Trey style solos

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Trey style solos

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

:santa:

Guys can you write here a classic Trey solo? What I want to know if he uses pentatonic or minor scales when he makes his classic ultra-speed solos. How about the floyd? how he uses?

I want to be able to do a solo in classic Trey style

p.s. I suppose he use a classic base ( don't know what is it) and he buld speed on it

let's grow the thread

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
FUKKET
Metal God

Re: Trey style solos

Post by FUKKET »

trey's solos usually sound atonal to me, with some harmonic minors here & there. i've never really heard pentatonic...

Tom's your man for this thread AOD, on 1.0 or 2.0 he mentioned the 'scales' Trey uses.

:alien:
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

[quote name="FUKKET"]

Tom's your man for this thread AOD, on 1.0 or 2.0 he mentioned the 'scales' Trey uses.

:alien:[/quote]

* waiting the Vamphy's attack in this thread * :xx:

tnx fukky :santa:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
Uros

Post by Uros »

its just lava man
Lavabug
Metal God

Post by Lavabug »

It's fucking impossible to replicate. :redneck:
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

[quote name="Lavabug"]It's fucking impossible to replicate. :redneck:[/quote]

of course, but I suppose there are classic things and scales he uses :grim:

FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

*shines vahmpy signal*
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

*ignors signal and sards on*

:redneck: j/k

Most of the old solo's are just wankery chaotic stuff, very atonal indeed.

But since C and D he started to use more minor-harmonic and minor-melodic scale parts, also the beginning of the tapping thing in the Slime solo is basically based on a pentatonic blues scale in Eb, if I'm correct. Not that it matters because then he taps half notes in that scale as well, making it minor(harmonic) again... and then the chords that are under it are totally not in a blues scale whatsoever, haha.

So yeah... in Gateways there's a lot of cool melodic stuff that definately have minor scale characteristics, etc. but I don't think any of it has been written down (if written down at all) as a solo based on a scale.

Also, on Heretic (especially in Beneath the Hollow), there are minor scale things. But that's because many of it goes along with the melody of the riffs, which is minor as well.

Basically, I think Trey just feels it all out. Listens to what the rhythm is doing, and feels his solo's out on what's going on with all the instruments. I guess that's his way of creating solo's, making it very personal, unique and lava-like.

ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Thanks Tom for contribution. :xx:

So, now, seriosuly, you suppose Trey probably don't knew notes in the first albums period?? I also suppose many of his solos is chaotic stuff. But "that" sound, classic of Morbid Angel is composed by what? ( I ask for his effects)

( wah-wah, Deep and High Reverb?)

:grim:

vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I can't tell youhow much Trey knows about musical theory, he would be the only one that can answer that truthfully.

But I think in the Altars days he'd just go with whatever sounds fast, evil and different from all the other metal and rock solo's.

Delay and wah have always been effects used by MA, not in every solo though... just play around with some delay (maybe a bit of reverb), a wah pedal and ofcourse your tremolo!
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

i really wish i could do/knew how to do those really high squeals.

looks like a harmonic around the third or 2nd fret, but i'm sure i saw Trey (and Thor too) do it up near the pick-up & then bend the tremolo bar.

i guess also to do that, i need an uber guitar with floyd-rose & locking shit...

:huh:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="FUKKET"]i really wish i could do/knew how to do those really high squeals.

looks like a harmonic around the third or 2nd fret, but i'm sure i saw Trey (and Thor too) do it up near the pick-up & then bend the tremolo bar.

i guess also to do that, i need an uber guitar with floyd-rose & locking shit...

:huh:[/quote]

When I first got my floyd-rose I didn't stop doing that shit for about a year... the squeals from the 2-3fret can also be done around 13/14th ect.

Also - check this solo out that I did a few years back, I was going for a completely crazy Trey style solo, all from the gut.. loaded with delay

<!-- m -->http://www.anclan.us/members/zim/mr80007.wav<!-- m -->
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

awesome!!!

:xx: :xx:

about 7 years ago i borrowed a mates guitar & setup for a weekend. I mucked around & recorded a bunch of stuff similar to that. it sounded more Eddie than Trey, but i kinda had some sqeauls going....

i think if i come across some $$$ i'll buy a cheap ibanez or BC rich with floydrose.... but my next purchase will be a fretless or a new 5 stringer. When i'm in Japan next. really cheap guitars & stuff!

:greenie: :xx:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

and using a univibe also gives that cool 'Trey sludgery' in your sound too.... bombs with univibe is fucking :xx: :xx:
Uros

Post by Uros »

[quote name="FUKKET"]awesome!!!

:xx: :xx:

i think if i come across some $$$ i'll buy a cheap ibanez or BC rich with floydrose....[/quote]

that will be complete waste of money. You can't abuse a licensed floyd rose and expect it to last more than a couple of months. Hell, for ex. even Trey's changing of guitars which are loaded with OFRs throughout their sets is a practical thing (his guitar tech re-tuning them and whatnot in the backstage while band is performing, I have witnessed this when I first saw MA).

So I don't think that's a wise idea. Do what you like tho :santa:
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="FUKKET"]i really wish i could do/knew how to do those really high squeals.

:huh:[/quote]

You can pull some harmonics from above the neck pickups, it looks cool but it's the exact same harmonics as elsewhere on the neck. Still, does look smart do dive a string down and then karate chop about the neck and pull up on the bar :xx: much cooler imo than the douchebag darrell style.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="M.Bison"] much cooler imo than the douchebag darrell style.[/quote]

....which was?
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="M.Bison"] much cooler imo than the douchebag darrell style.[/quote]

....which was?[/quote]

Doing the whole flicking off the string and pulling harmonics from the 2nd and 3rd frets with the bar back to front. Trey karate chops>>>>
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I've seen Trey doing that as well, sir. Just not that much... Steve Vai does it too :santa:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="M.Bison"]

Doing the whole flicking off the string and pulling harmonics from the 2nd and 3rd frets with the bar back to front. Trey karate chops>>>>[/quote]

[quote name="Void"]I've seen Trey doing that as well, sir. Just not that much... Steve Vai does it too :santa:[/quote]

anyone have vid link to this tech? :blush:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="M.Bison"]

Doing the whole flicking off the string and pulling harmonics from the 2nd and 3rd frets with the bar back to front. Trey karate chops>>>>[/quote]

[quote name="Void"]I've seen Trey doing that as well, sir. Just not that much... Steve Vai does it too :santa:[/quote]

anyone have vid link to this tech? :blush:[/quote]

most people refer to it as "the dimebag squeal"

fast forward to 1:02 and 3:30 for a closer explanation

[youtube]swWU7l6Kk34[/youtube]
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

thankee

now do we have footage of Trey's tech of doing the same thing?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

I thought I saw him doing this in the Wacken video... not sure which song of the 4.

Live I've seen it too tho. But I can't remember if it was a squeel, or just tremolo abuse.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i think trey does it all the time tbh, the dive style squeal are more controllable than trying to do artificial harmonics and then adding whammy stuff to it.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

ofcourse he does that all the time, mildly hitting the 2nd or 3rd fret (like a flagiolette).

but I thought we were talking about how Trey holds his tremolo/whammy bar, next to how Dimebag did it.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"] mildly hitting the 2nd or 3rd fret (like a flagiolette).[/quote]

nani kore?
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

:huh:

...........anyways, look up what flagiolette is then.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

so it's just another name for a false harmonic, yeah?

I got this when i searched Google & wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_harmonichttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... te.svg.png
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

your wiki is correct about the Hz things... but what do you mean with 'false'?

guitarists can use it as a way of tuning their instrument.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Void"]your wiki is correct about the Hz things... but what do you mean with 'false'?

guitarists can use it as a way of tuning their instrument.[/quote]

people here say false harmonic sometimes, means same as artificial

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="Void"]your wiki is correct about the Hz things... but what do you mean with 'false'?

guitarists can use it as a way of tuning their instrument.[/quote]

people here say false harmonic sometimes, means same as artificial

:santa:[/quote]

false, artificial, pinch, all the same.
vO)))id
Metal God

Post by vO)))id »

i don't think pinch is the same...

isn't that the english term for making those squeeks? (muting the string softly with your thumb (picking hand) while you pick the string).
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Void"]i don't think pinch is the same...

isn't that the english term for making those squeeks? (muting the string softly with your thumb (picking hand) while you pick the string).[/quote]

yes, people call that pinch but many also call it artificial (including my self).
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

i just call it :xx:

Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="FUKKET"]i just call it :xx:

:santa:[/quote]
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;