such a peculiar hill to die on :lol:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

is it an irrationally strong opinion about a single phrase that probably nobody else has even formed an opinon on? yes, definitely

will i allow that to stop me from basing my view of the band's entire career on it? absolutely fucking not
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

stormy’s death hill :judge:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:lol:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Skinfection wrote:
Hitoshura wrote:82. duran duran - rio, 1982. it's my birth year and this was an important synthpop album maybe, who gives a shit. it had some hits. i'm not gonna listen to it again fuck off
This is easily your best review of anything
i do try to put in at least a little effort on each one, but on the occasion of this review i was both very drunk and very at the end of the list and some concessions had to be made
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Skinfection wrote:
Hitoshura wrote:82. duran duran - rio, 1982. it's my birth year and this was an important synthpop album maybe, who gives a shit. it had some hits. i'm not gonna listen to it again fuck off
This is easily your best review of anything

sounds like stormy doing an impression of inram. 3/10
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:gaylol: sorry dude weezer's been fuckin trash for 20 years

85. jaga jazzist - what we must, 2005

86. jaga jazzist - magazine, 2000. i think this one had some kinda hip-hop/dj shadow-esque moments? pretty neat and very much a 2000 flourish, dates the album but not in a way that i found bad or cringe-inducing i guess. jaga jazzist rules and both of these albums do as well although they're not one-armed bandit or starfire which i definitely prefer to the earlier albums

87. modest mouse - the moon & antarctica, 2000. i've been dreading exploring the rest of their discography because i absolutely love lonesome crowded west, it's one of my favorite discoveries of the last decade. moon & antartica is very decidedly still the modest mouse that wrote LCW, with a much bigger recording budget & tighter songwriting. i'd definitely rate it behind LCW but not far; i've already listened to this a couple more times since the first attempt, cold part in particular is an incredible tune. it is the cowboy dan of moon & antarctica. it's really quickly growing on me and i'm this will definitely make it into the permanent collection.

88. modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news, 2004. and this one is why i've been dreading exploring their post-millennium catalog because i knew there was a dramatic shift somewhere and this was the inflection point. it's not bad i guess, but it isn't really recognizable to me; isaac brock sounds like he's been lobotomized compared to the earlier albums. i dunno, i need to listen to it some more to see if it grows on me but it definitely doesn't grab with the immediacy the preceding albums do.

89. fennesz - agora, 2019. neato ambient stuff; for fans of tim hecker and the like. love it, highly recommend

90. fennesz - becs, 2014. as above

91. cave-in - antenna, 2002. very much in the same bucket as modest mouse in that i've been dreading exploring their discography for a very long time because their debut was so strong. until your heart stops is at a strong contender for the top spot in the handful of truly great metalcore albums, and they never released anything else like it. i really don't know what to make of the stylistic shift that came after. i don't even know what to lump it in with, genre-wise. i don't hate this album but i can't think of a single standout moment or track that i'm compelled to revisit either.

that's two albums into april now! still behind by a couple days but i hope to be running a surplus by this time next week :gay:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Hitoshura wrote::gaylol: sorry dude weezer's been fuckin trash for 20 years

who said anything about weezer :gaylol: i said they've been trash half their career :huh:

buy some more hideous clothing then go to bed :santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Town Portal - Of Violence (2019)
Just came out on vinly and download via Art as Catharsis. Danish sludge/stoner band with some jazz influences. Really awesome stuff.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Stormy, jaga jazzist is cool :idea:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

jaga is wicked awesome
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

they are and i'm quite sad i've run out of jaga albums to explore :eyes:

92. stian westerhus - amputation, 2016. has been on the to-do list for like three years now, i remembered because he's doing live guitars for ulver right now (and i believe was briefly a contributor to jaga!). not sure what you'd call this aside from neat, its got noise but it's not noise, very little percussion but its not ambient, etc.. i wanna listen to more of this hard-on bearer's stuff

93. town portal - of violence, 2019. this one was pretty neat! there were some moments where i felt like i got tricked into listening to a more mellow-sounding meshuggah but then realized i've softened on meshuggah generally and didn't feel tricked anymore.

94. the sisters of mercy - vision thing, 1990. i really want to hate this album because it really isn't good in any objective sense and is their worst by a wide margin, but man some of these tunes are a fucking jam. andrew once again blew the entire budget by hiring jim steinman to produce one track, which is one of the better ones here.

95. carpenter brut - hush sally hush, 2019. i cheated this is only a single. and really structurally identical to the EP3 track, just slowed down and mixed a bit differently; it does produce a dramatically different impression compared to the original but as 'remixes' go this one is not terribly compelling.

96. oneohtrix point never - returnal, 2010. this one started out fooling me into thinking it was a noise album but that was just the opening it's pretty standard fare for OPN. if you like ambient electronic this dude is always worth a listen

97. clark - the last panthers, 2016. i don't know why but every time clark comes out with something new i don't find out about it until like 2-3 years later. anyway i guess this was supposed to be a soundtrack for something? it's quite restrained compared to his usual offerings, not bad but i'd rather listen his to self-titled or body riddle or turning dragon.

98. bibio - ribbons, 2019. i'm not sure what bibio really falls into genre-wise, i guess it's electronic but it doesn't really fall into the broader dance or ambient ends of the spectrum. plenty of vocals and nice instrumentation and some moments that sound like they could've been on 80s PBS after-school programming. reminds me of his green EP which i love and so i will probably come to love this also

99. aphex twin - cheetah, 2016. a sweet little 30-40 minute jaunt and all programmed on the hellishly frustrating cheetah MS800 synthesizer. had this in my backlog for ages and listened to the first couple tracks a bunch but never made it all the way through until now. it's aphex twin there are no surprises here it rules

100! we did it fellas we're up to 100 new-to-me releases, most of them albums, listened to in the year 2019!

100. bjork - biophilia, 2011. ehhh really not feeling this one. musically it feels very minimalist for bjork, who i feel like i always want a maximal outing from. none of the songs really seem to go anywhere and the vocals just aren't up to the task of carrying an otherwise lackluster block of songwriting.

101. the chemical brothers - no geography, 2019. not sure how i feel about these dudes in 2019, dance-oriented stuff isn't really my jam these days but they get weird and noisy enough to hold my attention. this feels like a solid disc! i think they broke out an old hardware sampler because they employ a lot of really short sampling elements that hearken back to the hardware limitations of gloryhole era gear.

102. the mission - god's own medicine, 1986. ok i always assumed andrew eldritch was just the most miserable piece of shit to work with musically and that probably is still true but after listening to this i understand why he kicked everyone out of the sisters of mercy because this music is some bullshit and he was right to get rid of them. this isn't spooky at all, fuck you wayne hussey!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

today is the 107th day of this year
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

WHAT THE FUCK STORMY
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Order of Orias - Inverse
Nihill - Verderf
Dodecahedron - Kwintessence
Mgla - Exercize in Futility
Ascension - Under Ether
Craft - White Noise and Black Metal
Convulsing - Errata

Been on a black metal stroll since the passing of Eikenaar. Some of these albums I already knew but had to revisit to really appreciate them, some newly founds.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Add Gorath - Apokálypsis to that list.

Fuck that’s some good stuff.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:today is the 107th day of this year
2019 was not a leap year, today is the 106th day. yesterday was the 105th day when i posted that and the list was current as of friday the 12th, the 102nd day. i drove myself insane trying to figure out how i fucked up the count because my master list is broken up by month and it has complete groups of 31, 28, 31, and 12 albums.

i misnumbered in the 70s and repeated 74 & 75, that list is 102 entries long. i will update it now
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

i wrote that post tomorrow
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Holy shit stormy, calm down. The future of mankind isn’t depending on your numbering. :redneck:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW42-tMm5gs&t=796s

:thingy: :thingy: :thingy:

Ulcerate eat your heart out.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

A new one for me today:

Birds In Row - You, Me & The Violence.
Amazing hardcore/black/sludge.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

iamgoat wrote:Ulcerate eat your heart out.
lofty praise indeed :shock: i shall put this band in the queue
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Hitoshura wrote:
iamgoat wrote:Ulcerate eat your heart out.
lofty praise indeed :shock: i shall put this band in the queue
They are also from Australia. I have no knowledge of the members but maybe they share one or two.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

It's one dude :huh:
Ninny wrote:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

ulcerate are from new zealand
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Really? Well it’s close to AU.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

so many new albums so many days so many updates
more metal
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

New Zealand isn't real
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:offtopic:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

ulcerate are working on a new album :jizz:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

But not in new zealand because it's not a real place
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

ulcerify
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

103. carissa's weird - ugly but honest, 2000. a compilation of their earlier material, not bad but i think i prefer their LPs to this.

104. the chemical brothers - born in the echoes, 2015. didn't take notes and don't remember so maybe not great? didn't hate it either i guess

105. the smiths, 1984. it's pretty good but it's not the queen is dead. i think there were some standout tracks here but as an album it didn't really grip me

106. macintosh plus/vektroid - floral shoppe, 2011. vaporwave ground zero, i love this. lots of samples and synth lines chopped up and stuttered and slowed. like disorienting muzak or something. it's fucking great! if it were still offered for sale i would've bought it but i had to settle for an illicit download.

107. vektroid - seed & synthetic earth, 2017. floral shoppe tradition somewhat maintained here though i think there were some rappish bits that didn't really enthuse me.

108. maudlin of the Well - my fruit psychobells... a seed combustible, 1999. toby driver & crew's 'commercial' debut, a clear precursor to the bath/map duo with a production somewhere between demo and decent-budget-studio. compositionally close cousins with them, though both toby & maria's vocal performances are notably underdeveloped here, even compared to bath/map where they weren't exactly masterful either. i can't find much fault though, they were all pretty young when this came out. i absolutely love this band, they've become one of my all-time favorites and while this is their clear worst, it's still an excellent outing. not sure who motW's soloist was but the guitar leads on all of their albums are among my favorites and these are no exception.

109. sunnO))) - life metal, 2019. i've ducked these dudes for like ten years now, just haven't been feeling this genre but this is superb. opens on a strong note with a bathory callback and doesn't let up throughout. if you can still get behind some drone action in 2019 check this shit out y'all

110. stars of the lid - the tired sounds of, 2001. a two-hour double-album ambient excursion, more in the vein of eno than the contemporary titans of the genre. i can't decide if it's crushingly sad on its own or if i listened to this on a bad day and had a bit of a case of psychology. the titles are all kind of downers though so i think it's just really sad. good shit though, strong rec for any fan of ambient jams

111. darkthrone - the underground resistance, 2013. oh boy i have a lot of thoughts about this one. i need to listen again to really get them all together. i don't hate it i don't think but it's hard to know what to make of it. might make a thread or find the old one and bump it at a later date

112. vektroid - polytravellers, 2011. pretty sure this predates floral shoppe because it's a lot more conventional. not bad but not worth listening to in light of her other stuff

113. endless column - LP, 2019. i was in a band with their drummer like 20 years ago. he kicked ass then and still does now! this is kind of out of my frame of reference but it's a bit garage/surf-rock-ish, i am gonna jam this at high volume if the sun ever comes out

114. matt lebofsky - fits, 2012. a brilliant multi-instrumentalist, recalls SC3 (who he's played with) and unexpect and a bunch of other stuff, but i don't care for his vocals. very conflicted on this one

115. stars of the lid - music for nitrous oxide, 1995. debut, recorded on a four-track. reminds me of the quiet/ambient/nonvocal-sample moments of godspeed. not bad but not something i'll return to.

116. big business - here come the waterworks 2007

117. big business - mind the drift, 2009

118. big business - battlefields forever, 2014. these guys kick ass; i am gonna listen a lot this summer. as i hinted at in the purple album thread BB strikes me as like, a band that is kind of like baroness but who does not go on to explicitly and deliberately suck after their first two albums.

119. oozing wound - high anxiety, 2019. thrash-rock/punk out of the official city of the chicago cubs i think. this was pretty sweet, gonna listen to these dudes some more

120. diamanda galas - the litanies of satan 1982. her debut EP, two tracks over 30 minutes. her music has been on my to-do list for a very long time, and i was excited to read earlier this week she'd finally got control of her catalog and was releasing it on streaming platforms. not something i'd really listen to often but she's an incredible performer and vocalist. a true virtuoso IMO, which i think might be lost on a lot of casual observers on account of her extremely unconventional style. of course, that isn't really what makes her interesting, but it stood out as an initial impression anyway. rather explicitly a piece of art and not something to be approached as entertainment.

121. big business - command your weather, 2016. as above

122. the mars volta - deloused in the comatorium, 2003. another longstanding entry on the to-do list. this is preposterous. honestly don't know how i feel about it; some very strong moments, some very incoherent ones. this doesn't really lend itself to a snap judgement, will prob listen more

123. clark - empty the bones of you, 2003. well it's not everything that came after which is all better though it's not bad. fuck off i can't get descriptive

whew
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

big business doesn’t sound like baroness in the slightest but :gay:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

You missed 2 big business albums :santa:
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i didn't miss them i just ain't got to them yet