Two axes coming my way.

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Lavabug
Metal God

Two axes coming my way.

Post by Lavabug »

Found deals on these that I couldn't pass up. I'm done spending money for a while. 90's era NJ ironbird in red, 2000's ironbird pro neck thru with an OFR. I am beyond excited, been looking for these specific models for quite some time and I found them both in the same week. :xx:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Two axes coming my way.

Post by zim »

been thinking about this one for awhile. it would be really fucking nice to have one more guitar so i can pretty much never have to change the tunning on my other guitars

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro627ebemgbk.html
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I had one of the old DXMG's for a while, it was neat. Out of all the jackson/charvels I've played though, nothing's ever been quite as good as my charvel model 5FX.

I had one of rondomusic's 7 strings, the douglas one with a green flame photo top, fixed bridge reverse headstock. Scored it for $110 as a b-stock with a free case. It was a good "toy" to muck around with 7 strings, but honestly it was not all that nice to play and had a bunch of craftsmanship flaws. I actually got wrist/forearm cramps playing it for extended periods. I actually sold it off at a loss (I put in dimarzio blazes and a guitar tech worked on the faulty frets, nut and neck joint) to get the red RG350M you now have zim, which is infinitely better.

While that may not be a reflection on Agile or rondo quality in general, I'd sooner hunt down another ibanez RG 3XX/4XX/5XX/6XXXX series as they're guaranteed to play well. Bare in mind that's a 27" scale baritone. They make a few of those around the same price point.
jawn galliano
Yahtzee Genius

Post by jawn galliano »

sick pickups, lavabug :xx: i would like to get an ironbird at some point, how much do those typically go for?

if i can solve my rapidly accelerating lack-of-space problem, next year might be the year of spending my fun money on gear
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Right now, retarded expensive, there seems to be a drought of good ironbirds, and impatient jackasses like me are driving the prices up. :redneck: Someone on the BCR junkies facebook classifieds have paid $500 for a cheapo green-crackle platinum, and I've seen NJ's go for well over that. Ebay auctions go full retard with outrageous selling prices, a U-series just went for 1.7k (auction by the hard-on bearer in Nails and Terrorizer), when I distinctly remember seeing them for 800 a few years ago.

I initially scored the neckthru because I spotted a hard-on bearer on kijiji selling one and he agreed to ship internationally, I got a decent deal for under 400 without shipping. I've also spotted the same model in black with gray bevels at a samash used bin online for $400 shipped a few weeks ago. This was 2 solid months of scouring ebay, reverb, guitar center/samash used online catalogues. Every now and then you spot someone trying to sell one quick, as I did with the red one (for 450), so I had to get it.

I gutted the red NJ's electronics, cleaned it and shielded the cavities and buffed out all the scratches to the point that it now looks almost new. Just waiting on a jack plate to fully rewire and set this up. I was planning to replace the bridge, but I am told these old NJ bridges are really good. I threw a brass block on it that I had laying around and can't wait to play it.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Udpate, love both of these. Red one's on the bench getting new pickups and pots wired in with some series/parallel switching.

EMG81 in other one sucks ass, they are worse than I remember them. Will get pulled soon for a paf pro.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Red circuitry done, independent push/pull parallel/series and no tone knob in the circuit. Because fuck tone knobs. Just needs intonation and a full setup but it already plays and sounds nice:

Awaiting brass block for the other one to give it a final setup and pickup swap.

Lots of fun to play :xx:
Holocaust
Metal God

Post by Holocaust »

Those look fun to play while standing

I hope they are as much fun while sitting
happiness and harmony
Postwhore

Post by happiness and harmony »

i wish this were about real axes
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Holocaust wrote:Those look fun to play while standing

sitting in a classical guitar position, they are
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Lavabug wrote:
Holocaust wrote:Those look fun to play while standing

sitting in a classical guitar position, they are
which is how everyone should play :judge:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

no wrist pain from overly externally rotating the hand :idea:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Lavabug wrote:no wrist pain from overly externally rotating the hand :idea:
i've played a randy rhoads v for almost 10 years, it's nearly impossible for me to not play in the classical stance :idea:
malgoth
Neophyte

Post by malgoth »

i owned the same model of ironbird pro. it was legit, but then i became uninterested in playing metal and traded it for drum gear.

it does it's thing really well.