Perturbator "Death of the Soul"

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Perturbator "Death of the Soul"

Post by Mesarthim »

:xx:
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
vO)))id
Metal God

Re: Perturbator "Death of the Soul"

Post by vO)))id »

New music? :shock:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah he announced the new one a little while ago, i think it's probably soon as i've seen blood records promoting the vinyl editions in the last couple weeks

new track whips as usual :xx:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

fuck yeah and an awesome vid clip too
more metal
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

Post by brandonfromohio »

I have been listening to synthwave constantly since checking this out. Thank you for introducing me to this genre, ill make some cool synthwave songs too.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

check out carpenter brut and dan terminus if you haven't already, these three are the best in the synthwave game IMO
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

Ive been listening to Carpenter Brut and Perturbator quite heavily. Listening to Gunship now. Will check out Dan Terminus. This is like when I just discovered death metal and was struggling to find out more bands and keep up with everything.

Back in 1997, George Fisher himself had to tell me that "The Exorcist" was a song by Possessed. Looking back on it now, I mustve been completely clueless. Who and when were this genre's origins? I need to watch Rise of the Synth again. Who are the Venoms and Possesseds and Deaths of synthwave?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

most people would trace its popular ascent to the drive & hotline miami soundtracks that came out in 2011-2012. tracing the artistic origins is maybe a little trickier only because when it comes down to it, the first wave of artists emerging in the mid/late aughts and early 2010s were all pretty explicitly paying tribute to the 70s/80s output of dudes like john carpenter, vangelis, tangerine dream and the like.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Wumpscut.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

yeah this is cool, will listen to the albuim
User
Metal God

Post by User »

sexcational
more metal
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

Hmm, the new tracks aren't doing much for me, sadly. Don't mind experimentation, but they just....don't go anywhere interesting, and sort of cut off before they get going.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

burrrrrrrrrrn
more metal
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

new album is out today and it is a hot-ass jam
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

Thanks to this post, I have purchased a Roland keyboard and will be making synthwave music.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

How Perturbator taught a generation of metallers to dance

For years Perturbator has been at the heart of the burgeoning synthwave scene that has crept into the heavily-guarded world of denim and leather. Here we talk to the man himself about why his dystopian, sci-fi electronics are the perfect fit for the corpsepainted masses.

Words: Paul Travers

Download Festival 2017. Over on the second stage Slayer are tearing the early evening to shreds, as is (or was) their wont. On the tent-enclosed Avalanche Stage, The Dillinger Escape Plan are redefining intensity as they play their last-ever UK show. And while it’s not the ideal slot for a relatively niche act to be introducing themselves, over at the Dogtooth Stage, quite a crowd of the committed and the curious have gathered. In the shadows of the stage itself sits a menacing, angular structure housing a bank of synths. Face obscured by a dark hoodie, a single figure emerges and starts to draw out huge, unearthly synth soundscapes as the lights pulse and feed the building atmosphere. Sonically, it’s a far cry from the pure metallic onslaughts occurring elsewhere, but there’s something going on aesthetically and thematically that this crowd just gets. This is the dark synthwave sound of Perturbator and it goes down an absolute storm.

“The crowd for Perturbator is basically a lot of rock and metal fans anyway, so it makes sense that I play these festivals,” muses James Kent – the man behind Perturbator – four years after that Download show. He is also now a veteran of major Euro rock and metal fests including the likes of Hellfest, Roadburn and Rock Am Ring and, he says, has never once had to dodge a bottle of piss thrown in anger.

“The crowd is usually super-responsive,” he smiles. ​“Surprisingly so at first I thought, but then I started getting used to it and they got used to me as well. I did play an electronic music festival where I could really tell – I mean, they don’t throw bottles of piss – but I could just tell the audience was not into it at all. For some reason it just doesn’t vibe well with electronic music fans. Maybe it’s because of the imagery or the structures, or maybe the narrative behind the music. I’m not too sure but it’s more for metalheads, the music I make.”

James himself was exposed to a lot of different music styles growing up in Paris, France. It was probably inevitable that he would develop somewhat eclectic tastes when you consider both his parents were music journalists – his dad is influential former NME journo Nick Kent, who played in an early incarnation of the Sex Pistols – and that they also played together in a trance band. They had, James previously revealed, exposed him to Pantera by the age of three, while the household rolled to a soundtrack heavy on ​‘70s rock and ​’80s new wave bands like Depeche Mode and Tears For Fears.

Synths were never far away and the first instrument he learned to play was ​‘a huge Korg’, but it was metal that really got its claws into a young James – and the heavier the better. ​“I listened to Slayer’s Reign In Blood when I was very young and I was blown away,” he recalls. ​“From thereon out I never once got out. I started trying to find other bands and went from thrash metal to death metal and then black metal. And with black metal it was just a natural progression for me, because I was looking for more and more atmospheric music and music that was very introspective. Black metal to me, that is what it is.”

James became active in the local black metal scene, playing ​“a couple of live shows in nasty bars” as a guitarist, but soon became disillusioned. ​“I was around 18 years old and basically I was tired of playing in bands and having to compromise. So I decided to make a solo project,” he says. He took his first cues from soundtrack composers such as John Carpenter (Halloween), Vangelis (Blade Runner) and Italian band Goblin, most noted for their collaborations with horror legend Dario Argento. ​“It came from a desire to make John Carpenter-ish soundtracks to movies that don’t exist,” he nods.

Indeed, where much of the emergent synthwave scene that he found himself a part of was filled with cheerfully neon-streaked ​‘80s nostalgia, Perturbator had a darker vision from the outset. Self-released 2012 album Terror 404 obsessed on scream queen Linnea Quigley (Graduation Day, The Return Of The Living Dead) while I Am The Night trod the violent streets of a cyberpunk dystopia. Add EPs with titles like Night Driving Avenger and The 80s Slasher and you have a back catalogue that plays like the horror and sci-fi walls of your local ​‘80s off-licence-cum-video store (ask your grandad).

It might seem quite the leap to get from black metal guitars to even the deepest and darkest of synthwave, but a lot of black metal musos have incorporated or moved on to different styles, from prog to ambient and even jazz. For James the transition to synth was not an unnatural one, with the main link being that sense of atmosphere. ​“To me that’s the link between black metal and synth music. It’s just the fact that synthesisers are very atmospheric instruments,” he says. ​“They sound very alien and layers of synths can sound very introspective. And you can definitely hear that in black metal too, it’s very intimate music. And yeah, a lot of black metal artists have synth projects. Like Fenriz has Neptune Towers and there’s a lot of dungeon synth music made by black metal bands.”

Perturbator’s own music has evolved considerably over the lifespan of the project. 2017’s New Model EP saw the introduction of harsher textures and more sinister sounds, with more than a hint of industrial menace alongside the sweeping synths. Brand new album Lustful Sacraments takes things even further, bringing in gothic whispers and guitar-driven elements of post-punk. It doesn’t erase Perturbator’s past but it does transcend it, transforming into something far less easily definable in the process.

“Every time somebody asks me, I cannot properly tell them what style of music it is,” James shrugs. ​“Which I see as a good thing, because it makes it a bit more special and unique. I think I’ve already started to emancipate myself from what people call synthwave since my last album. For me it’s just a logical step further into transforming Perturbator into more of a project that is like a mix, a blend of a lot of my influences and a lot of the things I love. Rather than just this ​‘80s love letter thing that it used to be.”

Lyrically too, Lustful Sacraments has changed without shedding any of its darkness. ​“It’s a very nihilistic album and it’s an album that deals with themes like addiction, self-destruction, all the bad habits that we have,” its creator explains. ​“Drinking a lot, drugs for some of us and all those vices. What’s important for me though, it’s not an album that’s supposed to give you a moral lesson. It was mostly a look into my own self and how I deal with those themes and that strife. So there’s no message behind it, there’s no moral lesson except for maybe one the listener finds for themselves. It was for me to make some distance from myself and just look at it from a remove. Although maybe some people can relate to that.”

So it’s more grounded in realism and less in sci-fi this time out?

“Absolutely, yeah. It still has a lot of religious undertones and some sort of a fantasy side to it, but it’s really not as prominent as it was on my previous albums. It’s really not about Crazy Sci-Fi World or artificial intelligence and stuff like this. It’s more of a human psychology-based thing.”

As well as the new album, Perturbator has a European tour lined up, which will also see some changes with a live drummer now firmly ensconced and James himself hauling out his guitar for some tracks. The whole set-up promises a denser and even darker experience and is due to hit the UK in November – if it goes ahead at all of course.

“Right now France is still pretty late on the vaccine stuff and we’ve just barely started to remove the lockdown. It still feels like we’re not out of the woods yet so it’s hard to tell,” James says with all the pessimism you might expect from his music. ​“Oh, I’m always very pessimistic,” he adds with a laugh when we point this out.

So are we heading for the sort of dystopia you’ve been dealing with on your albums for years?

​“Aren’t we already there? I thought things would always go worse and worse as the years go by. The pandemic doesn’t help obviously, but it’s a lack of empathy and a lack of meaningful connections between people and much more vicious and manipulative governments.”

Hey, we might be going to hell in a handcart, but at least in Perturbator we have the perfect soundtrack for the descent.

Lustful Sacraments is out now via Blood Music.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/how-pe ... -to-dance/
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

brandonfromohio wrote:
29 May 2021, 03:31
Thanks to this post, I have purchased a Roland keyboard and will be making synthwave music.
nice! my first synth was a roland alpha juno 1

what'd you get
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

looking forward to jamming this while i run tomorrow
more metal
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

I went for a walk last night with the dog - decided to engage in some amateur photography while this played as the soundtrack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Awesome lummo. Very much in the same vibe.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

this album is really good imo
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

So, yeah, wasn't too crazy about this one after the first listen. The new direction didn't do much for me, the vocal tracks left me cold, and I just felt a general lack of memorable song structures. Though I enjoyed a couple towards the end, but the album as a whole sounded disappointing...and short. Maybe I'll check it out again and see if my opinion changes, but that's where I'm at for now.
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i listened to the first six songs but did not form an opinion, i will listen again properly
more metal
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

This album is so good!

I spent a lot of money on this keyboard. I better put it to good use. Thanks perturbator and "Burnton C Bell" for causing me to do this.
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

brandonfromohio wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 04:26
This album is so good!

I spent a lot of money on this keyboard. I better put it to good use. Thanks perturbator and "Burnton C Bell" for causing me to do this.
Have you heard some of his older material? Check out the EPs.
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

Corpsepyre wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 05:53
brandonfromohio wrote:
This album is so good!

Ever since "Burton C Bell" posted this topic, I have fallen in love with this genre and have listening to this stuff a lot. I love all of his stuff. Last month I watched "Rise of the Synth" and now I want to make this kind of music. I had "dabbling" in electronic music since the mid gloryhole era, but this is an electronic music genre that really floored me.
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

brandonfromohio wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 06:28
Corpsepyre wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 05:53
brandonfromohio wrote:
This album is so good!

Ever since "Burton C Bell" posted this topic, I have fallen in love with this genre and have listening to this stuff a lot. I love all of his stuff. Last month I watched "Rise of the Synth" and now I want to make this kind of music. I had "dabbling" in electronic music since the mid gloryhole era, but this is an electronic music genre that really floored me.
Cool. Check these too. My current favourites.

deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

great album, i think i like a new model more but too early to judge
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

hey brandon
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
User
Metal God

Post by User »

i have decided this album is good but i prefer all the other albums to it
more metal
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

User wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 07:54
Yeah, after hearing it a few more times, that's where I'm at as well.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Corpsepyre wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 19:37
User wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 07:54
Yeah, after hearing it a few more times, that's where I'm at as well.
:idea:
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

after further review:

I Am the Night
The Uncanny Valley
Dangerous Days
Lustful Sacraments
New Model (the only EP I really liked)
Terror 404
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Corpsepyre

Post by Corpsepyre »

Burton C. Bell wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 04:27
after further review:

I Am the Night
The Uncanny Valley
Dangerous Days
Lustful Sacraments
New Model (the only EP I really liked)
Terror 404
Interesting. I'd still rank the new one below the EPs, but I've warmed up to a few tracks.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

sexualizer is a lot of fun but its also just a bit too basic to be considered better than his output over the last few years, imo
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

this new song is pretty cool :idea:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Last song is playing now.

I do appreciate it that he went a different route. Some more guitar and more late 70's, early 80's new-wave inspirations.

Pretty good album IMO. It'll grow on me more for sure.
brandonfromohio
Poopy Pants

Some of the material on this album reminds me of Killing Joke and very old NIN.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

And The Cure too. But yes, I had major Killing Joke vibes. Which is a good thing.
rhino
PAWG Hunter

Post by rhino »

A little late to the party, but fuck yeah this stuff is awesome

Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

:santa:
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

dude is straight up killing it
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

somehow missed this nifty little performance:

Birth of the new model 00:00
Neo tokyo 5:29
Futur club 9:43
She Is Young, She Is Beautiful, She Is Next 13:48
corrupted design 20:15
Excess 23:40
She Moves Like a Knife 28:08
Diabolus ex machina 34:15
Weapons for childrens 37:40
Humans Are Such Easy Prey 39:28
rhino wrote:
Verbal wrote:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Oh yeah thats awesome
User
Metal God

Post by User »

Mesarthim wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 22:31

it's cool but can't hold me for more than 15 mins, there is literally nothing going on here apart from the music and a couple of windmills
more metal
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

User wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 12:34
Mesarthim wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 22:31

it's cool but can't hold me for more than 15 mins, there is literally nothing going on here apart from the music and a couple of windmills
After watching that, I agree.
It gets super boring after 10 minutes. Music is cool tho.