Throbbing Gristle

Talk about the classic Dionysian passion. Post the genres, eras, albums and bands that whammy your bar. Try not to post gloryhole era threads.
FUKKET
Metal God

Throbbing Gristle

Post by FUKKET »

Throbbing Gristle

Is anyone a fan & can recommend something at my face to check out?

I ask as on a FNM chat list, there's talk about them playing a Throbbing Gristle tune at their shows coming up.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: Throbbing Gristle

Post by jawn galliano »

i have no idea what FNM covering TG would sound like, perhaps they were joking? maybe not though, they've done a pretty wide range of live covers, maybe there's something by throbbing that i haven't heard that could work. wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if patton had an interest in them though.

if you've never heard them, they're definitely on the noise/experimental side of the industrial spectrum. the albums i have are devoid of percussion, it's all sampling and synth work and such -- think of a really hideous version of kraftwerk, and you're on the right track.

they're more or less responsible for the entire industrial spectrum, for that matter -- they started up in the mid 70's, well before industrial started taking off in its various forms in the 80's, and are pretty frequently cited as a major influence by most of those guys. structurally, what most people (and i) associate industrial with doesn't share an awful lot in common with TG, but they pretty much defined the industrial aesthetic. i assume the 'industrial music' term also stems from them, as TG ran the industrial records label.

i only have a couple discs from them, try checking out 'the second annual report of throbbing gristle' to get an idea of what they're about
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: Throbbing Gristle

Post by FUKKET »

:santa:

thanks!