new album per day

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: new album per day

Post by happiness and harmony »

Hitoshura wrote:203. jaga jazzist - the stix, 2003. i thought i was out of jaga albums but there was another one! zim if you haven't checked out jaga you ought to because they will kick your ass off and you'll enjoy the experience!
wait what the hell is this now
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

an album i didn't realize existed until i did!

208. russian circles - blood year, 2019
209. tool - opiate, 1992
210. monster magnet - superjudge, 1993
211. absorbed, reverie, 1996
212. dean hurley - anthology resource, vol ii: philosophy of the beyond, 2019
213. nitzer ebb - that total age, 1987
214. dean hurley - anthology resource, vol i, 2017
215. stereolab - transient random-noise bursts with announcements, 1993
216. bon iver - i,i, 2019
217. silver jews - starlite walker, 1994
218. einsturzende neubaten - halber mensch, 1985
219. sega bodega - ss (2015), 2015
220. silver jews - the natural bridge, 1996
221. realm - endless war, 1988
222. purple mountains - s/t, 2019

some brief thoughts now that i'm slightly less brain-fried from an absolute meltdown monday at work

i was listening to a lot of monster magnet the other week and got a very upsetting "if you like monster magnet, you may also enjoy" from itunes which headlined limp bizkit.

opiate's pretty good but an album i frequently see cited from metalheads as their sole guilty pleasure from tool's oeuvre, and i don't really understand that because it's not any more or less metal than anything else they've done

that absorbed jawn lavabug recommended kicks ass. i only listened to the album proper, the release in question actually compiles i think everything they did and has a couple hours' worth of stuff. will check out the marginalia at a later time but the album is solid as fuck (and with apologies to herr gonzo, the clear better of the two versus realm, when it comes to obscure tech-metal unearthings here on MABB)

dean hurley is a sound hard-on bearer who's worked closely with david lynch over the years, spooky soundscape stuff. very good, would've dovetailed nicely with my haxan cloak explorations last month

that stereolab album i think is what i've really always wanted to hear when i listen to shoegazey stuff

new bon iver is pretty good if you like bon iver but still features his irritating electronic/vocoder/autotune flourishes that featured more heavily on 22. it has never been a good addition to his sonic repertoire, which is otherwise pretty magnificent. still prefer emma/self-titled though, i think

silver jews/purple mountains piqued my curiosity because of everyone paying tribute to david berman who killed himself last week. sad-sack indie stuff, he was a really fantastic lyricist (and not very good vocalist), i guess i get the appeal if you're prone to being a depressed sad-sack. but also especially after listening to the purple mountains album i'm not remotely surprised he's dead because holy shit this is some bleak stuff! wonderfully so at times, but yikes, glad i discovered this now and not when i was 23.
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

opiate kicks dick. its more raw and simple than anything else theyve done. you should jam the rest of their discography including salival until fear inoculum drops on the 30th!
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i agree with that assessment relative to the rest of their output, just don't think it's really a face-saver if you're a trve kvlt diehard in your 30s/40s. if you're overly concerned about being asked to leave the hall you really can't cop to enjoying any tool records. also i should prob clarify here that i'm referring to locals; MABB has its tool detractors but i don't think they object on the basis of being overly image-conscious

here i was thinking that i'd finally completed the official discography at long last (only listened to lateralus like 2-3 years ago & opiate just now but otherwise heard the rest contemporaneously; i owned undertow long ago thru BMG mailorder when i was in the 5th grade!) but no actually i ain't heard no salival so that's on the to-do list now i guess
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

It’s a live cd/vhs. It’s not on streaming presumably because of their no quarter cover doesn’t have clearance. You’ll have to d/l it or listen on YouTube. I bought it upon release for like $30 now you’ll see copies on eBay for $200-$300+
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

https://youtu.be/oJjt0CdoIrY
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Oh god the 432 Hz tuning nutjobs.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

440 IS A SATANIC CONSPIRACY HITLER ROSE TO POWER USING A440 THE DEVIL WORKS THRU THE CURSED FREQUENCY
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Stormy, suggest to me 7 albums I probably haven't heard and I'll write one short review per day in this thread.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Abzu wrote:Stormy, suggest to me 7 albums I probably haven't heard and I'll write one short review per day in this thread.
hmm this will be a challenge. i am going to pick strictly off the list of stuff i've listened to this year that maybe you also haven't. and also there will be no metal

gum takes tooth - arrow
bibio - ribbons
macintosh plus - floral shoppe
foetus - nail
stian westerhus - amputation
this mortal coil - it'll end in tears
einsturzende neubaten - tabula rasa

there's a couple things on here i suspect you may have heard but i dunno. let me know if any of these are repeats and i'll sub something else in

:judge:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

223. tryptikon - melana chasma, 2014
224. magma - magma, 1970
225. mars89 - lucid dream, 2017
226. galaxie 500 - this is our music, 1990
227. mars89 - end of the death, 2018
228. red noise - sarcelles - locheres, 1970
229. silver jews - american water, 1998
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

al bumper
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Dr. Gonzo
Metal God

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. I'm quite enamored by the amount of new music that one can find in here. Very good idea.

With that said I'd like to talk about a band that I've known since 2012 called Orchid. I've heard the two full length releases and enjoyed them thourally. This band, in the past, have been somewhat of a sabbath clone form the early days. The singer, has a voice that falls somewhere between Ozzy And Ian Gillian. Now that they have announced a new record writing process I had to revisit the latest ep since I ain't heard them shits yet. The release is called Sign of the Witch. Five song EP from 2015. Imagine Volume IV from sabbath but more stoned sounding. The ep starts out kinda routine with a hard bass line delivered tempo. Don't ask me what the songs about but it has a war pigs feel lyrically which is kinda cool.

Secondly, John the Tiger has a Rat Salad vibe going on that is enjoyable but still needs more originality in the musicianship.

The title track delivers a droning rendition of Supernaught in the guitar melody. Possibly the best song on the EP with catchy hooks and powerfull bass and vocals. Catchy vocal harmonies, which I think is the best the lead singer has offered since the inception of the band.

Lastly, the song Strange Minds sends you on an unadulterated head trip straight from the most double dipped LSD you could ever get your hands on. Eerily resemble the beatles track off of the Revolver album called Tomorrow Never Knows but with a Sabbath's Planet Caravan twist. Easily the best song on the EP.

Hopefully with the announcement today of a third full length release these boys from San Francisco can deliver a solid psychedelic, stoned out trip for the mind unlike anything they've released yet, building on the last EP. I honestly look forward to what's to come.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Hitoshura wrote:i was listening to a lot of monster magnet the other week and got a very upsetting "if you like monster magnet, you may also enjoy" from itunes which headlined limp bizkit.
just, no
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Hitoshura wrote:
Abzu wrote:Stormy, suggest to me 7 albums I probably haven't heard and I'll write one short review per day in this thread.
hmm this will be a challenge. i am going to pick strictly off the list of stuff i've listened to this year that maybe you also haven't. and also there will be no metal

gum takes tooth - arrow
bibio - ribbons
macintosh plus - floral shoppe
foetus - nail
stian westerhus - amputation
this mortal coil - it'll end in tears
einsturzende neubaten - tabula rasa

there's a couple things on here i suspect you may have heard but i dunno. let me know if any of these are repeats and i'll sub something else in

Haven't heard a single one and I shall begin my hunt naow! Image
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

oh hell yeah, i think you'll dig that TMC in particular. lisa gerrard :thingy:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

230. the chameleons - script of the bridge, 1983
231. tool - fear inoculum, 2019
232. the chameleons - what does anything mean? basically, 1985
233. the chameleons - strange times, 1987
234. lana del ray - norman fucking rockwell!, 2019
235. umlaut - ultimate uber death metal, 2005 (this was not the umlaut i was in search of)
236. umlaut - umlaut, 2007 (this one is, however!)
237. pharmakon - devour, 2019
238. umlaut - to your poverty quietly go, 2014
239. umlaut - arunachala, 2019

4 days behind as of now. umlaut is fantastic, it's the project of clinton mckinnon, who played sax for bungle. big bungle/sc3 x jaga jazzist vibes, very, very cool stuff. the first chameleons album is one of the best i've come across this year as well
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Song To The Siren, The Last Ray, Dreams Made Flesh, Not Me, A Single Wish...

There is so much to swoon over with this album. It sits perfectly in its time and echoing timelessly forward. A YouTube comment about Song To The Siren described the album best, in my opinion -- "This is not a song, it’s a spell and it’s haunted me for years."
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

This thread is so gold. :xx:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Wait, were the days supposed to be consecutive? :redneck:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

You’re lagging behind :judge:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Post by Methuselah Honeysuckle »

So are you :waa:
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 21:53
but now I want to suck her soft parts.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

240. neurosis & jarboe, 2003
241. oneohtrix point never - garden of delete, 2015
242. cold cave - love comes close, 2009
243. spioritualized - pure phase, 1995
244. kayo dot - blasphemy, 2019
245. young widows - easy pain, 2014
246. zu - jhator, 2017
247. lustmord - the dark places of the earth, 2009
248. fly pan am - n'ecoutez pas, 2004
249. the psychedelic furs - talk talk talk, 1981
250. coil - love's secret domain, 1991
251. sam rosenthal with nick shadow and steve roach - the gesture of history, 2019
252. young widows - old wounds, 2008
253. the smiths - meat is murder, 1985
254. chelsea wolfe - the birth of violence, 2019
255. crypt sermon - the ruins of fading light, 2019

that OPN is one of my favorites of his, very different to the rest i've heard which tends to be closer to the ambient end of the spectrum, this was closer to something from venetian snares.

new kayo dot was pretty good but they kinda shot their wad early debuting the title track that closes the album, which is its finest moment.

that coil album is something else, beginning to understand why these guys were so revered. i've been a big fan of horse rotorvator for a while but it always felt relatively conventional, i guess this is where all the hype is, so to speak

that sam rosenthal jawn is one of the best ambient albums i've heard in a long time, just a straight up hour of viola textures. fuckin' magnificent though

new chelsea is a quality fall-time jam, as is the new crypt sermon which is new old timey heavy/doom metal

current through september 14

ain't slackin' off now :judge:
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

How in the fuck are you just now jamming neurosis and jarboe?

Also what did you think of that fly pan am album?
vega wrote:But when I am meeting she is a round circle like egg. :oldryan: . She is eating 88% of foods and I am paying 100% bill.
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah i dunno how i skipped that one for 16 years but here we are

i knew they were kind of associated with GYBE and on constellation so i was expecting some post-rockish stuff but it was more like long-winded trashy quebecois garage rock, so it wasn't what i was expecting but it was pretty good!
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Hitoshura wrote:246. zu - jhator, 2017
:bulb:

tell me more
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

imagine the soundtrack that would accompany a time-lapse capture of a sky burial & the subsequent migration of the spirit to the realms beyond earth, that is jhator (it's very good!)
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

:gay:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

256. inverloch - distance fall down in a giant display of homosexuality, 2016
257. soilent green - a deleted symphony for the beaten down, 2001
258. soilent green - sewn mouth secrets, 1998
259. the melvins - a senile animal, 2006
260. blut aus nord - hallucinogen, 2019
261. m83 - dsvii, 2019

mostly all good stuff, i need to give the inverloch another listen. there were some tracks that sounded like they were lifted straight from disembowelment days but i think they might've been bonus tracks. sounded fantastic whatever they were! the soilents & melvins & new BAN are all great; new m83 wears the bore ring with pride, but i also don't know what i was expecting from it so, meh

current thru september 20th

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Goddamn stormy you aced it. Gonna get myself in the know with these. :xx:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i'm honestly shocked i've kept up this long, i've had a few stretches where it's been a real slog just trying to think of stuff to listen to. this is literally the only resolution i've ever stuck to :redneck:

the only thing i've really fell off on is doing more elaborate reviews here, it's just too much. i got to sard somewhere and sadly you all get the short end of this project's stick :eyes:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

and yeah the bonus tracks on that inverloch LP are fucking out of control. the last in particular, jesus fucking christ, this could've been on the 2005 d compilation and it wouldn't feel out of place.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Hitoshura wrote:and yeah the bonus tracks on that inverloch LP are fucking out of control. the last in particular, jesus fucking christ, this could've been on the 2005 d compilation and it wouldn't feel out of place.
:bang: goddamn
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

not working on phone calls today so going through some of stormy's album lists :thingy:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Hitoshura wrote:259. the melvins - a senile animal, 2006
:llama:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

also for a bunch of years i seriously forgot that zu existed. the next time i have some spare monies and don't feel like buying garden stuff i'm gonna flesh me out their discography :rocker:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i only knew about them because they’re releasing stuff on ulver’s label now, there is a new one coming up soon :bulb:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

you knew about them back in the day because i posted their songs :waa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i legitimately do not remember hearing about them at all and i am 99.9% positive jhator was the first thing i listened to :oops:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

your memory is cottage cheese and your taste in clothing is bizarre :waa:
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

correct :idea:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

262. ajattara - murhat, 2011
263. dan swano - moontower, 1998
264. edge of sanity - purgatory afterglow, 1994
265. the jesus & mary chain - psychocandy, 1985
266. spotlights - tidals, 2016
267. spotlights - seismic, 2017
268. wolf parade - apologies to the queen mary, 2005
269. type o negative - world coming down, 1999
270. mssngno - fones, 2019

current thru sept 29

:santa:

i'd probably be well into october but i've been hooked on the new operators album again and have listened to it at least once a day every day this week. also been jamming the disembowelment album a lot this week too. to give an idea of where my mood has been at

:chetty:
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

a wolf parade would be disorganized
Skinfection wrote:
super Jesus people
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

World coming down :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

The new Chelsea Wolfe is awesome.

Really happy she made another acoustic album. :xx:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

small update, current thru today 10/4

271. savatage - sirens, 1983
272. savatage - the dungeons are calling, 1984
273. savatage - power of the night, 1985
274. savatage - fight for the rock, 1986
275. nick cave & the bad seeds - ghosteen, 2019

finally filled out the savatage backcatalogue, i expected little but sirens and dungeons honestly kick fucking ass. classic 80s heavy metal, really not that far off hall of the mountain king. power is pretty good too, fight is the only one i probably won't bother revisiting. day after day? wtf man, i get trying to do covers of your influences or whatever but this really doesn't remotely work, even as a b-side.

the new nick cave is one of the best albums this year and 2019 has been a tremendous year for new music. i have an itch to call it bordering on ambient because there is no rhythm section present on either disc but that's not really accurate. probably his prettiest album ever, and i have not forgotten that the boatman's call is an album that also exists. if you like nick cave you should listen to this posthaste it's fuckin' great m8

still immensely stuck on the new operators though. definitely in my overall top 10 for this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foB_qnZDlTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAsRVC0-OII
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Sirens is some bomb fucking diggity goodness
Ninny wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

fuckin' a right :xx:::::::
Methuselah Honeysuckle
Postwhore

Some of those kexp videos are also full of bomb fucking diggity goodness
Ninny wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

That’s a lot of savatage.

KEXP :thingy: