weird/fun things you did

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
neckred
Ancient One

weird/fun things you did

Post by neckred »

with a guitar, amp, and/or pedal?

one of my pedals picks up a radio station now and then, only with the guitar volume all the way down. usually a Spanish speaking or some sort of Asian station. it's neat to set a delay to oscillate and use those disembodied voices to create cool synth sounds.

inspired from Tr3y, fan in front of amplifier. creates sort of a ring modulator sound, especially if it's a high speed fan.

of course there's always yelling in your pickup or putting something with a small speaker near by.

post some fun and different stuff you do or have done

if you don't enjoy sort of fun little things like that, you sir are a boring human :fonz:
ImageImageImageImage
zim
Zim(a)

Re: weird/fun things you did

Post by zim »

I've picked up radio signals with my guitar before, weird shit indeed.

My Line 6 amp has some bizarre problem right now where the sound modulates, the bass increases by itself, and becomes increasingly louder. It will also increase the feedback too. If I smack that top of the amp really hard the sound reverts back to normally.

Also, sometimes it will randomly switch on an effect like chorus or flanger. :redneck:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Skincubation"]line 6 :oldryan: :shake:[/quote]

it's a practice amp and has served me well
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

Skinny has it, really you don't even save money with a Line 6 amp

can get a low wattage tube amp for cheap, like this one $99 Epiphone dealie. swap out the tubes and you still spent less than a lot of Line 6 practice amps.

18 watts of tube power is loud, it'll overdrive quickly for a nice blues tone. slam it with an overdrive or boost and you're in metal territory.

the only bad thing about a low wattage tube amp vs a higher wattage one is you'll kill your tubes quicker, since you're cooking them hot every time you use the amp. with a higher wattage tube amp, your tubes will last a long time if you mostly play at bedroom level. low wattage tube amps don't use many tubes though, so it's not really a big deal.
ImageImageImageImage
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

this one time, at band practice, I put a guitar jack in my anus
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

did it help you find EVH's brown sound?
ImageImageImageImage
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I had a guitar I could pick up radio signals on once. The pickups were also very good for screaming into. (The intro to Dead And Bloated by STP was recorded that way, if I remember the interview correctly.)
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Manji"]I had a guitar I could pick up radio signals on once. [/quote]

I had an old bass that would do that - full-on clear radio station jams coming through it.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Is that bad wiring or reallllly live pick ups? Without knowing any better, I used to assume wiring. I could touch the strings and increase the reception :redneck:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Manji"]Is that bad wiring or reallllly live pick ups? Without knowing any better, I used to assume wiring. I could touch the strings and increase the reception :redneck:[/quote]

that same bass would also pick up drills, saws and chainsaws - even if I couldn't actually hear one in the area.

very odd...

(it was my first bass, about $500, about 20 years ago)
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Pitch shift to stupid amounts, add in an ass ton of reverb and other effects if wanted, play a note and use volume pedal to create ambient noises.
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

Back in the day I recorded a thing where I was using the pull/push knob for my actives to create vibrations through the guitar almost like a heartbeat, but with alternating high/low gain. it was pretty cool.

Also, using the interference of my cell phone while passive/sending a text/calling with shit loads of fuzz. That was cool too.

Why do I get the feeling this thread will instantly be about how shite active pickups are as soon as I post this? Oh well...
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

with cell phones all having youtube lately, one can easily dial up a movie quote or something for a song and place said speaker near the pickup that is selected.
ImageImageImageImage
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

[quote name="Skinoperable"]line 6 :oldryan: :shake:[/quote]

I agree with the amps. But those Line 6 POD multi-fx boards sounded killer when I heard them. I have been considering purchasing a POD HD 500 myself when I get the little Blackstar combo amp that I've been saving up for.