guitar pickups

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.

your preferred guitar pickups

DiMarzio
38%
Seymour Duncan
25%
EMG
25%
Bill Lawrence
No votes
Lace
No votes
Bare Knuckle
No votes
Gibson
No votes
Bartolini
No votes
Entwistle
No votes
Fishman
No votes
Dragonfire
No votes
guitar-manufacturer branded pickups :grim:
13%
others (there are other pickup brands other than these?)
No votes

Total votes: 8
shadowalk
Metal God

guitar pickups

Post by shadowalk »

So which brand pickups do you prefer on your guitars? :taint: Or do you mix brands in your kintar?

Cliche as it may sound...sterile, no soul, the same sound in every guitar, etc. (I've heard all the anti-EMG comments)...but I really like the EMG 81 in the bridge.
zim
Zim(a)

Re: guitar pickups

Post by zim »

I dig me some Seymour Duncan :xx:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

DiMarzio and Duncans are great. I’m not abig fan of EMG’sor active pickups in general.
My ESP Viper has emg’ss and they are alrigjt in that guitar. I love what I’ve heard from Fishman.

But a cool PAF or Dirty Fingers are awesome.
deckard
Metal God

Post by deckard »

theres lots here to dig into, i voted emg mainly because you they are super consistent
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

Dimarzio Titans and a Gravity Storm atm. Would like to try some SD Black Winters. The SD Distortion I had in a Charvel once was awesome. Had BKP Nailbomb, which ultimately I didn't get along with and an Aftermath which I hated. Cold Sweat in the neck was okay. Very finicky and specific pickups are BKP.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I've had about a dozen different dimarzios, emg 81/85 and duncan invaders, plus a bunch of modern chinese cheap brands (yibuy, dragonfire,lyws).

The Dimarzio super distortion is the best bridge pickup ever made imho. Awesome cleans in parallel and thicc riffs and leads in regular series wiring, I don't think I'll ever bother with anything fancier. Like a tubescreamer, it's a classic sound that always just works.

I also like the dragonfire screamer, kind of a super distortion knockoff but more tame, not bad for a $20 pickup. But I'll probably upgrade that one to the SD at some point.
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

:bulb:

I will investigate these cheap pickups.

I've got a beater Ibanez RG I put together, currently has cheap UK designed pickups called Steam Hammers. They actually sound pretty good.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

M.Bison wrote::bulb:

I will investigate these cheap pickups.

I've got a beater Ibanez RG I put together, currently has cheap UK designed pickups called Steam Hammers. They actually sound pretty good.
Yeah Iron Gear pickups in the UK most likely source their pickups from the same places as Dragonfire, although they seem to have different specs and better looks. Chances are they use the same color scheme for the windings.

They also have a nicer webpage.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

I just got a duncan invader sh-8 for my single-pickup ironbird pro, to replace the dragonfire as I wanted more gain on this guitar that already sounds kinda thin as it's a thin alder body and neckthru maple neck.

Holy crap what an improvement. Always thought invaders had a bad rap for being muddy but it's not really the case. Compresses nicely and harmonics jump out of the guitar now, Nile-style. Glad I jumped on this for the $50 I saw it listed for. :ba:

I moved the dragonfire screamer to my mockingbird stc, it looks pretty cool on it :ba:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

I remember having a DiMarzio D-Activator in one of my RGs right before I swapped those for an 81/85 set. They sounded really good. Perhaps I'll get another kintar and put D-Activators in it once financial resources and available time/patience permits.

And at least I've got one guitar that's got passives. :redneck:
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

i was wondering. Has anyone ever tried having a Seymour Duncan Blackout and an EMG in the same guitar? :huh: