neckred, school me on that fuzzy fuzz

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Zim(a)

neckred, school me on that fuzzy fuzz

Post by zim »

i don't know anything about fuzz. i've always had this thought that it was weaker than distortion and that i should avoid using it for playing metal.

how popular is the fuzz?
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
neckred
Ancient One

Re: neckred, school me on that fuzzy fuzz

Post by neckred »

there are many different sorts of fuzz out there, you can get some that will clean up with the guitar volume knob ala Hendrix, or ones that don't clean up worth anything

essentially, nearly all the mass produced fuzz pedals are crap, with exception to the blue Dunlop Fuzz Face and the MXR Classic 108 fuzz, and there really aren't many fuzz pedals to chose from at your typical box store like Guitar Center

that said, there are tons and tons of different fuzz boxes out there, and some can run very high on the price scale, however you can find certain builders who can get you a killer fuzz for close to what Boss, Dunlop, and EHX pedals cost (around $100-150)

in the professional musician community though, several use fuzz, this includes but is not limited to Baroness, Kyuss, some grind bands, just about all the acid rock bands from back in the day (Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc etc), some black metal bands, the list is rather extensive

but yea man, to answer your question you can play metal with a fuzz, you can play technical precise stuff, sludge, whatever you want

fuzz can be much more intense than any distortion, it can be tight, loose, whatever you like you'll find a fuzz that'll do the trick, in essence actually distortion is a fuzz, it's just more compressed and less dynamic which caters towards shredders. however a very good guitar player can shred with a low gain germanium fuzz face

all in all it's a preference issue, it is easier to make distortion sound good, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's "better". with many fuzz pedals one must really hone their picking dynamic skills, because picking hard and softer will actually make a difference

really though, the people who will outright say fuzz sucks without even trying a good one are just plain insane, imagine if when you got your first guitar, say it was a squire, how silly it would be to write off guitars as crap because you bought a shit one. those people don't understand that even if they use a tube amp for their distortion, they're essentially using a grit box whether they like it or not. given that most dudes playing in their bedroom can't crank their amp, and all the grit is coming from the preamp tubes. as well, distortion didn't come in amps like it does now for most of the history of the electric guitar. many of the classic sounds we all love came from a fuzz pedal into a single channel tube amp.

my post is very disjointed, and I'm sure I repeated stuff, but I wasn't 100% sure exactly what you were asking, hopefully you've found the information you seek

in short: yes fuzz can be tight as a virgin, and can palm mute with the best of em
ImageImageImageImage
zim
Zim(a)

Re: neckred, school me on that fuzzy fuzz

Post by zim »

thanks for the info, i really enjoyed reading that. i will most definitely try out some different fuzz pedals in the future :bang:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless