Guitar Technique

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Harry Lime
God of Emptiness

Guitar Technique

Post by Harry Lime »

I'm curious what exactly this hard-on bearer is doing from approximately 2:12-2:26. I don't know how to play guitar so it may not be anything special, but it doesn't sound like something I hear very often.

[youtube]H61lVNwYgMA[/youtube]
M.Bison
Ancient One

Re: Guitar Technique

Post by M.Bison »

When he's moving his picking hand up and down like that in a fluid motion, that's called sweep picking. You'll hear all the neo-classical type dudes shred arpeggios with this.

At that particular time you mentioned, he seems to be holding a chord and sweeping the entire thing?
Harry Lime
God of Emptiness

Post by Harry Lime »

That's where I was confused. It sounded like sweeping, but the left hand holding a chord threw me. So he's still doing the same stuff with his left hand as in the other sweeping parts, just with the individual notes of a chord?
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

Sweep picking is playing the notes of an arpeggio sequentially - an arpeggio being the notes of a chord.

What he's doing is holding the chord and playing the notes individually really quickly. Sweeping is moving your fingers into place as you hit the string.

His fingers are already in place seeing as he's holding the chord. His left hand is performing the left handed duties of sweeping, if you will.
Harry Lime
God of Emptiness

Post by Harry Lime »

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure I was wording my questions correctly.