new album per day

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Re: new album per day

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

YOU MISSED THEM :waa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Hey stormy:

What do you think of the new Darkthrone?

Diamanda Galas is awesome. Her performance on Roadburn was quite epic.... and also weird.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

haven't listened to the newest darkthrone but underground resistance is uhh, not good. i don't hate it necessarily, it just strikes me as a very dumb album. it seems like the whole point of it was just to mock people who don't care for punkthrone/rockthrone by... doing really poor send-ups of old-style black metal? black metal fans can be insufferable sure, but making a shitty album of music you don't like to play or write anymore seems like a very confused attempt at an own.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

iamgoat wrote:Hey stormy:

What do you think of the new Darkthrone?

Diamanda Galas is awesome. Her performance on Roadburn was quite epic.... and also weird.
also forgot about the second part of this reply! that's awesome you got to see her. i wonder how her voice is holding up nearly 40 years on; at least on the debut her technique & range is absolutely astounding, and delivered with a rare intensity. seems like something that would be hard to maintain over the long run, but i guess with good vocal coaching, lifestyle habits & etc. it's not entirely out of the question though i'd expect some degradation is inevitable.

it's a tough listen but i'm very intrigued & will be digging more into her discography over the next couple of weeks.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

She demanded the doors to the main stage be closed at all times during her performance so that no light or outside noise could get in. That was quite :redneck:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

124. big business - the beast you are, 2019

125. cocteau twins - the moon & melodies, 1986. sparse vocals here, seems like some kind of soundtrack? i dunno. its 80s CT though so it's good as hell even if it's light on what typically makes them so compelling.

126. drab majesty - completely careless, 2012-2015. a compilation of everything they did before the first proper LP, straight up 80s worship, enjoyable but not quite there compared to the demonstration.

127. joanna newsom - the milk-eyed mender, 2004. reminds me of divers in that it's very much a joanna newsom album but with more traditional song structures & lengths, it's good but i'd much rather listen to ys which i think is probably the one essential album of hers.

128. tim hecker - anoyo, 2019. companion to 2018's konoyo and recorded in the same session. acoustic-ambient, this is all done with an ensemble of live musicians, my understanding is that he used a traditional japanese court ensemble for these recordings. absolutely exquisite. hecker is a fucking master of the 'genre', whether working as a solo producer in a studio or with live musicians in any setting, nobody else really compares.

129. ulver - drone activity, 2019. 70 minutes of live improvisational drone-jam, it's ulver so i love it but it'll take a while to work out what i really think of it. a great followup or companion to the front half of atgclvlsscap.

i'm off by one as of 5/10 on this count but my calendar is up to date :huh: must've misnumbered again or left one out :hate:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

That Neurosis & Jarboe album is being released on vinyl! :bulb:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

drajesty :hard-on bearer:
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Enslaved - E

Laster - Het Wassen Oog
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Hitoshura wrote:
109. sunnO))) - life metal, 2019. i've ducked these dudes for like ten years now, just haven't been feeling this genre but this is superb. opens on a strong note with a bathory callback and doesn't let up throughout. if you can still get behind some drone action in 2019 check this shit out y'all
sunn o))) have a solid outfit of releases under their belt. I'd recommend the Merzbow split and the record they did with Boris. Some high quality stuff.
Hitoshura wrote: 11. darkthrone - the underground resistance, 2013. oh boy i have a lot of thoughts about this one. i need to listen again to really get them all together. i don't hate it i don't think but it's hard to know what to make of it. might make a thread or find the old one and bump it at a later date
Leave No Cross Unturned was sort of a revival for this band. Fenriz seems to be in a state of homage to past pioneers of the metal realm but this song I stated is a hidden gem amongst the rubble.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

you should listen to living colour's 1988 debut album vivid
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Need some more listens but definitely like the way this album is going. Slow mid and fast stuff. Ending track is amazing. As with any DsO album, it really demands your full attention.

Misþyrming - Algleymi
Never really paid much attention to this band but I really should. This record had so much energy it’s amazing. Great songs and performances and very good atmospheres and instrumental parts.

Gaahls Wyrd - Ghosts Invited
Showing Gaahl from a different perspective slightly. Some hard rock influences in there for sure. Very good album that needs some more listens. I like it a lot so far.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

130. efrim manuel menuck & kevin doria are sing sinck, sing, 2019. efrim from godspeed and someone else, i think i was super tired or hung over at work listening to this one but it's pretty good. i don't go too wild for his side projects but that's largely just because i go absolutely hog wild for everything GY!BE so the comparisons are inevitable

131. cat power - what would the community think, 1996. i think this was some acoustic singer songwriter alt-rock adjacent type stuff, not bad

132. MONO - hymn to the immortal wind, 2009. y'all hoes already know how i feel about these dudes they're great and so's this

133. explosions in the sky - the wilderness, 2016. this was not very good; i was big into these dudes in the aughts when i was getting into the whole post-rock thing and i think their earlier albums are fine but this just bored me to tears

134. suede - dog man star, 1994. i didn't know these guys had been around forever, apparently they predated the whole gloryhole era britpop invasion dealie but never really gained a foothold over here. anyway it's kind of an unfair comparison to that set of bands because they're a lot better than blur and shit

135. rammstein, 2019. already discussed this in the dedicated thread. this shit slaps!

136. rammstein - mutter, 2001. this band seems pretty consistent in their approach and if you like one album it's probably safe to assume you'll find stuff to like on any of them. this is true here as well! fuer frei is a bit cheesy in a way but it kicks so many asses it's hard to be bothered by that

137. rammstein - riese, reise, 2004.

138. dead kennedys - in god we trust, inc., 1981. more of an EP, it's short and sweet and even feels a bit thrashy in its guitaring in places. its good!

139. dead kennedys - frankenchrist, 1985. very obviously a DK-sounding album, but the song lengths really start to bloat on here and 4-5 minute tracks really drag on. much rather stick to fresh fruit for a full length DK jam session

140. deathspell omega - the furnaces of palingenesia, 2019. :xx::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

141. operators - radiant dawn, 2019. some kinda synthpoppish thing which is nice and glossy and full of despondency about the ongoing civilizational fall down in a giant display of homosexuality that will probably spell the end of existence as we know it. i dig

142. flying lotus - flamagra, 2019. wasn't too thrilled with this, he's a very talented producer and there's bits and pieces that appeal to me but this wasn't for me
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

reise reise was released in 2004 :santa:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

:suss:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Sols - The Golden Atom
Amazing instrumental post-rock from Mexico City.

Hornwood Fell - Damno Lumina Nocte
Experimental black metal, fucking amazing record.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:you should listen to living colour's 1988 debut album vivid
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Living Colour is awesome :idea:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

your boy is absolutely fuckin' wasted and you know what that means: UPDATE DAY

143. nocturnus ad - the paradox, 2019. made a thread on this, it rules

144. felt - forever breathes the lonely word, 1986. remember absolutely nothing about this. the hazards of listening at work :dizzy:

145. full of hell - trumpeting ecstasy, 2017. these dudes kick ass; nothing terribly groundbreaking, just good old funtime grindery

146. weyes blood - titanic rising, 2019. back on that lady singer songwriter wave, this sounds like someone doing a pretty good job of channeling the 70s sound into current-day scenarios

147. weyes blood - front row seat to earth, 22016

148. full of hell & merzbow, 2014. a pretty good FOH album, but merzbow seems very... tacked on? except not even really because you barely hear him pop up here. this is very reminiscent of the rampant collaborating in the fashion world these last few years, in that it's mainly an exercise in branding rather than design.

149. full of hell - weeping choir, 2019. more ass-kicking grind from these dudes by way of downieoshun

150. darkthrone - old star, 2019. i liked this one! probably the best they've put out in a long time, feels like they've really put the punkthrone/rockthrone thing to bed. it'll never be blaze or hunger or panzerfaust or whatever but for nowadays darkthrone i'll fuckin' take it.

151. full of hell - roots of earth, 2011. maybe their most interesting i've listened to, it's got a very early gloryhole era swedish DM sound to it, and a broad base of musical references. quite a different animal from their more recent efforts which are a lot more focused.

152. cave in - white silence, 2011. probably my favorite of theirs that i've listened to that isn't called until your heart stops, it doesn't really recall that superlative metalcore sound but it's a lot heavier than their efforts in the aughts. last few tracks were a bit weird compared to the rest of the album, but this one definitely warrants further investigation.

153. sarah davachi - the untuning of the sky, 2013. nice weird ambient soundscapey stuff, i listened to it because of the album title which i assume is directly lifted from a song from have a nice life's second album. will check more of her stuff out later

154. cave in - final transmission, 2019. :eyes:::::::::::::::: cave in's pale king, this album was never completed but they did get quite a few tracks down and done before caleb scofield died last year. final track is a pretty rough mix, so i assume this is basically the final document of what they laid down while he was still alive. fantastic stuff though; feels like what they were really going for all along after UYHS. i could never get into those albums, but i love this. maybe i've been wrong about those albums all along, or maybe i was right and the only reason my impression changed here is entirely due to someone dying! how very bleak
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Stormy you need to check that Hornwood Fell album I posted.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

that album isn't on any of my streaming stuff :hate: soon though

finally building up a surplus, hoping to get enough albums in to last thru the vacation before i leave since i won't have much time to explore while i'm out of station

155. slowdive - souvlaki, 1993. after listening to the namesake song by siouxsie and the banshees a million times i decided to check this out. it's not bad, but feels like a lesser blend of cocteau twins and MBV

156. cocteau twins - victorialand, 1986. like the rest of their albums its great

157. the body & full of hell - one day you will ache like i ache, 2016. now this is a proper collaboration, pretty much exactly what you'd expect mashing these two together. much better than the merzbow collab from a 'what happens when these dudes all get together' perspective

158. masayuki takayanagi new direction unit - april is the cruellest month, 1975. often forget how the noise of the 80s and subsequent weirdo stuff like disco volante has its roots in avant jazz, this sounds like a precursor to all of those things. an interesting album, neat from a formal perspective but not something i'm about to jam on the ride home from work.

159. earth - full upon her burning lips, 2019. it's earth in the hex-and-thereafter era, if you dig that you'll probably dig this (though i do prefer hex, maybe just because of having heard it first. also the blood meridian references)

160. thee silver mount zion - fuck off get free we pour light on everything, 2014. my first real foray in the Expanded Godspeed You! Black Emperor Cinematic Universe, texturally-speaking it's extremely familiar to GY!BE but with a very different structural approach. and vocals! i like it

161. dirty three - whatever you love, you are, 2000. it's a dirty three album -- it's a very good one, but i have to be in a particular mood to jam these guys and i wasn't in one when i listened to it. will have to revisit another time

162. gazelle twin - unflesh, 2014. really digging GT, paranoid claustrophobic glitchy electronic stuff, this lass is onto something big. i'd have to listen to both again but i think i prefer this one to pastoral?

163. dawn ray'd - the unlawful assembly, 2017. lefty black metal from the north of england, nothing earth-shattering musically but a mostly decent listen. not too hot on the clean vocal sections but i'll be keeping an eye out for future releases

164. plaid - polymer, 2019. competent electronic under the insufferably-named IDM umbrella. i like it but i don't love it; will prob stick to others in this genre

165. autechre - tri repertae, 1995. similar to the above but this shit is like 25 years old, pioneering stuff and part of the original warp records cadre. right up there with aphex twin in terms of doing the initial exploration & defining of the genre. wow how did i miss these dudes for so many years???

166. baroness - gold & grey, 2019. my gripes about the vocals have not subsided BUT musically i think this is vastly better than purple? i don't love it but i also don't hate it which is about as high praise as i can give for post-blue baroness.

167. gazelle twin - kingdom come, 2017. underwhelmed but this was the audio component to a multimedia ensemble so i guess i'm missing a lot here. for a pure listening experience, better off sticking with unflesh or pastoral

168. morbid angel - juvenilia, 2015/1989. this one is kind of cheating because ultimately it's not new, but i didn't know it until a few tracks in. classic earache cashgrab, this is just the audio track from the DVD that accompanied the altars reissue in the aughts, off one of the grindcrusher tours. a perfectly fine show i guess but i feel bad for anyone that spent money on this release

now current through june 20th
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

quick one before i leave for the airport

169. joy division - unknown pleasures, 1979
170. full of hell - rudiments of mutilation, 2009
171. silk road assassins - reflection spaces, 2016
172. big business - head for the shallow, 2005
173. clutch - earth rocker, 2013
174. mono - one step more and you die, 2003
175. clutch - elephant riders, 1998
176. devo - q. are we men? a. we are devo!, 1978
177. agoraphobic nosebleed - honky reduction, 1998
178. clutch - the book of bad decisions, 2018
179. pig destroyer - phantom limb, 2007
180. pelican - nighttime stories, 2019?
181. cattle decaptitation - the anthropocene extinction, 2015
182. devo - duty now for the future, 1979
183. youth code - a place to stand, 2014

current thru july 5th

:santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:xx:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

god damn 183 albums, impressive stormy
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Officially 50% complete :bulb:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I'm over here still listening to heartless by pallbearer like twice a week :homework:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

183 is july 2nd not the 5th :shake:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Yeah my count on here got fucked up somewhere and I can’t figure it out. My master list goes by days in each month and is accurate. Once I get to 365 I’ll recap the whole thing and post that
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

mayhaps you forgot to add an album
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

great job now you have to start over!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

new al bumper day :hard-on bearer:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

184. the millennium - begin, 1968
185. thom yorke - anima, 2019
186. russian circles - guidance, 2016
187. the haxan cloak - s/t, 2011
188. operators - blue wave, 2016
189. drab majesty - modern mirror, 2019
190. einsturzende neubaten - haus der luge, 1989
191. the haxan cloak - excavation, 2013
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I would like to talk about a specific album. It's not a spectacular album but more a collection of songs played within a live setting. It's in no way anything new, but, new to me. I always wanted to hear this record but, never could afford it. Everytime I went into the record store I'd always see it, ponder buying it, then find myself getting the latest Danzig record. Thays right, its 1993 and The Cure have put out, what I believe to be the first official live record.

The Show. Within its contents lies some of the most versatile track listing spanning from some of the highest points of their back catalogue. This would be spectacular if it would contain Killing an Arab or Boys Don't Cry. Nor does it have A Forest but I'd prefer to focus on the gems it does have. This set focuses primarily on the high points of their career. Stepping stones, if you will, that catapulted this band into stardom in the late eighties to early era of the gloryhole.

If you happen to never heard a live album by The Cure; this album is highly recommended. Even as an introductory record to those that would like to get to know a band at their deepest and most emotional point of their career.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

hmm, not so sure i'm keen on a lot of the material on that release, my main interest in the cure these days is the old stuff, but i'll make it a point to check it out (and maybe give some of their post-80s releases a shot)

onward!

192. einsturzende neubaten - haus der luge, 1989
193. stian westerhus - pitch black star spangled, 2010
194. pharmakon - abandon, 2013
195. scraping foetus off the wheel - nail, 1985
196. throbbing gristle - 20 jazz funk greats, 1979
197. foetus interruptus - thaw, 1988
198. scraping foetus off the wheel - hole, 1984
199. wormed - metaportal, 2019
200. tomb mold - planetary clairvoyance, 2019

some notes:

i think the actual number is 203

foetus is a thing i knew back in the gloryhole era when he released gash (and his many, many remixes, production credits, etc. at the time) which was more in tune with the industrial sound that was popular then. i've gone back to revisit the old stuff i never had a chance to check out since it was all long out of print. it's all solo studio releases by JG Thirlwell under various permutations of the foetus name, and i'm absolutely blown away at these albums. kind of like a one-man proto-industrial-meets-early-bungle, it's quite difficult to categorize but anyone with even a passing interest in the genre owes it to themselves to dig in. JG is without a doubt one of australia's greatest musical exports, the dude is mind-bogglingly prolific. he also did all of the music for venture brothers, as well as a large-ensemble studio project in that same vein called steroid maximus that was released thru ipecac.

stian westerhus is one of my favorite guitarists at the moment, nothing technical but he's incredibly inventive and i'm super psyched for his forthcoming album

pharmakon continues the tradition of the old power electronics/noise side of the industrial spectrum and it is wonderful although not something i'd be able to listen to at work or in the car. definitely dark room nighttime listening stuff

that einsturzende neubaten album is fantastic, i had no idea until the last week or so that they shared a member with the bad seeds, blixa bargeld. JG also collaborated with them in the very early days, he's got a credit on the first nick cave record! :dizzy:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Dr. Gonzo wrote:I would like to talk about a specific album. It's not a spectacular album but more a collection of songs played within a live setting. It's in no way anything new, but, new to me. I always wanted to hear this record but, never could afford it. Everytime I went into the record store I'd always see it, ponder buying it, then find myself getting the latest Danzig record. Thays right, its 1993 and The Cure have put out, what I believe to be the first official live record.

The Show. Within its contents lies some of the most versatile track listing spanning from some of the highest points of their back catalogue. This would be spectacular if it would contain Killing an Arab or Boys Don't Cry. Nor does it have A Forest but I'd prefer to focus on the gems it does have. This set focuses primarily on the high points of their career. Stepping stones, if you will, that catapulted this band into stardom in the late eighties to early era of the gloryhole.

If you happen to never heard a live album by The Cure; this album is highly recommended. Even as an introductory record to those that would like to get to know a band at their deepest and most emotional point of their career.
ok i'm like halfway through and this is actually fantastic disregard whatever i said in the last post
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Hey stormy

You ever jam any somali yacht club?
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

aint never heard of them hoes, what are those suckers all about
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

https://youtu.be/skKG9vY5SnM

Stoner post rock vibes :alien:
Ninny wrote:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:new al bumper day :hard-on bearer:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Hitoshura wrote:199. wormed - metaportal, 2019
:interessant:
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Hitoshura wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote:I would like to talk about a specific album. It's not a spectacular album but more a collection of songs played within a live setting. It's in no way anything new, but, new to me. I always wanted to hear this record but, never could afford it. Everytime I went into the record store I'd always see it, ponder buying it, then find myself getting the latest Danzig record. Thays right, its 1993 and The Cure have put out, what I believe to be the first official live record.

ok i'm like halfway through and this is actually fantastic disregard whatever i said in the last post
Seeing how you're into 80's synth pop. I'd recommend Staring at the Sea singles comp. Mostly focusing on the late 70's early 80's era of The Cure. I can imagine getting your hands on a physical copy would be daunting though.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

arborist shrub tarkington wrote:
arborist shrub tarkington wrote:new al bumper day :hard-on bearer:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Stormy you owe us some albums
Ninny wrote:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

WITH reviews
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

And what you think Zim will think of it
Ninny wrote:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

will i dig it or not
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

On a scale from 1 to 10 pizza slices
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

got some new ones on deck but i'm behind by a few days. work fucking me up atm, we're on "only one earbud allowed" mode right now but my boss is gonna be at a remote office soon so once he is i'll forge ahead

201. the cure - show, 1993. a live best-of featuring mainly stuff after the first three albums, which i still prefer but this is a good reminder that disintegration & the other stuff from that era is pretty good too. it's goth-pop so if your name is zim and that idea isn't reflexively revolting to you it might be enjoyable!

202. the flaming lips - king's mouth, 2019. ehh, they just really don't have it anymore. mick jones narrates a story that drags on far too long, has some great moments but is very bloated and probably could've been amazing if they'd made it an EP. zim would hate it

203. jaga jazzist - the stix, 2003. i thought i was out of jaga albums but there was another one! zim if you haven't checked out jaga you ought to because they will kick your ass off and you'll enjoy the experience!

204. the cure - the head on the door, 1985. see above!

205. lingua ignota - caligula, 2019. already gushed about this in the thread i made, easily one of the best releases of the year and i know zim's already heard this lady and hopefully approves and if he doesn't well then FUCK YOU PAL :hate:

206. clark - kiri variations, 2019. chris clark but doing lots of live instruments, i dunno how i feel about this one, it's not great. i predict zim would not enjoy

207. somali yacht club - the sea, 2018. decent post-rockish stuff but it's got vocals, what the hell man. i like it but i don't love it. no opinion on zim's opinion

current thru july 28th, 4 albums behind adam
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

:gay:
Ninny wrote:
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

syc are listenable because they actually have vocals :santa: