Capacitors

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Capacitors

Post by M.Bison »

Anybody any experience with how these effect your guitars tone? :huh:

Seems to be one of the more obscure mods for a guitar. A while ago, I'm pretty sure I read that 'orange drop' caps sound great in dual humbucker Ibanez RG guitars. I have no idea how this would actually work though, as my understanding of these things is that it is supposed to help with treble bleeding when lowering your volume/tone controls? Is that right? If so, how does it affect the tone when controls are running on full (me 99% of the time)? :huh:

Anyways, I just ordered a Bare Knuckle Aftermath for my RG7620 and I went a head and got new pots and jack, spotted the fancy cap and thought why not, i'll try it.
Lavabug
Metal God

Re: Capacitors

Post by Lavabug »

[quote name="M.Bison"]Anybody any experience with how these effect your guitars tone? :huh:

Seems to be one of the more obscure mods for a guitar. A while ago, I'm pretty sure I read that 'orange drop' caps sound great in dual humbucker Ibanez RG guitars. I have no idea how this would actually work though, as my understanding of these things is that it is supposed to help with treble bleeding when lowering your volume/tone controls? Is that right? If so, how does it affect the tone when controls are running on full (me 99% of the time)? :huh:

Anyways, I just ordered a Bare Knuckle Aftermath for my RG7620 and I went a head and got new pots and jack, spotted the fancy cap and thought why not, i'll try it.[/quote]

Not obscure at all... A pot + cap wired to the ground is what is called a low pass filter, it IS a tone control knob. The more you lower the knob, the higher suppression of treble frequencies. When it's on full tone there is still some treble loss. Guitars with no tone knob sound a little brighter in general. EVH never had a tone knob.

<!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter<!-- m -->
M.Bison
Ancient One

Re: Capacitors

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="Lavabug"]
[quote name="M.Bison"]Anybody any experience with how these effect your guitars tone? :huh:

Anyways, I just ordered a Bare Knuckle Aftermath for my RG7620 and I went a head and got new pots and jack, spotted the fancy cap and thought why not, i'll try it.[/quote]

Not obscure at all... A pot + cap wired to the ground is what is called a low pass filter, it IS a tone control knob. The more you lower the knob, the higher suppression of treble frequencies. When it's on full tone there is still some treble loss. Guitars with no tone knob sound a little brighter in general. EVH never had a tone knob.

<!-- m -->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter<!-- m -->[/quote]

I see. I meant obscure as in, you never really hear of people discussing different caps, at least not as much as pickups or something.

[youtube]rR4maqK_IhQ[/youtube]

This video was pretty helpful.