musicians using pieces of others work

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Zim(a)

musicians using pieces of others work

Post by zim »

is this a bad thing?

i can only think of one example off hand:

<!-- m -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2inU#t=88s<!-- m --> - you can hear an obvious inspiration/direct piece from Paul McCartney- Band on the

MM has done things like this before but i'm just using him as an example. i guess it could be viewed as a rip off sort of thing to do, i kind of like to think of it as an homage. anyone know any other songs that do this?
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: musicians using pieces of others work

Post by jawn galliano »

the intro to diary of a madman was taken from an etude by leo brouwer. the original is played a bit differently, but the pattern rhoads used on that track at the beginning was almost a note-for-note copy.

[youtube]WiEJOzAVAXc[/youtube]

[youtube]__FK9DVUpEE[/youtube]

totally acceptable :santa:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

Patton does it blatantly.

He also talks about it in one of the Arcana books, his chapter is all about all composers steal.

I'll try & find it - "Ars Moriendi" the crazy gypsy bit is a rip-off of a Balkan gypsy tune, but i forget the name to be able to show you.

Trey has also done it in SC3 with some Indian music - stealing the riffs.

Devin also mentions it a lot in CD notes - like, "this song is based on a riff that I stole from some busker in a park"
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="FUKKET"]

I'll try & find it - "Ars Moriendi" the crazy gypsy bit is a rip-off of a Balkan gypsy tune, but i forget the name to be able to show you.[/quote]

it was something by "Taraf de Haidouks" but I can't find the exact track.

If you youtube search "Taraf de Haidouks" you'll get stuff that's similar, but not the exact one he ripped off.