I really want to pick up bass again...

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
vO)))id
Metal God

I really want to pick up bass again...

Post by vO)))id »

but I still need a bass first! :/

I was thinking about this one:

Ibanez SR 300 IPT

Bathsalt Zombie
Ancient One

Re: I really want to pick up bass again...

Post by Bathsalt Zombie »

I haven't bought a bass yet. I don't have a bass amp either, so I highly doubt I'll be picking up a bass anytime soon. It's pretty easy to learn once you played guitar however, that's not my concern. I'm just too poor.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I can borrow an amp from a fellating lover who plays bass. But he's a lefty so I can't borrow his bass.

I had been playing bass for many years next to guitar, but always playing on other people's instruments. :grin:
Bathsalt Zombie
Ancient One

I want to learn how to play with just my fingers and no pick. I think it brings out a more distinct sound.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"]but I still need a bass first! :/

I was thinking about this one:

Ibanez SR 300 IPT

Image[/quote]

i'd like one of those. good metal bass me thinks.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="Aaron himself"]I want to learn how to play with just my fingers and no pick. I think it brings out a more distinct sound.[/quote]

aye, whenever i play bass i play with my fingers... it just sounds nice and plays nice. Ofc using a pick gets you a different kind of sound, so it's about what one would be looking for...
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

Void, in your shoes I would pick-up 5 string and keep the lowest in B. Or change by whatever you tune in.
:xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

aye, a 5 string was a good idea...

:jizz:
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

Aye, that Spector bass is gorgeous. My fellating lover also has that Ibanez 5-string, and it's almost as nice. Waaaaaay better for the price.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
Bathsalt Zombie
Ancient One

fuck that, six string basses all the way.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

My old bass player has one of those too. It's pretty nifty. If I had one, I've gotta admit I'd cheat and tune it like a baritone guitar (minus an octave)...B E A D F# B.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"]aye, a 5 string was a good idea...

:jizz:[/quote]

those are sweets
Charles Bronson
God of Emptiness

Post by Charles Bronson »

You know, I've been wanting to get back into bass. I sort of enjoyed bass, but sold my TB 5 because the neck was bad, and metal doesn't seem to have good bass aside from Atheist and a few others.

If I could find something with a nice neck, and music that interests me for bass...
Mortuary Riot

Post by Mortuary Riot »

I fucking love bass but I can't be arsed to pick the fucker up again. I want to practice more 8 finger tapping it looks like fun. In a sick demented I will never learn it kind of way.
cat hallucination
Ancient One

Post by cat hallucination »

yah bass is cool, in fifth grade i had an affinity for bass, so i played the trombone for school. i'd like to get back into that. i can certainly see myself playing trombone in a jazz band when i'm an old man much more than rock guitar in a rude drunken night club.
[quote name="zim"]Treys solo tone actually sounds a bit thin to me on Domination. It's definitely got a wah sound to it, even if he's not moving it with food it sounds like he has it turned on.[/quote]
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

[quote name="Uber Grim Kvlt"]You know, I've been wanting to get back into bass. I sort of enjoyed bass, but sold my TB 5 because the neck was bad, and metal doesn't seem to have good bass aside from Atheist and a few others.

If I could find something with a nice neck, and music that interests me for bass...[/quote]

hrm...

blotted science

cannibal corpse

cynic

sadus

death

testament

quo vadis

control denied

(etcetcetc for steve digiorgio)

pestilence

obscura

black sabbath

heaven and hell

code

cryptopsy

I could go on for days and days...
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

cynic, exivious, opeth, ihsahn :santa:
Mortuary Riot

Post by Mortuary Riot »

Origin.

Arguably , Brain Drill.
Charles Bronson
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"]
[quote name="Uber Grim Kvlt"]You know, I've been wanting to get back into bass. I sort of enjoyed bass, but sold my TB 5 because the neck was bad, and metal doesn't seem to have good bass aside from Atheist and a few others.

If I could find something with a nice neck, and music that interests me for bass...[/quote]

hrm...

blotted science

cannibal corpse

cynic

sadus

death

testament

quo vadis

control denied

pestilence

obscura

black sabbath

heaven and hell

code

cryptopsy

I could go on for days and days...[/quote]Nothing AMAZING though. All just minor parts from what I have heard. I guess I'm just meant to be a guitarist.
Spirit Crusher
Neophyte

Post by Spirit Crusher »

What do you expect? The bass overpowering everything? After all, metal is still mostly guitardriven music...a good bassist (or every musician for that matter)plays what benefits the song most
Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs
Metal God

Post by Inverted Crosses And Gorebongs »

I love my cheapy $100.00 no name bass. It serves its purpose quite well. I've been messing around some with guitar but I think bass is where my heart belongs. I played drums for a long time which means I have a fairly good sense of rhythm.

[quote name="Spirit Crusher"]a good bassist (or every musician for that matter)plays what benefits the song most[/quote]

And this.

ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

there was a period in which I was wondering to play bass, but i sarded soon

guitar >>>>>> all

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]there was a period in which I was wondering to play bass, but i sarded soon

guitar >>>>>> all[/quote]

I'm glad you like it so much AOD :xx: rock on! :greenie:
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Uber Grim Kvlt"]

hrm...

blotted science

cannibal corpse

cynic

sadus

death

testament

quo vadis

control denied

pestilence

obscura

black sabbath

heaven and hell

code

cryptopsy

I could go on for days and days...[/quote]Nothing AMAZING though. All just minor parts from what I have heard. I guess I'm just meant to be a guitarist.[/quote]

well for one, you just keep showing your retardation...webster writes most of the cc material now-a-days, and obviously he's coming up with everything on bass first and foremost. I believe he also wrote or co-wrote like half of the blotted science record too. cynic, malone was actually a session hard-on bearer who happened to be around the studio at the time of the recording of "focus" and iirc he came up with a majority of the basslines in like 3 or 4 days cos they needed to get the record done. not to mention steve harris, who writes a heavy majority (I think in maiden's entire catalogue he only doesn't have writing credits on like 10 songs) of the material - is also the bass player, writing all guitar parts on his acoustic bass.

sadus, death, etc - steve digiorgio is a beast and his fretless ALWAYS stands out in the mix. shit, every death album from human until tsop had basslines that digiorgio wrote or co-wrote (even if he didn't play on anything other than human and itp.) control denied was basically tsop pt2 - and it shows, as steve is showing off all over the place there. sadus is his band so he had control of his basslines. quo vadis' "defiant imagination" (and scariot's "momentum shift", for that matter) have him extremely high in the mix, basically controlling everything with his fretless. the testament record wasn't mixed too well, the bass is basically buried - but any live performance with digiorgio is full of bass win.

I could go absolutely on and on for days but you're already shown, time and time again, how basically retarded you are. bass isn't primarily designed to be a lead instrument, not in a metal context anyway. obviously the majority is going to be "minor parts" you dolt, cos bass is supposed to hold the low-end and connect the rhythm guitars with the drums and be that bridge. ofc there's exceptions (like webster or digiorgio etc etc) but the majority, you won't find them playing much more than roots and some fills. obviously you can make your own path as a metal bassist but most of them, especially nowadays, just sit in the back and be in the pocket and hold down the groove with the drums. you want to sit there and play random notes, out of time and off beat, then be a guitar player and practice sweeps all day. you want to be an essential hard-on bearer in the band, be the bass player. shitty guitarists are a dime-a-dozen. extremely good bass players who know their role in the band and can adapt to any situation, only come every once in a while.
Charles Bronson
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Spirit Crusher"]What do you expect? The bass overpowering everything? After all, metal is still mostly guitardriven music...a good bassist (or every musician for that matter)plays what benefits the song most[/quote]I guess I expected the instrument to be different that what it is.

well for one, you just keep showing your retardation...webster writes most of the cc material now-a-days, and obviously he's coming up with everything on bass first and foremost. I believe he also wrote or co-wrote like half of the blotted science record too. cynic, malone was actually a session hard-on bearer who happened to be around the studio at the time of the recording of "focus" and iirc he came up with a majority of the basslines in like 3 or 4 days cos they needed to get the record done. not to mention steve harris, who writes a heavy majority (I think in maiden's entire catalogue he only doesn't have writing credits on like 10 songs) of the material - is also the bass player, writing all guitar parts on his acoustic bass.

sadus, death, etc - steve digiorgio is a beast and his fretless ALWAYS stands out in the mix. shit, every death album from human until tsop had basslines that digiorgio wrote or co-wrote (even if he didn't play on anything other than human and itp.) control denied was basically tsop pt2 - and it shows, as steve is showing off all over the place there. sadus is his band so he had control of his basslines. quo vadis' "defiant imagination" (and scariot's "momentum shift", for that matter) have him extremely high in the mix, basically controlling everything with his fretless. the testament record wasn't mixed too well, the bass is basically buried - but any live performance with digiorgio is full of bass win.

I could go absolutely on and on for days but you're already shown, time and time again, how basically retarded you are. bass isn't primarily designed to be a lead instrument, not in a metal context anyway. obviously the majority is going to be "minor parts" you dolt, cos bass is supposed to hold the low-end and connect the rhythm guitars with the drums and be that bridge. ofc there's exceptions (like webster or digiorgio etc etc) but the majority, you won't find them playing much more than roots and some fills. obviously you can make your own path as a metal bassist but most of them, especially nowadays, just sit in the back and be in the pocket and hold down the groove with the drums. you want to sit there and play random notes, out of time and off beat, then be a guitar player and practice sweeps all day. you want to be an essential hard-on bearer in the band, be the bass player. shitty guitarists are a dime-a-dozen. extremely good bass players who know their role in the band and can adapt to any situation, only come every once in a while.[/quote]

Then I guess I don't like bass guitar, but bass as a function.

I like what the bass players in Shrum did. That's the kind of bass I like. Thunderous, full of presence. Truly a "bass" guitar. ie a guitar that plays in the bass range.

The bass in metal is meh. I don't like the sound of the bass in just about all metal. One of the reasons I quit bass. I just don't like the sound of bass. It works in certain parts, but again, I guess I just expect something else of the instrument.

When I listen to Death I only hear the bass at a few times, or when I really try to hear it. It's over powered by the guitars.

I guess its role in music is what people say, an enhancer, rather than a legitimate instrument.

If I could get a shrum type sound, that would be cool, but I guess I just like guitar.

Call me what you wish. Does make you look like an idiot though. I'm tired of the childish internet shenanigans. :grimsanta:
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

then listen to the control denied record, which is death with a singer instead of chuck on vocals. digiorgio is all over the place on that record, as well as on the aforementioned quo vadis and scariot records.
Charles Bronson
God of Emptiness

Yeah I've heard the Quo Vadis album. The bass on that album just isn't my thing.

I can't even listen to the entire Control Denied album. Saddens me the way Chuck decided to take his career.
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

[quote name="Uber Grim Kvlt"]Yeah I've heard the Quo Vadis album. The bass on that album just isn't my thing.

I can't even listen to the entire Control Denied album. Saddens me the way Chuck decided to take his career.[/quote]

tbh the control denied record would have been much better if chuck stuck to just writing music, and let aymar write his own lyrics and melodies. he's an amazing vocalist.