drum programming/programmers

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
nigtik

drum programming/programmers

Post by nigtik »

I'm currently writing some material for a project I have going on. It's a one man thrashing death band, I'm going to be doing everything...bass, guitar, vocals...the only thing I'm not too familiar with is programming drums. Does anyone know of an easy drum program or be willing to program some drums for my project? I don't want them to sound too digital, but as realistic as possible as this is going to be a semi serious project.

the myspace is up, myspace.com/eargazm1 , that's all I got for now until I can get some shit recorded which will most likely be in a month when I have enough for a four song demo :greenie:
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Re: drum programming/programmers

Post by methodrone »

Toontrack Ezdrummer Drumkit from hell expansion has bunch of preprogrammed metal beats which you can manipulate to your own liking and there are also metal expansion groove librarys out there for it.

So i reccomend getting that for the beats and Toontrack superior 2 for the sound
nigtik

Post by nigtik »

got a link? I have a mac so keep that shit in mind negro
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

you can also use something like guitarpro to make the actual drum parts, then use something like dfh or superior drummer to have a real sounding kit
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

or he could use cubase and not bother with jumping between programs....
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]or he could use cubase and not bother with jumping between programs....[/quote]

i use cubase le 4 with ezdrummer. it's easy as hell, i haven't figured out how to set the velocity of a beat though.. :rshot:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

google it
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

Get cubase sx3 (not sure if it's cracked on macs) or Reaper(freeware, just as good, works on macs) and EZD with the expansion packs, just search mininova.org Easy as balls.
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

I use Cubase sx3, ezdrummer + groove monkey midi updates - thousands of new grooves, metal, rock etc. and Superior 2.0
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]I use Cubase sx3, ezdrummer + groove dog midi updates - thousands of new grooves, metal, rock etc. and Superior 2.0[/quote]

do you know anyway to add or replace different drums with something different other than the normal presets? i'm not a big fan of ezdrummers kickdrums or most of the snare sounds
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

yeah, the expansion packs. but as i said, i dont use ezdrummer for the sounds because the suck. i use superior 2.0 which i mix heavily
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="zim"]
[quote name="hafsteinn"]I use Cubase sx3, ezdrummer + groove dog midi updates - thousands of new grooves, metal, rock etc. and Superior 2.0[/quote]

do you know anyway to add or replace different drums with something different other than the normal presets? i'm not a big fan of ezdrummers kickdrums or most of the snare sounds[/quote]

Yeah,

- Apptrigga

- samples

you can use apptrigga (or drummagog, but apptrigga is a lot more resource friendly) and samples of your choice. Set multichannel in ezdrummer's mixer, not stereo, than apply apptrigga as an insert on snare/kick or whatever. You can play around with pitch, you can blend new sample and ez sample 50/5o or whatever you like, etc.

I do that since I don't have PC that's powerful enough to run Superior comfortably (at least not in full mix, with all that proccessing on guitars, vox, synths...). The only thing I don't replace in ez are cymbals :redneck: but maybe I will replace them too, not too long ago I found some cymbals kit, I'll try it out.
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

sounds pretty pointless, ezdrummer eats up cpu and if you are just using the cymbals you might as well get a smaller vst.
Uros

Post by Uros »

it's not that much of an eater :huh:

I don't actually replace them totally, its more like blending ez and my samples though.

Btw, I don't use just ez, I use superior 2 (since it has more "routing" options), but just the plugin, and load ezx's into it. I've built my own frankenstein :redneck:
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

try sending the snare to a buss and the oh/hihat/room to one buss and lastly the toms to on buss. Then use Waves doubler effect on it, and blend it neatly in the background. You will get a much fuller sound plus it makes it sound more organic. Probably wont have to to that replacement thing you are doing.
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]try sending the snare to a buss and the oh/hihat/room to one buss and lastly the toms to on buss. [/quote]

Could you be more precise? All these just on one buss/group?

Oh, btw, every now and then I use parallel compression (not so much on ez as on live drums) you mentioned ages ago, it's awesome. :grimsanta:
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

it would be 3 seperate stereo groups.

I made you little sample, but here i didnt even bother with bussing it, it sounds good on its own.

<!-- m -->http://mp3upload.ca/files/17796/riff57<!-- m -->

click test by hafsteinn
Uros

Post by Uros »

thanks, but can you clarify your previous post, as it has some sp mistakes?
methodrone
God of Emptiness

Post by methodrone »

sure.

Sends =

Snare ->stereo group -> Insert Waves doubler

Toms ->stereo group -> Insert Waves doubler

Room/oh ->stereo group -> Insert Waves doubler

all separate. But i´ve stopped bothering with that and adding it into the tracks themselves and changing the dry/wet signal. Though the thumb rule is always to have 100% and fx bussess to govern that stuff.

And yeah, that sample is made with ezdrummer not superior 2.0 obviously
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="hafsteinn"]use Waves doubler effect on it, [/quote]

i have waves, but not sure if i've used this element.

i'll have to check it out.

:santa:
Syysysyd
Ancient One

Post by Syysysyd »

theyre making a metal expansion for superior 2 http://www.toontrack.com/metal_foundry.asp
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Ignatius"]theyre making a metal expansion for superior 2 http://www.toontrack.com/metal_foundry.asp[/quote]

cool! Devin's involved in the making of it too!!
nigtik

Post by nigtik »

hafstein seems to know his shit, i'm gonna go with what that dude gotta say. when i get off my ass i'll try programming some drums and shit to my sub par guitar playing, mediocre bass skills, and my laughable attempt at vocals. this shit is gonna be awesome :greenie:
Tyreese BIGGUMS
God of Emptiness

Post by Tyreese BIGGUMS »

[quote name="Uros"]
[quote name="zim"]

do you know anyway to add or replace different drums with something different other than the normal presets? i'm not a big fan of ezdrummers kickdrums or most of the snare sounds[/quote]

Yeah,

- Apptrigga

- samples

you can use apptrigga (or drummagog, but apptrigga is a lot more resource friendly) and samples of your choice. Set multichannel in ezdrummer's mixer, not stereo, than apply apptrigga as an insert on snare/kick or whatever. You can play around with pitch, you can blend new sample and ez sample 50/5o or whatever you like, etc.

I do that since I don't have PC that's powerful enough to run Superior comfortably (at least not in full mix, with all that proccessing on guitars, vox, synths...). The only thing I don't replace in ez are cymbals :redneck: but maybe I will replace them too, not too long ago I found some cymbals kit, I'll try it out.[/quote]

qft.

up until tonight I've been using strictly SD2 with some processing on it modeled after a preset I found on the sneap forum - but I started playing around with drumagog using some snare samples from other kits and it sounds great.

blending, though, is probably the best way to go if you're using a real kit. maybe 40% samples/60% real kit or something along those lines. it makes the kit sound tighter and better, especially if the miced kit doesn't sound so good in a mix.

if you're just programming the drums then it's not so much the sounds that matter but the velocities that will make it sound more "real" and "human."