strangs

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
supa tuna
Ancient One

strangs

Post by supa tuna »

i need some help with strings.

i'm not completely sure what i'm using now (it has been a while since i've bought any)

i play primarily in c and my g never stays in tune and i seem to lose a lot of tension.

any tips?

zim
Zim(a)

Re: strangs

Post by zim »

if you're having tuning problems some info on your guitar might help - what type of bridge, tuners, etc

i tune to C and use ernie ball regular slinky strings - Gauges: 10-13-17-26-36-46
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
supa tuna
Ancient One

Post by supa tuna »

it's this guitar

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/samic ... 1013598605

it's kind of shit but i've had it since i was 16.

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

your tunings problems are because of that guitar
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

bring your guitar to a luthier and have it setup
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Dwarf Recycling Center"]
[quote name="zim"]if you're having tuning problems some info on your guitar might help - what type of bridge, tuners, etc

i tune to C and use ernie ball regular slinky strings - Gauges: 10-13-17-26-36-46[/quote]

really? it seems like your strings would be flopping all over the place with 10s. every try 11s?[/quote]

it's not bad at all - i switched to 10s from 9s in late 2011 and only started tuning to C recently. i haven't tried 11s but i want to soon.. (probably over summer when i start recording) :shock:

what is your setup skinno?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

D'Addario sell singles. I get a 6-string pack of d'addario light top heavy bottoms and add in a .066 gauge
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

[quote name="zim"]if you're having tuning problems some info on your guitar might help - what type of bridge, tuners, etc

i tune to C and use ernie ball regular slinky strings - Gauges: 10-13-17-26-36-46[/quote]

jesus christ, i used to tune to C# for years and always used 12-52 and i like a bit of give and spank with my strings :fonz:
Anjel
Ancient One

Post by Anjel »

Holy shit Zim, that must be sloppy as fuck.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

but it's not at all :huh:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

10-46 tuned to C sounds great, any thinner though and they're too floppy

I got into using 10-46 when I got back to using my Ibanez with the Edge trem. The reason being the bridge must be level on a floyd to use the trem and return to your proper tuning. These are the thickest I can use on said and still tune to standard.

for someone who uses multiple different tunings on the same guitar, 10-46 isn't a bad choice. still use the same gauge on my Strat, any thinner sounds dull to me. Jimi used a 38 on the low end, so what do I know? really it's just all in what you dig for how and what you play. otherwise there'd be one string brand and one set gauge.

in support of zim, I say; sloppy isn't in the thickness or looseness of strings, sloppy is in the picking dynamics and fretting ability.

much like I personally don't believe compression is necessary, except maybe in a final mix for an album. proper dynamics, fretting, and guitar setup = no need for compression.
ImageImageImageImage
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

u crazy
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

I am, you are, we are crazy
ImageImageImageImage
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="neckred"]I am, you are, we are crazy[/quote]
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

[quote name="Dwarf Recycling Center"]ideally, the 7-4th strings would be 11s and the 3-1st would be 10s. but then we get into the whole different tensions on the neck problem. it needs a new bridge/saddles anyway.[/quote]

You're talking about your RG7321 yes? Aren't those things built to be abused like that? You may want to consider just bringing it to a luthier or someone who's well-versed in playing around with truss rods before purchasing new stuff.

(my gut instinct tells me 'small time' luthier services such as setup, intonation, truss rod adjustment and the like costs an arm and a leg for some of you western folk...if that's the case, i understand as over here, such services can be availed for just a little bit over USD$14)
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i prefer 9s for my 6 string but i only tune that to standard, if i went as low as C i'd definitely want something a good bit heavier on there, probably 11s.

i just restrung my 7321 recently and iirc those were 10-62 or something like that, and those have been working out pretty well. no idea what was on there previously though :huh:

also skinno did you do anything special with yours, or is everything stock on that? it's honestly been ages since i even plugged mine into anything but i seem to remember the stock pickups being pretty bad. but i might be confusing that with my mockingbird :redneck:
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Skinny, I'd do setup for a small fee if you lived near

the fee of course being gay sex
ImageImageImageImage