Any DIY enthusiasts?

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Lavabug
Metal God

Any DIY enthusiasts?

Post by Lavabug »

Anyone here build their own pedals/amps or instruments? I just ordered a bunch of parts to try to build a clone of the EQD acapulco gold stoner fuzz/distortion and other effects, I think my electronics soldering skills are up to par though I'll have to learn how to efficiently set up the arrangement of parts to fit them into a small 1950a enclosure like this:

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/ugly_gu ... e.jpg.html

Soundbyte of the EQD acapulco gold

And I'll also have to learn how to hand-paint enclosures, I have enough parts to make a handful of these so I might even be able to sell them if they turn out fine. :ba:

Starting small, depending on how this goes I'll attempt building progressively more sophisticated effects. I'd love to clone the Boss HM-2 and the Caitlin Effects Sabbra Cadabra, the cost of the parts to make these things is dirt.

My long-term goal is to eventually have enough confidence to build a marshall JCM800 clone from scratch without killing myself or setting my house on fire.
Abzu
Postwhore

Re: Any DIY enthusiasts?

Post by Abzu »

I do want to start building some pedals from kits and work my way up to building my own
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

kits are pretty overpriced IME, you do pay a lot for the convenience of not fetching the parts yourself but I got enough parts to build 2-3 identical pedals for $40 total (another 10 would enable me to build 3 more with the remaining parts)

this is what I'm building, parts count is remarkably low: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... -gold.html

starting with a classic 1W cigarette box amp based on the LM386 is about the cheapest easiest thing to learn with, I did it long before I knew anything about electronics. It worked until I decided to ditch the 9V battery in favor of a 9V DC jack but didn't check the polarity and pop. :redneck:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I'm pretty sure you can buy (and probably find online for free) parts lists and guides. I've seen guides for those little amp projects around :redneck: they look fun

That pedal sounds great
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Yeah that link I posted is one of many repositories of circuit designs, some even confirmed to be exact copies of commercial pedals.

I just went part-by-part on ebay and ordered them all, in some cases just assorted sets of resistors, LED's, jacks, switches, pots and caps since they are so cheap.

I got some mini aluminum enclosures too for about $3/pop.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:fonz: