sample of a recording I did of Freezing Moon (tuned to B)

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

sample of a recording I did of Freezing Moon (tuned to B)

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

<!-- m -->https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1186608/FMCut.mp3<!-- m -->

thats a sample clip I did of a cover I'm working on of Freezing Moon, tuned to B.

Drums are Superior Drummer 2 with a slightly modified version of the "Superior Full Kit 5" settings someone on the Andy Sneap forum made.

Bass was my Ibanez GSR200 -> Firebox (no preamp gain) -> AmpegSVX with a SVT4-Pro tone modeled after the settings Alex Webster showed on the "Evisceration Plague" DVD -> "A8x10_57_A107.wav" impulse in one keFIR and "A8x10_4033_A107.wav" impulse in another instance. For the dirty tone during the interlude/solo I used that same setup, with TSS on it (drive/level @ 10, tone @ 0)

Left guitar was my Microfrets Baritone (30" scale tuned to B) -> Firebox (again, no preamp gain) -> TSS (0/10/10) -> Wagner Sharp MkII (6/3/6 B/M/T, Gain @ 10, Preamp @ 5, Master @ 3) -> s-preshigh Awesometime impulse in keFIR

Right guitar was my Microfrets Baritone -> Firebox (no preamp gain) -> TSS (0/10/6.3) -> SoloC on OD Channel (OD @ 5, Contour @ 7.5, Bass @ 7, Mid @ 4, High @ 7, Master @ 9) -> keFIR s-preshigh.

Solo guitar on the right in the second part is Amplitube X-GEAR - Let Me Solo preset with the cabs turned off, keFIR to s-preshigh.

Master has L2 Full Reset setting on it, and it was turned down to -10.1. I believe it peaks at around -9.

I'm aware that the mix pumps and some parts aren't played that tight, but this is basically the first time I've ever had the chance to do a halfway decent recording. I'm just testing how the tones are.
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: sample of a recording I did of Freezing Moon (tuned to B)

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Tyreese BIGGUMS"] AmpegSVX with a SVT4-Pro tone modeled after the settings Alex Webster showed on the "Evisceration Plague" DVD [/quote]

and was that exactly?

Got a screen shot of SVX knobs? i'd like to try the same & see how it sounds.

:santa:

PS: getting file now :santa:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

this sounds fucking cool man!

great guitar tones and bass.

something sounds a little overcompressed for my liking, but this is fucking cool man!!

nice one!

I PM you

:santa:
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

Those are the settings I used.

Those are the settings Webster used, into an older Ampeg SVT-810 cabinet with an SM57 (I believe it was) as well as a condenser. The condenser was to get the attack of the finger picking.

I tried to get the settings as close as they were on Webster's amp, but obviously they'll be off due to the glare from the knobs.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

very clever! :xx:
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

I mean they're the same settings, give or take, but obviously my tone and his tone will be completely different due to playing style, his being a real rig and mine being simulated, the quality of the recording gear there vs. mine, not to mention my $200 Ibanez can't compare to his $2000 Spector.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

+using 2 mics (sm57 dynamic and a condenser mic) infront of the cab, the room in which the amp stands, the analog sound coming into hardware.... everything makes a huge difference.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

In my recording experience, not once has amp modeling sounded any good.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Sounds very good.

[quote name="HbW"]In my recording experience, not once has amp modeling sounded any good.[/quote]

I've never heard impressive recordings with amp modeling boxes either, but I'll be damned if my sound interface with amplitube 2 doesn't sound better than any recording I've ever done with a tube amp + quality palmer di box/speaker simulator. My real amp was practically useless at volumes/for recording, which is all I do, so I sold it.

Micing amps is just way too much of a hassle imo.
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

[quote name="HbW"]In my recording experience, not once has amp modeling sounded any good.[/quote]

andy sneap forum tests will prove you wrong. setup the correct way, amp modelers + impulses sound VERY close to the real amp thats being modeled. for example, the two modelers I used for the rhythms are simulating a dual rec (left) and a soldano slo100 (right). iirc the lead guitar preset was modeling a dual rec too but I honestly don't remember and don't feel like opening reaper.

I'm probably going to finish this up tonight or tomorrow (on my day off from work) because I have 3 other projects lined up that need to be done relatively soon.

that solo was horribly sloppy btw, especially the runs at the beginning and the end. I can never nail those runs, aggravates the shit out of me.

the mix is smashed to shit too, I need to completely redo the L2 settings that i have on it.
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

I didn't say amp modeling can't sound good. Just that I can't make them sound good. I'm definitely not Andy Sneap, and if anyone can make it work, he's it.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

[quote name="HbW"]I didn't say amp modeling can't sound good. Just that I can't make them sound good. I'm definitely not Andy Sneap, and if anyone can make it work, he's it.[/quote]

go onto the andy sneap forum @ ultimate-metal.com...there's a whole shitload of guys on there who'd be willing to help you out with amp modeling. I mean, they've done tests comparing a 5150 to an amp sim (such as a 6505 in revalver mkiii, or a free amp sim) and they've come REALLY close. the only things that give it away are the fact that it does have a more djent-ish digital tone to it and maybe more fizz, but otherwise they sound extremely good.

I personally am just starting out on messing with amp sims so there you go.