Anyone here use analog delay?

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Lavabug
Metal God

Anyone here use analog delay?

Post by Lavabug »

Seems like boss, line 6, digitech and so on pedals are the standard for delay(all digital), I've rarely come across metal players that use analog delay. Does anyone here use any analog delays for playing solos instead of digital? Do they distort/sound weird with a lot of gain? All the analog delays I've heard sound great for clean/crunch slap back stuff but I've yet to hear one being used for shreddy stuff.

I've been thinking of getting a delay pedal again whenever I decide to grab an amp. I sold my boss dd-3 for stupid cheap and now I'd feel dumb buying the same one again for twice as much, so I figured I'd try something like:

<!-- m -->http://www.thomann.de/es/artec_analog_delay_seadl.htm<!-- m -->

or this:

<!-- m -->http://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_vm1_ ... achine.htm<!-- m -->

Which is essentially a EH Memory Man copy, with true bypass.

The line 6 dl4 and TC Electronic Nova Delay have both digital and analog modes(and are programmable), they're a bit expensive though. Maybe I should just get a used Boss pedal again?
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: Anyone here use analog delay?

Post by FUKKET »

yep I do.

Dan Electro

Tape echo

you can hear it here:

[youtube]nPOlpjDPLks[/youtube]

used a couple of times in this song, but real obvious one is at 1'34" + the end after the song finishes (setting it up for another song)

And one where I do some real weird shit with it:

[youtube]A8LCYwS0E-w[/youtube]

it's the feedback & tones changes (you can see me turning knobs)
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

Oh, yeah - that's not metal, but when I do play metal (live only, not studio [studio = digi plugins etc]) I have used that analog pedal for solo delay. Works really well, as long as I mix it below middle.

Really looking to play full time in a metal thing... but just too busy with everything else....
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote name="FUKKET"]Oh, yeah - that's not metal, but when I do play metal (live only, not studio [studio = digi plugins etc]) I have used that analog pedal for solo delay. Works really well, as long as I mix it below middle.

Really looking to play full time in a metal thing... but just too busy with everything else....[/quote]

Yeh thanks for the clips. I'm mainly interested in how it sounds for screaming, long delays, epic solos and stuff. With analog delays every repeat loses treble, which sounds cool with cleans but I've never heard it being used for hot leads.
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

I use a dod 680 from the 70´s for my e-bow stuff.

FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]I use a dod 680 from the 70´s for my e-bow stuff.

Image[/quote]

:xx:
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="Lavabug"] epic solos[/quote]

:lol:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Ritchie Blackmore used the ultimate true analog delay in Deep Purple and Rainbow: an Akai reel-to-reel tape deck! He put it in the record mode and left the monitor switch in the INPUT position so the signal passed through to his amps (and provided a bit of boost, too), then when he wanted a delay, he (or his tech) flipped the monitor switch to the TAPE position and got a perfect 750 ms delay!
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

you say that like its a strange phenomenon?

its called tape echo and a lots of artists uses/use it. the space echo is a good example of one . i have the stomp version of that. Pink floyd use a bicorech I think the name was much
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]you say that like its a strange phenomenon?

its called tape echo and a lots of artists uses/use it. the space echo is a good example of one . i have the stomp version of that. Pink floyd use a bicorech I think the name was much[/quote]

I'm well aware of them. Those other companies tried to duplicate the effect of an actual reel-reel tape recorder; the latter gives a more natural sound in my opinion.
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.