the worst/stupidest things....

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
neckred
Ancient One

the worst/stupidest things....

Post by neckred »

lets discuss the worst things a guitarist or learning guitarist can do

try to emulate other guitarists.

getting the same guitar, amp, effects, whatever as your "heroes"

it's not going to make you sound like them.

for metal fans that are guitarists, the worst thing you can do is focus only on metal. how do you expect to get any better if you always play the same sort of shit over and over?

you can always tell someone only plays metal, if they say "tone knob? keep it on 10!"

as well, most metal guitarists love to keep their guitar volume on 10 at all times, more like an on/off switch for them. if the volume wasn't intended to be used on more settings than 0 or 10, it'd just be an on/off switch.

also silly low action is silly! lots of wanna-be metal guitarists have the action so low, that if they pick any harder than a soft soft attack, they'll cause buzzing
ImageImageImageImage
deckard
Metal God

Re: the worst/stupidest things....

Post by deckard »

this only counts towards total idiots.

i tried to emulate hetfield, worked out alright. I'm a good picker and rhythm player.

for tone, it takes years of experience to understand it depends on more than the setup.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

[quote name="Skinoperable"]
[quote name="neckred"]as well, most metal guitarists love to keep their guitar volume on 10 at all times, more like an on/off switch for them. if the volume wasn't intended to be used on more settings than 0 or 10, it'd just be an on/off switch.[/quote]

i know a duder who did this exact thing for this exact reason :redneck:

he changed out his volume/tone knobs for a missile switch[/quote]

hey, if that's all one uses a volume knob for, not a bad idea :redneck:

I have a bright guitar, so I need to tweak the tone knob with different amps and junk, and I like to mess with the guitar volume for different sounds
ImageImageImageImage
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

[quote name="toozey"]this only counts towards total idiots.

i tried to emulate hetfield, worked out alright. I'm a good picker and rhythm player.

for tone, it takes years of experience to understand it depends on more than the setup.[/quote]

yup, I tried to be Tr3y for many years :redneck:::::::: you eventually develop your own thing though

and you eventually learn the old saying is true, "tone is in the fingers"

it's one of those things that seems ridiculous when you first start, but a good player can make a squire strat into a 5 watt crate practice amp sound good
ImageImageImageImage
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="neckred"]yup, I tried to be Tr3y for many years :redneck:::::::: you eventually develop your own thing though[/quote]

i think wanting to be another guitarist is a really difficult thing to overcome, especially for young players. to even develop your own style is a goal a lot of people don't reach.

one thing that has always stood to me was something Muhammed from Necrophagist said, (please hold the hate) he stated that he wouldn't release a tab book because he wanted people to develop their own style and not to spend all their time learning an entire bands catalog. i was angry when he first said that but i feel like i can identify more with it now. i rarely play other bands material nowadays.

i also think most of the ignorance comes from lack of any kind of mentoring or wisdom, tips, advice, whatever. to me playing guitar has always felt like a massive adventure without a map. when you reach a certain age i think any guitarist should step back fully evaluate their playing.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless