fancy guitar picks

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
neckred
Ancient One

fancy guitar picks

Post by neckred »

ever try any fancy hand made guitar picks?

I recently got a sampler from Gravity Picks, and I really dig them, they're not exactly expensive, but they're not cheap when compared to other pick prices.

however I've used one of these picks for hours upon hours so far, and there's virtually no noticeable wear

any other pick I've used would be totally warn down by now, really I could have warn down several picks in the time I've been using said

but it goes beyond durability, the tone is sweet, it sounds like I'm fingerpicking, but with the precision of a guitar pick

the only other pick I've used that comes close is the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III picks, but those wear down even faster than the nylon ones

I know some will say picks don't matter, because we all here slather so much distortion on our sound that the actual core tone cannot be heard, this could not be more false for me
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: fancy guitar picks

Post by jawn galliano »

i lose my picks too quickly to ever have to worry about wearing them out :homework:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

:redneck: I've always been good at holding onto mine, my stache has like a pick radar
ImageImageImageImage
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

the only exception was hanging onto the first pick i got from trey for a ridiculously long time. and i used it constantly too, i think it's just a combination of using light gauge strings and i just don't play hard enough to wear the thicker ones down. i definitely still had it when i moved into my current apartment a year and a half ago although god knows where it's gone now. i think i got that pick in 2001 :alien:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Dudley"]i lose my picks too quickly to ever have to worry about wearing them out :homework:[/quote]

when i sit picks down i feel as if they land in another dimension :alien:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

[quote name="Dudley"]the only exception was hanging onto the first pick i got from trey for a ridiculously long time. and i used it constantly too, i think it's just a combination of using light gauge strings and i just don't play hard enough to wear the thicker ones down. i definitely still had it when i moved into my current apartment a year and a half ago although god knows where it's gone now. i think i got that pick in 2001 :alien:[/quote]

I know what you mean, I have a pick from Trey and Karl, never going to lose those

if you are interested in the tonal properties of your picks, those gravity ones are worth a whirl, they're hand made of this special acrylic, they kinda stick to your fingers too but still manage to glide off the strings

they're $5, sounds like a lot for a pick, but considering the longevity and tone, it's worth it, plus duder will send you samples free, they come in their own reusable bag, tis how I keep track of them :idea::::

the cool thing is, even the 1.1mm picks don't flex, and that point that new jazz picks have? that remains on the pick much longer

many shapes, sizes, tips, etc to choose from

I never thought a pick would make much of a difference in tone and feel, suppose I was wrong
ImageImageImageImage