"Children of Ashes," a track I worked on

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

"Children of Ashes," a track I worked on

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

<!-- m -->http://www.myspace.com/beyondmindnz<!-- m -->

This is a black metal project, in the vein of Shining/Silencer/Bethlehem etc - more on the depressive/suicidal/drone spectrum than anything else. Guitar player and primary songwriter posted on the metal-archives board about getting a cheap bass to record a demo and I offered to play bass for him. He's the main songwriter, I'm just coming up with a lot of my bass parts and I'm doing a lot of the drum programming, and then he's changing ideas or what have you as he sees fit and he sends the file back. I also handled the mixing for this particular track and probably will in the future as well.

The biggest problem with this track was getting the guitars to sit in the mix with everything else, because he bounced it with Podfarm on and I wanted to see if I could salvage it without having to make him track it again. I feel like I accomplished this, as well as making it sound like two takes (right channel is +6ms to try to simulate this).

Drums were SD2, EQ'd to fit (snare was gog'd with a sample I got off the sneap forum). Bass was a fretless going into a TS plugin, into AmpegSVX with my custom Alex Webster preset (modified a bit so the mids and highs were a bit smoother.) Then it went to two different impulses - one of an Ampeg 8x10 cab with a 57, the other with a 4033.

Vocals were one performance split to three tracks: 20% left @ -8dB with a reverb, delay, DeEsser, limiter slamming it - center @ -2dB with only DeEsser and a limiter - 20% right @ -8dB with a reverb, delay, DeEsser, limiter (reverb and delay had very slight changes, ie I think I changed the delay by 1ms)

I'm really happy with this mix, as it's basically my first mixing job ever and I pretty much did it all by ear (with a couple of EQ tips later on from the metal-archives and the Sneap boards). Any comments?