Pickup Wiring

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Haunty
Metal God

Pickup Wiring

Post by Haunty »

The volume pot on one of my guitars seems to be shitting out, because I'm getting little or no signal from the bridge humbucker. I sard getting a new one, and I'd like to wire the pickups directly to the output jack. I have no clue what I'm doing, so is there anyone who can kinda walk me through this?

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)
shubniggurath

Re: Pickup Wiring

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="HbW"]The volume pot on one of my guitars seems to be shitting out, because I'm getting little or no signal from the bridge humbucker. I sard getting a new one, and I'd like to wire the pickups directly to the output jack. I have no clue what I'm doing, so is there anyone who can kinda walk me through this?[/quote]

You won't be connecting the pickups to the jack; you'll be connecting the switch to the jack.

Pickups->switch->volume pot->output jack

Just to clarify--passive pickups, right?

This all assumes no tone pot, btw. If you have one, I would take it off. If you have one and are absolutely dying to keep it, let me know and I will revise.

You're going to have two wires from the switch to the volume pot. One is signal, one is ground. Identify which wire is which, but more importantly, which terminal on the switch carries the signal (hot) and which is ground. Easiest thing is to identify ground first; if you look at the volume pot, you'll see some point connected to the case of the pot. That is ground. So whatever point on the switch eventually connects to that is ground. And you know the other wire is hot, so now you know where both connect to.

Now you need to identify what points on the output jack are hot and which is ground. Same logic as above, find ground first. The terminal on the jack corresponding to the TIP is going to be hot, and the SLEEVE is going to be ground.

Now you can remove the volume pot. Then connect the hot point on the switch to the hot point on the jack. Then ground to ground. That's it.

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

I think he wants to do similar connection that the Nile guitarists are using. That be no switches, tone or volume controls on guitar. Just direct wiring to output jack.
:xx:
shubniggurath

Post by shubniggurath »

[quote name="Mr. P"]I think he wants to do similar connection that the Nile guitarists are using. That be no switches, tone or volume controls on guitar. Just direct wiring to output jack.[/quote]

Sure, but he said "pickups" which to me implies a switch. Unless you want them both on all the time, which isn't usually good for rhythm playing. I think the Nile guys just have a bridge humbucker.

<!-- m -->http://www.hypgnostic.com<!-- m -->
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="slimegod"]
[quote name="Mr. P"]I think he wants to do similar connection that the Nile guitarists are using. That be no switches, tone or volume controls on guitar. Just direct wiring to output jack.[/quote]

Sure, but he said "pickups" which to me implies a switch. Unless you want them both on all the time, which isn't usually good for rhythm playing. I think the Nile guys just have a bridge humbucker.[/quote]

Aye, I give you that :redneck:
:xx:
Haunty
Metal God

Post by Haunty »

so yeah, i finally got around to looking into this, and without hesitation, I chopped everything out. volume pots (2), tone knob, switch. so now I have the wires hanging around. I'm going to pull out the ultra-cheap duncan-designed neck pickup, so I'm just going to have the bridge pickup wired to the jack.

help me through this.

i know i've probably fucked it already, but it was non-functional to begin with. i realize after getting it all out that the hot wire from the bridge had come loose from the volume pot, but i'd rather have all of schecter's cheap electronics out of the guitar for good.

Need a new signature? Why not Zoidberg? (V) (;,,;) (V)