New Guitar

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
Abzu
Postwhore

New Guitar

Post by Abzu »

I am thinking about getting a new guitar once my current finances are in order. I may get a new amp as well but that will be a different thread when the time comes. The guitar I have been thinking of is an Ibanez Xiphos XPT700XH

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-XPT700XH

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions...?
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
zim
Zim(a)

Re: New Guitar

Post by zim »

I've wanted to try those, have you ever played one?

Jackson RR3 is a great guitar btw. :grin: especially for the price.
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

I have one of the first xiphos made, with 2 humbuckers....the edge 3 is shit, and it is headstock heavy, other than that is is a nice guitar, good price for what you get...I would however see if you could find one for cheaper on ebay
[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

ooooo but it has 27 frets, this make sme hornyt...i sex that 24th fret alot

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

MusiciansFriend has that particular model for 900 right now.

I've never used an Edge 3 trem system so please elaborate?

Until now I've been an RG series fellow.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

edge 3, doesn't stay in tune worth a dick, gets shitted up easily, and the tremelo arm is held in by friction, not threads, which is fine for a casual player i suppose, but for me, a frequent live player, is not good...i have had the bar fall out many times live, and now i have the thing wrapped in electrical tape so it won't fall out

I would not pay 900 for this guitar

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

i've played it in a guitar store :santa:

it feels really good and plays nice, I have a warrior wrxt and it kinda felt the same... my warrior was just cheaper and plays just as good.
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

yeah...not a bad axe, just not worth $900...i got mine for under $400, it was a factory fuck up, a couple dings on the back horn

Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

There's also a fixed bridge model, you might want to check that out since the edge 3 is kinda crappy. But personally, I don't like the xyphos' look. I'm sure the neck feels awesome since it's a wizard II and the dimarzios they have are good but I just don't dig the warrior/star/ironbird style body anymore(nor most pointy guitars for that matter, in fact I might actually sell my ironbird after I wire up both humbuckers in it properly with coil splitting).

Try it at a store and try some jackson warriors too, they're similar. Another good suggestion: look for older Japanese-made Jacksons(and Charvels if you dig superstrats) on ebay, kickass quality.
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

Im not that much into guitars shaped like this anymore, i had a flying v f.i and a warlock type guitar. both incredibly difficult to play sitting down. Im thinking of getting a telecaster myself or a les paul.
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

flying v's and stuff like this are great for me, since i naturally play with my guitar positioned classical style...i have a really hard time playing with my guitar horizontal sitting down

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]flying v's and stuff like this are great for me, since i naturally play with my guitar positioned classical style...i have a really hard time playing with my guitar horizontal sitting down[/quote]
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I've only ever had standard bodied guitars so a shape like this would be interesting I think. A V on the other hand Im not so sure of.
;,,;
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

The V shape is so comfortable. Your right arm is positioned perfect, especially when sitting. I occasionally like to play while laying down(lazy) and it does kind of suck but whatever.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

I have the 7 string version. (currently under construction, in the process of getting a trem)

The neck heavynes is easyly (sp?) corrected. Just move the neck strap pin to the same place a Jackson warrior has. Underneath the upper horn.

It is funny I had a USA Handmade jackson warrior, well this Indonesian made Ibby was a nicer playing guitar. The only plus the Jack had over this one were the finishing or the fret ends. Also the finnish is thinner and looks better than the Jackson. And the Jack costs 3 times as much...

I think the Jackson shape does look nicer but the Ibby is more comfy to me.

I sold the Jack a while ago.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]flying v's and stuff like this are great for me, since i naturally play with my guitar positioned classical style...i have a really hard time playing with my guitar horizontal sitting down[/quote]

Exatemondo!

i never have my guitar on my right leg. Always in classical position. Way easier to play fast downstrokes and tremelo picking.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Lavabug"] I just don't dig the warrior/star/ironbird style body anymore(nor most pointy guitars for that matter, in fact I might actually sell my ironbird after I wire up both humbuckers in it properly with coil splitting).[/quote]

infidel!!!!!

:redneck:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="uni777"]

infidel!!!!!:redneck:[/quote]
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="TAM TAM"]edge 3, doesn't stay in tune worth a dick, gets shitted up easily, and the tremelo arm is held in by friction, not threads, which is fine for a casual player i suppose, but for me, a frequent live player, is not good...i have had the bar fall out many times live, and now i have the thing wrapped in electrical tape so it won't fall out

I would not pay 900 for this guitar[/quote]

Luckily i do not have a edge III on any of my ibby's, but i have heard of a home mod which cures the crappy arm connection. Check the web for that.

A lot of the detuning issues are caused by the lack of locking studs. Older ibbys have little allen screws in the stud posts. By which you lock the studs in place at the required height. The new ones do not have these any more. Trem movement causes small movement in the studs also, add to that the knive edges which are not that good on this particular trem and you're fucked.
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote name="uni777"]
[quote name="Lavabug"] I just don't dig the warrior/star/ironbird style body anymore(nor most pointy guitars for that matter, in fact I might actually sell my ironbird after I wire up both humbuckers in it properly with coil splitting).[/quote]

infidel!!!!!

:redneck:[/quote]

Key word here is might. :redneck: Maybe after I set it up right I'll regret saying this haha, but right now it's playing like crap.
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="uni777"]I have the 7 string version. (currently under construction, in the process of getting a trem)

The neck heavynes is easyly (sp?) corrected. Just move the neck strap pin to the same place a Jackson warrior has. Underneath the upper horn.

It is funny I had a USA Handmade jackson warrior, well this Indonesian made Ibby was a nicer playing guitar. The only plus the Jack had over this one were the finishing or the fret ends. Also the finnish is thinner and looks better than the Jackson. And the Jack costs 3 times as much...

I sold the Jack a while ago.[/quote]

You better post pics as soon as you get that geet back!!!
:xx:
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

[quote name="Pentelesh"]
[quote name="uni777"]I have the 7 string version. (currently under construction, in the process of getting a trem)

I sold the Jack a while ago.[/quote]

You better post pics as soon as you get that geet back!!![/quote]

:judge:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

yah fucker, you didn't even tell me about it! :redneck:

whaddaya think about the BC Rich JR V NT I'm jizzing over uni? :santa:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Void"]yah fucker, you didn't even tell me about it! :redneck:

whaddaya think about the BC Rich JR V NT I'm jizzing over uni? :santa:[/quote]

It is a decend guitar... lightweight but i think it is to small. I like bigger guitars. A Gib V has more meat to the shape if you know what I mean.

When Erik jammed at our rehearsel place he had it with him, as he wanted to use it on the DVD. He liked his ironbird better as he felt the V sounded a little thin. He put that EMG in as a last minute fix.

He felt He had to use the V on the DVD as the guys at BC Rich were cool to him for the endorsement.

Stephan uses one too and it works, its a nice guitar, but with your height i think it would look a little small on you.

About the Xiphos; totally forgot to tell you.. :redneck:

Did I tell you I got rid of some guitars last year, and bought some new ones?

My Jackson, charvel and kramer are gone. I've gotten a Gibson V and Explorer. And right after the Melechesh tour I bought a Prestige 7 string with an ultra neck. It is just a stock RG7, but the thing absolutly smokes both my Universes.

I also restored my Star to working order again. A no brand: Warmoth maple/ebony neck reversed hockey head, mahogony ESP body, Ibby LoPro Edge, and a DiMarzio Dual sound with push/pull.

And I build my own Pedal board. That's about it :grin:
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

[quote name="uni777"]

About the Xiphos; totally forgot to tell you.. :redneck:

Did I tell you I got rid of some guitars last year, and bought some new ones?

My Jackson, charvel and kramer are gone. I've gotten a Gibson V and Explorer. And right after the Melechesh tour I bought a Prestige 7 string with an ultra neck. It is just a stock RG7, but the thing absolutly smokes both my Universes.

I also restored my Star to working order again. A no brand: Warmoth maple/ebony neck reversed hockey head, mahogony ESP body, Ibby LoPro Edge, and a DiMarzio Dual sound with push/pull.

And I build my own Pedal board. That's about it :grin:[/quote]

Pics or it didn't happen! LOL
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote name="Pentelesh"]Pics or it didn't happen! LOL[/quote]

Yeah I know.... When the Xiphos is back , I'll make some pics. :santa:
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

What about your Gibsons, are they just plain old 68 're issues or something special, like Gothics?
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

The V is a 67 reissue in vintage white.

The explorer is a 2008 guitar of the month Shred-X.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

goddamn!

i need to come over and check those guitars out asap... :oldryan:
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Plenty of time for that in a few months :santa:
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

[quote name="uni777"]Plenty of time for that in a few months :santa:[/quote]

aye, can't wait :xx:

also to get into the studio.

today we sat down with the ex-producer of Henry Rollins, UDS and Stuurbaard Bakkebaard he's a dutch hard-on bearer too. We're busy with a Jimi Hendrix case study now and he helped us out a little with our mixing at school. That was awesome.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="uni777"]And I build my own Pedal board. That's about it :grin:[/quote]

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile.
;,,;
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

<!-- m -->http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/images/f ... ineNAT.jpg<!-- m -->

getting this next month
Mr. P
Ancient One

Post by Mr. P »

Hollowbody tele for black metal music. sick?
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

eloborate :grimsanta:
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

seems a nice guitty man, but I can't give u a serious opinion cause Ibanez is not my shit

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/images/f ... ineNAT.jpg

getting this next month[/quote]

I want one :idea:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Pentelesh"]Hollowbody tele for black metal music. sick?[/quote]