engl e530

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
M.Bison
Ancient One

engl e530

Post by M.Bison »

anybody have one of these? Lavabutt was looking at it many moons ago, but other than that, I haven't heard any other mabbers even mention Engl amps.

My old preamp died and I've been living with a POD2.0, was gonna upgrade to another modeller, but i'm fed up with that digital sound, I'd rather go back to valves.

Very close to purchasing...
Abzu
Postwhore

Re: engl e530

Post by Abzu »

Engl discussions have popped up here and there. Quality stuff.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

well I went ahead and ordered it :sicken:
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

tubes :shake:
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

haha... piddle off man. If I could afford that shit, then I would get.... a KEMPER :greenie:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

I believe one of the Beak blokes uses the head you are referring to.

I dig his sound.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I once played through mein fellating lover's powerball. Holy shit that's some tone. :shock:
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

Picture a Marshall on steroids...and then some!
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

[quote name="shadowalk"]I once played through mein fellating lover's powerball. Holy shit that's some tone. :shock:[/quote]

yeah, serisouly, those things kill
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

:greenie:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

did the box come with an instagram filter?

sorry ..:doubleoldjealous: :oops:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

I wanted to hide my address :redneck:

Just playing around with it, sounds pretty good through my cab, but I can't push it very loud at all atm. Trying it through my interface and headphones soon :xx:
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

I've been messing around trying to record with this thing and I truly fucking suck at getting a good sound :redneck:

I'm trying to achieve something like Gateways to Annihilation, or anything like Behemoth, Lost Soul, modern death metal sound etc

Guitar>Engl>MBOX2>PC>Impulses

e530 set as followed: (this sounded best through my cab and seeing as though the impulses I used were as close as I could get to my poweramp and speakers, I left it)

lead gain 1 o'clock

bass 12 o'clock

lo mid 10 o'clock

hi mid 2 o'clock

treble 3 o'clock

contour off

lead volume 12 o'clock

hi gain on

lead channel

I done 4 tracks, 2 either side panned at 100% and 50%, recording both left at the same time and then both right at the same time.

Added a low and high pass to all tracks. It sounds pretty scooped and shrill, like fucking dying fetus or something.

Should I boost the low end and mids, cut the treble at the preamp stage? (logical) or add in post processing and EQ (polishing the turd).

Any advice? :homework:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

* shines Tom signal *
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="FUKKET"]* shines Tom signal *[/quote]

Yeah get in here already :santa:

[youtube]jSw98O-RQ-M[/youtube]

Excuse the crappy out of time playing and laughable drums, just banged basic patterns in in there for a guide (and something else to suck at).

Now compare that with this:

[youtube]EUW_tpkwwRU[/youtube]

Seriously more power, oopmh, mids and not muddy/shrill. :wall:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="M.Bison"][youtube]EUW_tpkwwRU[/youtube][/quote]

is this you? MOAR!
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

:redneck: :::::::::: no. mine is the shit one above it.
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

it's hard to beat Engl for a muscular, articulate tone. They just sound angry!
I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="Shredlord"]it's hard to beat Engl for a muscular, articulate tone. They just sound angry![/quote]

Shredders, any advice on how to get a better recording tone? It sounds great through my cab, but as you can hear, it seems I can't record for shit.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Use a decent mic and toy with distance. Also, keep the distortion a good notch lower than how you want it to sound.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="Abzu"]Use a decent mic and toy with distance. Also, keep the distortion a good notch lower than how you want it to sound.[/quote]

Good advice on the gain, I will try lowering it a tad, but I've been going DI and using impulses, not mic'ing. I would love to mic, but I can't play loud at home.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="M.Bison"]
[quote name="Abzu"]Use a decent mic and toy with distance. Also, keep the distortion a good notch lower than how you want it to sound.[/quote]

Good advice on the gain, I will try lowering it a tad, but I've been going DI and using impulses, not mic'ing. I would love to mic, but I can't play loud at home.[/quote]

Well, in that case, just fiddle with the settings until it sounds right. :brushteeth:
;,,;
Shredlord
Ancient One

Post by Shredlord »

[quote name="M.Bison"]
[quote name="Shredlord"]it's hard to beat Engl for a muscular, articulate tone. They just sound angry![/quote]

Shredders, any advice on how to get a better recording tone? It sounds great through my cab, but as you can hear, it seems I can't record for shit.[/quote]

If you have two mics, try one up close (almost touching the grill) a little off-center from the cone (move it around until you find the "sweet spot" with lots of presence), then another one maybe 3 feet away to get the sound of the full cabinet. Blend to taste. :grin:

Wait...I just saw your post about not being able to play loud. Even if it's not loud, a mic'd cab is going to sound richer and more organic than a direct signal. I don't have any advice on direct recording.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

Can't mic? Use Recabinet!!! That plug-in saved my ass a bunch of times in the pro world. Fucking love it and it's cheap too.

<!-- m -->http://www.recabi.net/<!-- m -->
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

My guitarist got drunk the other day and ordered one of these, I look forward to touching it.

The guitarist from Vore has two of these with a mesa power amp powering two full stacks and they sound awesome.
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I follow bison's former approach as I use a Line 6 POD XT Live multi-FX plugged into my computer via USB and I plug into the aux in of my old 15w solid state as a speaker.

Although it would be really nice to make some noise on a real tube amp head and cab. Especially that ENGL Powerball whose roar I could just not forget. :eyes: