i have an audition next week

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

i have an audition next week

Post by jawn galliano »

so, in order to graduate next semester, i just need to complete ten more credits. i have the option of either taking four full classes for 12 credits, or three normal classes and a one-credit something-or-other. i discovered that i can take a 30-minute lesson per week for a credit in applied music, but apparently the head of the music department has to give approval for me to be able to actually register for the class.

as far as i can tell, they'll just have me come in and i get to play some song(s) of my choosing for them. i can't decide what i want to play, i'm thinking of going with MF's evil just because i have that memorized pretty thoroughly, but i'm open to suggestions. what's a good tune to play to like, totally blow some minds and impress upon these people that it is imperative that i get into this class
deckard
Metal God

Re: i have an audition next week

Post by deckard »

fuck yeah rush!
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i actually don't know how to play any rush songs :redneck: i don't know why but it's just something i've never thought to learn before. if i can figure out all of 2112 before my audition, i'll have that shit in the bag!
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

Just learn any of them, it will be impressive.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I appreciate it the Rush and acknowledge their win but never, ever actually feel like listening.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

id say every album has at least 2 great songs on.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i've changed my mind on this like fifty million times. i was dead-set on doing something from minibosses for like a day, but now i'm leaning towards something from herr rhoads. except i don't know remember how to play any of that anymore :homework:

in other news, i got my RG570 back from the shop yesterday. i had to get the treble-side trem post hole drilled out and fitted with a plug to get the action corrected. after giving it a thorough cleaning (holy fuck that was the grimiest fretboard i've ever laid eyes on -- i'm seriously ashamed that i've been playing as long as i have and just bought my first bottle of lemon oil yesterday) and setting it up, the thing plays as well as it did when i first bought it like 13 years ago. i'm super fucking psyched about that :xx:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

that's actually the one i zeroed in on. i learned a pretty good chunk of it, but i'm not sure i'll have the time to practice it enough to become fluent to the point where i can just autopilot my way through it :homework:

mostly though i'm just bugged by the fact that no matter what i play, it's going to sound weird without any of the other parts present to back it up.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

it's go time :ba: i've decided to stick with mercyful fate, 'cuz i can play that shit in my sleep by now. indeed, i'm pretty much at the point where i don't want to play it anymore i've practiced it so much :redneck:
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i did it, the shred :xx: i had to rent an amp for the audition though, 'cuz fuck lugging my barely-functioning piece of shit 2x12 across town. the store i go to didn't have anything smaller than what i've got, so i wound up playing through a little bass amp :redneck:

i completely blanked on one little transitional measure, but other than that i killed it. it's not official yet, but the ladyperson i played for pretty much told me i'm in. i should hear back within a couple of weeks :greenie: