guitar build progress thread

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Postwhore

guitar build progress thread

Postby zim » 09 Mar 2019, 13:30

finally doing it after years of talk. for my first build i'm doing a kind of jackson soloist inspired guitar. solid mahogany body, one humbucker, floyd rose (probably overkill for a first build but i'm doin' it), maybe a neck pick up. i also plan on building a neck but waiting until i finish the body.

one.jpg

before i did the rough cut i had to smooth the surface with a belt sander, it didn't ship completely flat :frown:
two.jpg

roughly shaped out with a jigsaw since i don't have a band saw
three.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zim
Postwhore

Re: guitar build progress thread

Postby zim » 09 Mar 2019, 13:39

these pics are about two weeks apart.. turns out i don't know much about woodworking and kept buying the wrong router bits and had to keep waiting :oldryan: i had to use two different 1 inch router bits due to the size constraints on the router i have access to. the results were a little odd, it makes the wood look like it's two separate pieces that were glued together. there's also a small raised line through the middle of the cut due to the router bits being slightly different.

i am super happy though, it feels like an actual guitar body at this point. still a lot of work left but i feel really good and inspired now :xx:

i needed to raise the template up a little bit so i used these pieces of aluminum i found nearby
six.jpg

first pass with the 1 inch bit, at this point i had to switch out the bit and flip the guitar and remove the remaining wood
seven.jpg

eight.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iamgoat
Metal God

Postby iamgoat » 09 Mar 2019, 16:37

Cool ja! :interessant:
:grimb:
Olden Polynice
Ancient One

Postby Olden Polynice » 13 Mar 2019, 05:49

:xx:
User