Bands that took you years to get into

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Bands that took you years to get into

Post by rhino »

One day you went all like :xx:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Re: Bands that took you years to get into

Post by Mesarthim »

Demilich
Bolt Thrower
Summoning
Meshuggah
Rotting Christ
Ne Obliviscaris

That’s all that comes to mind at this moment. It’s not that I disliked them per se - just never really dived into them and gave a serious listen. Though as I’ve said before I really did not like Demilich because of the vocals but got over it eventually.
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

Radiohead. Tried pretty hard to dislike them but eventually the power of OK Computer just floored me :eek:
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

Just that album?
Ninny
Metal God

Post by Ninny »

Obituary I guess, live Obituary :xx:
Aðalsteinn
Metal God

Post by Aðalsteinn »

rhino wrote:Just that album?
Nah, I bought both Pablo Honey and The Bends upon release. I greatly disliked their mainstream acceptance following OK Computer (typical stupid elitist behaviour :redneck: ) and it took me awhile to understand the album.

On a related note, Pablo has not aged well at all :oldryan: Bends is a better album by a mile.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Meshuggah (until Nothing came out)
Soulfly
Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

Serj solo
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

this is a really good question and i know i have many answers

damned if i can think of one though
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

The Luster of Pandemonium by Crimson Massacre is one that I was interested in for long time but only ever listened to here and there because at least for my taste the aesthetics are extremely abrasive and jarring. I've had this album for at least ten years but it's only now getting regular listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbxECjqVXM&t=1s

I remember Cynic's debut taking a while too. It eventually became something I listened to several times per week back in '04-05, but I probably haven't done a start to finish listen in a couple years at this point.

Even though I've had recordings and have been aware of the great classical composers for a long time I've probably listened to more of their works in the past couple years than I have in the past 20 years combined. I don't know enough about music to say anything intelligent about what's going on, but I think at the very least I have enough patience at this point in my life to finally begin to soak in what's going on.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

Skinfection wrote:Type O Negative

I didn't really "get" them. Thought they were cheeseball until I actually gave October Rust an honest listen. Then I quickly realized how silly I'd been.
big agree, though it was WCD that really flipped the switch for me
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Paste Human wrote:The Luster of Pandemonium by Crimson Massacre is one that I was interested in for long time but only ever listened to here and there because at least for my taste the aesthetics are extremely abrasive and jarring. I've had this album for at least ten years but it's only now getting regular listens.

I remember Cynic's debut taking a while too. It eventually became something I listened to several times per week back in '04-05, but I probably haven't done a start to finish listen in a couple years at this point.

Even though I've had recordings and have been aware of the great classical composers for a long time I've probably listened to more of their works in the past couple years than I have in the past 20 years combined. I don't know enough about music to say anything intelligent about what's going on, but I think at the very least I have enough patience at this point in my life to finally begin to soak in what's going on.

Do you listen to any music other than death metal? Just curious.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i concur with type o negative

another big one, and an awful one, for me is

clutch :tear:

i didn't get into them until around 2011. i downloaded blast tyrant on release, mp3s just sat on my computer a few years then i was like wow!
more metal
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

jorsh wrote:
Paste Human wrote:The Luster of Pandemonium by Crimson Massacre is one that I was interested in for long time but only ever listened to here and there because at least for my taste the aesthetics are extremely abrasive and jarring. I've had this album for at least ten years but it's only now getting regular listens.

Do you listen to any music other than death metal? Just curious.
Yeah, for example I did mention classical in the post you quoted :redneck:

Heavy metal in general is mostly what I listen to, and of that death metal gets the most plays. I don't spend nearly as much time with music as I used to, but it would probably break down to something like:

70% DM
10% BM
10% Speed Metal
5% Prog
5% MIsc. (hard rock, classical, electronica, whatever Laibach is, etc.)

A buddy from work is really into jazz so lately I've been listening to more of that than I ever have. Jam Session by Charlie Parker is awesome - especially Oscar Peterson's solos on the piano :santa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXP84ijiLbg
droidspawn
I'd Rank That For $1

Post by droidspawn »

Yeah that’s about what I figured percentage wise :redneck:
Paste Human
Metal God

Post by Paste Human »

Obscura by Gorguts is another one that took a long time to get into, although I haven't listened to it in a couple years now. Their first couple albums still have me stumped, although I could see eventually getting into them. I think the issue was the denseness of the riffing that kept me from really getting a handle on what was going on, and the inevitable impulse to put on Suffocation instead. From Wisdom to Hate is probably still more my speed as far as Gorguts is concerned.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Paste Human wrote:Obscura by Gorguts is another one that took a long time to get into, although I haven't listened to it in a couple years now. Their first couple albums still have me stumped, although I could see eventually getting into them. I think the issue was the denseness of the riffing that kept me from really getting a handle on what was going on, and the inevitable impulse to put on Suffocation instead. From Wisdom to Hate is probably still more my speed as far as Gorguts is concerned.
i remember not liking obscura and then one day it just clicked. it's one of those artsy fartsy albums that challenges what the genre actually is and gets a little weird with it, i love it. also colored sands is a great album too.

some of the live performances of obscura really helped me get into it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneRbPrCsZE
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i love obscura and coloured sands and saw them in 2014 i think it was and they fucking rocked

but i never got into their other albums the same way
more metal
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Ninny wrote:Obituary I guess, live Obituary :xx:
This. They're probably the most overlooked band for me when I started getting into the whole Florida death metal stuff. But now I really do like them! The Cause of Death record is now a regular on my beer/death metal nights.