Alternate Picking

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
zim
Zim(a)

Alternate Picking

Post by zim »

As I've been playing guitar shit-load more lately I've noticed that I play nearly everything with alternate picking, strickly up-down-up-down, etc. If I start to pay close attention to my picking as I'm playing I start to become sloppy though, anticipating which string I'll land on with which stroke.

Anywho, found this kind of interesting. I've always enjoyed alternative picking everything.

Anyone use any different, interesting picking techniques? I've not really taken the time to explore other areas like circular picking or whatever the hell economic picking is supposed to be.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Re: Alternate Picking

Post by jawn galliano »

i've been playing for like 15 years and had no idea what economy picking was until a few months ago when devy mentioned it in a facebook post. alt-picking 4 lyfe y'all
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i've known about economy picking for years but never looking into it

and i've also heard of frank zappa using the circular technique but again, never looked into it

:sard:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

I alternate pick everything except some stuff which sounds better with downstrokes only.
Hallucinating dead
Ancient One

Post by Hallucinating dead »

downstrokes i use for thrashy riffs...
..For the freedoms and prisons are in the mind..
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Metallica was the band that made me pick up a guitar so I'm pretty much used to downpicking and this 'down-down/up/down-down' thing (not really good with the terms but I think this is the galloping thing) that I've sort of picked up on my own but I'm far from being an expert. I'm still really slow on the alternate picking thing although I am working my way there. I mostly have to work on stamina and it's hard cause I usually sard the whole starting-slow-and-working-your-way-up-to-speed thing. :redneck:

I found that by just sitting down and endlessly alternate picking the entire A minor pentatonic scale in a slow tempo while on the herb really helps your alternate picking. :rasta: :brushteeth: