different sort of strings thread

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
neckred
Ancient One

different sort of strings thread

Post by neckred »

this is not about brands, but about material and type of winding!

I've been using pure nickel round wound strings for a few years now, and I'm thankful I don't have the nickel allergy, because I love the softness, bendability, but still good tuning retention and overall nice tension.

produce a nice and warm, but cutting tone too. typically these are strings used by blues guys, and while I do use them for that, they kick ass for everything

which strings do you typically use?
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Re: different sort of strings thread

Post by neckred »

I think those are nickel plated

next time you grab some, you should check out the ones that say Rock n Roll if you like EB strings, they have a pure nickel wrap, who knows, may be your vibe, they should be extra slinky, but still have good tension
ImageImageImageImage
shadowalk
Metal God

Re: different sort of strings thread

Post by shadowalk »

Jumped from Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys 10-46 to Elixir Polywebs 10-46 and never looked back. They are coated strings but I didin't pay much attention to detail and all I know is, I'll never used them Ernie Balls again.

Thinking of trying a lower gauge next time, probably 9-42 since I use a 25.5 scale Ibanez RG tuned to Eb. I'm assuming said action may require a new setup...probably even a truss rod adjustment (I hope not).