Help: I think my guitar wasn't set up properly

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Grudge
Metal God

Help: I think my guitar wasn't set up properly

Post by Grudge »

When I strum a string it creates an extra high pitched buzz after the real sound plays out. Do you call that excessive action? What can I do?
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Re: Help: I think my guitar wasn't set up properly

Post by happiness and harmony »

this should be good.
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I am not hundred percent sure. But I don't think it's feedback.
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

I'll try to upload a small audio file here after work
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

is it coming through your amp, or off of the strings?
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

Off the strings.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Fret buzz. Your action is too low.
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

that's one way to put it
Skinfection wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:08
super Jesus people
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

yeah, as shadowalk said, the action could be low, or it could be a bad fret job from the factory. try raising the action a bit to see if it alleviates the buzz, if you're unable to get the buzzing to stop at a comfortable string height, you might want to look into bringing your guitar for a setup and have them check the frets to see if any need to be filed down.

poor fretwork is sadly common with mass-produced guitars. pretty much all of mine needed some extra work in that department.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote="burt sassafrass"]
that's one way to put it
[/quote]
:redneck:
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote="Hitoshura"]
yeah, as shadowalk said, the action could be low, or it could be a bad fret job from the factory. try raising the action a bit to see if it alleviates the buzz, if you're unable to get the buzzing to stop at a comfortable string height, you might want to look into bringing your guitar for a setup and have them check the frets to see if any need to be filed down.

poor fretwork is sadly common with mass-produced guitars. pretty much all of mine needed some extra work in that department.
[/quote]

Thanks Shadow Walk and Hitoshura I will look into this. Does this cost a lot if bring my guitar to a shop for set up?
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

i don't think i've ever paid for a setup, but i think $50-100 is pretty common. i'd expect you'd wind up on the low side since a setup for a fixed bridge guitar is going to be far less labor-intensive than a floyd style setup. find some local shops and call around.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

real men setup their own floyd rose :evil:  ..initially learning how to setup my floyd rose was such a pain in the dick. i can get it done fairly fast now, maybe 15-20 minutes.

ironman, does this happen regardless of where you play on the neck?  does it happen on all frets (open or fretted) and/or strings? you could have what's known as a deadspot. deadspots are usually the result of uneven frets. i've heard that tuning lower or using a capo can "fix" a deadspot, never had issues with it myself.

it could be something simple like a screw somewhere not being tight enough, this video kind of sounds like your issue.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I only know how to set up mine because of Uni. 
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Grudge
Metal God

Post by Grudge »

[quote="zim"]
real men setup their own floyd rose :evil:  ..initially learning how to setup my floyd rose was such a pain in the dick. i can get it done fairly fast now, maybe 15-20 minutes.

ironman, does this happen regardless of where you play on the neck?  does it happen on all frets (open or fretted) and/or strings? you could have what's known as a deadspot. deadspots are usually the result of uneven frets. i've heard that tuning lower or using a capo can "fix" a deadspot, never had issues with it myself.

it could be something simple like a screw somewhere not being tight enough, this video kind of sounds like your issue.

[/quote]

Thanks, I will see if that works.