pick assistance please

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
FUKKET
Metal God

pick assistance please

Post by FUKKET »

As you guys know I'm a bassist

I've started playing with a pick in Serious Beak. The guitarists asked me to try it for one gig and it did sound much better for the genre and the band's vibe, so I'm going with it.

I've always been a finger player, but did tinker with a pick for a few songs with Slimey Things, but nothing like what's required in Beak.

So just wondering if any of you bassist & guitarist pals have some advice for picking exercises, advice etc for getting better with stamina etc?

At the moment I'm experimenting with my right hand position, trying to be smooth with string crossing like I am with fingers and but staying in a position so I'm not straining too much...

I've been getting a bit of a sore wrist/forearm too which is a downer

Stuff like heavy down-stoking, some fast runs going from top G down to Low B stings etc.

So any advice, links, sites, vids etc would be great.

This is what happens when a (primarily) funk player finally starts playing in a metal band :redneck:

As you know I do stuff with guitar but that's all home studio stuff, so not intense (stop-start. 3 sec riffs, record etc... ) and also guitar does seem different compared to bass.

thanks guys

:santa:
zim
Zim(a)

Re: pick assistance please

Post by zim »

for guitar, i always found the best stamina exercise was something like - up, down, up down in a 1, 2, 3, 4 pattern up and down the neck, when you hit 4 switch to a new string and start over, 1, 2, 3, 4 - focusing on which stroke you land on. when you hit the last string, shift up one fret and go in reverse - 5, 4, 3, 2, down a string, 5, 4, 3, 2, etc...
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="zim"]for guitar, i always found the best stamina exercise was something like - up, down, up down in a 1, 2, 3, 4 pattern up and down the neck, when you hit 4 switch to a new string and start over, 1, 2, 3, 4 - focusing on which stroke you land on. when you hit the last string, shift up one fret and go in reverse - 5, 4, 3, 2, down a string, 5, 4, 3, 2, etc...[/quote]

thanks, exactly what i've done since i was a kid with fingers :santa:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

up and down

up and down

up and down
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="toozey"]up and down

up and down

up and down[/quote]

:jizz:
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

One of the most important directions ive taken with my picking is to minimise the movement of your arm/hand/wrist and just focusing most of the motion into the fingers holding the pick. A good way to practice this is to find some tricky picking exercises and play them while palm muting. A way to improve this further is to anchor the fingers of your right hand (that arent holding the pick) beneath the highest string of the guitar so the motion is literally confined to the pick-golding fingers. I guess its very similar to blasting using 'flying fingers.' Once you get used to the smaller range of motion, fast/technical picking becomes much easier and WAY less taxing on your right arm.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

danke!

now get in that bitch's arse!

:santa:

:jizz: