Sydney show stuff

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
FUKKET
Metal God

Sydney show stuff

Post by FUKKET »

Just got back from the Sydney show.

Fucking awesome, will write review in the morning.

Got t-shirt + pic + recorded it, and i think it might have turned out Ok.

watch this space!

:bang:
zim
Zim(a)

Re: Sydney show stuff

Post by zim »

:jizz:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
cl8on
Mature Neophyte

Post by cl8on »

Solid performance and a brilliant set. The guys even attended their [painful] after party. :xx:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

The venue was the Metro, which is on the main street of Sydney, where tourists go, homies go to hip-hop clubs & drunken idiots bash & stab each other.

:redneck:

Then you have about 300 death metal heads lining up out the front & making the general public go :scary:

13 years ago MA played the same venue.

Due to it being such a long time since the last show, the place was packed and everyone got there right when the doors opened - mainly I’d say due to the high interest in merch!

Once in, the re was about a 30min wait to get to the merch table.

There were about 3 or 4 items on sale. 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleave & a hoodie.

First act was Infinitum.

I thought they were pretty good. Pretty standard Technical/fruital Death Metal. They were really stoked that they played to a nearly full-house, because everyone got there so early.

2nd support was Daemon Foetal Harvest.

These guys were your typical gore Death Metal. The vocalist had that old school Barnes style. The crowd seemed to be into them.

Then as was mentioned earlier, the sound hard-on bearer put on this techno stuff – hard house/gabba type stuff.

The audience actually seemed to not mind it. With some groups of drunk people dancing seriously & taking-the-piss too.

This went on for about 30mins. The crowd did seem to tire of it after that long. Then when we heard the drum check the crowd roared. Whether it was Pete or his drum-tech, we won’t know, because the curtains were closed. But everyone roared anyway.

A few chugs here & there (again, was it Trey or guitar tech?), a “check check“ (Aussie accent) then an intro began, which I thought sounded like the AOD intro, but I’m not sure.

The guys walked on stage & hit a note & drum noise and said “hello Sydney masturbated crackers!” and went straight into Rapture.

From the very beginning Dave and the guys had this amazing energy, and the crowd was giving great energy back – and everyone could feel everyone feeding off the vibe. Dave mentioned this many times throughout the night.

The sound was superb I thought (as all Metro gigs have been for me).

They were tight-as-fuck, as I expected.

As soon as Rapture finished Dave said hello again & said how great it was to be back here then they blasted into Pain Divine.

Dave was all in leather & studs & looked kinda funny – but heaps cool still.

He went on again about “being sorry for taking so long to get back to Oz” so they were going to work twice as hard for us!

They then went into Maze.

Next came Sworn To Black. Dave’s intros to songs were a little cheesy, but that doesn’t matter because they’re fucking Morbid Angel!!! :xx:

His stage moves too were a little funny. Like cock-rock moves, kicking the air a few times, asking everyone to clap & “Oi” along to certain bits. But they’re aloud, it’s fucking MA! And because everyone respects them so much everyone “Oi’d” back as requested.

Next came Nevermore. This song is great, but seemed different from the footage that was shown back on 2.0… I remember an operatic bit (yeah?) but no operatic bit.

Dave kept giving props to all the old schoolers and that lead us into Lord of All Fevers, which was followed by Immortal Rites.

They then played the only track from B, which was Fall From Grace.

Next was the classic Blasphemy, followed by the most classic probably – Chapel of Ghouls.

Now 13 years ago when I saw them play this song, at the same venue & everything Trey’s solo was amazing. He went for ages, and took it to some new level I’d never heard him do. After all the crazy shredding and scraping, he did some cool low sounds & soft delay stuff.

This time his solo was still awesome but much shorter & didn’t touch anything like I remember he did when I saw him years ago. Still a killer though!

One thing that was a bit cheesy, was Dave sung the keyboard choir bits. But everyone joined in (including myself) so it’s fine I guess.

Next guitar change and there was a cool synth track played. It sounded familiar but I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it’s a new track of Trey’s for I?

The guitar changeover made everyone know what would be coming up; we were hit with Dawn of The Angry, Where The Slime Live & Blood On My Hands.

Next came, and I had a feeling we would get it, Bil Ur Sag. Now at first I thought Dave’s still kicking arse, but then I felt what was mentioned on here – he wasn’t delivering it with the 200% that did for the rest of the songs. He even seemed to just mumble some sections of the lyrics (maybe the parts where it was too syllable-full?). I wish they did Nothing Is Not instead…

Then came Domination which I had a feeling would be their last song.

It was, but of course the crowd chanted “Morbid Morbid Morbid!” and they came back out.

Dave thanked everyone again and they then went into the encore God of Emptiness. Dave’s vocals in this were amazing – the deep evil rasp in the first half of the song was creepy!!

Then they went into World of Shit which surprised me, as I thought they going to end with God…. It ended with crazy solos & noise and drums rolling as expected.

They then sincerely thanked everyone (with body language only) and headed off.

It was great, but of course seeing they’re a band with 8 albums it would be nice to hear at least 1 track from each.

Now for the ‘newbie’. Thor ‘Destructhor’ was fucking awesome! His playing was totally up there with his predecessors. His solos were fucking awesome too, only one thing that I felt with his solos: his style was a little too close to Trey’s. But that I mean, he does a lot of Trey-esque dives, squeals & bombs amongst his own style of shredding & tapping.

Erik was so different with his solos compared to Trey it was refreshing to hear 2 such awesome players who soloed totally differently.

Anyway, that’s it really.

Fucking great show & I really enjoyed it.

I just listened to the recording – it sounds damn good – just soft. I’ll boots it & tweak it & get it up ASAP. It’s a public holiday here on Monday, so maybe I can do it all then.

I’m also about to upload the pics, that I took on my shitty phone camera. Not sure what easier to upload to here my home page area…

:xx:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="cl8on"]Solid performance and a brilliant set. The guys even attended their [painful] after party. :xx:[/quote]

??? :oldryan:

Was that at Blink? if so.... eewwwwwwwwww...

disappointed too - i had to head straight from work pretty much to the show. I didn't get a chance to get online (here or email) and get your mobile number so we could meet up...

oh well, next metal show that comes to town....

:santa:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

Heaps of people were tanked too, but i think a large amount took it easy, so they would remewmber it... (i overheard 2 conversations where people said they weren't going to booze for that reason).

On the opposite said to that, there was a dude infront of me sitting down looking terrible for most of the show.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

cl8on
Mature Neophyte

Post by cl8on »

It actually was quite a reasonable audience. It certainly helps when half the attendees are well over 30 and have been longing for Morbid Angel half their life.

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="cl8on"]Solid performance and a brilliant set. The guys even attended their [painful] after party. :xx:[/quote]

??? :oldryan:

Was that at Blink? if so.... eewwwwwwwwww...[/quote]

It was at the Agincourt Hotel. What an abomination. :redneck:
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

Great review Fukket, but how was Pete's drumming during the show? Was his double-bass pretty solid?
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

great :xx:

also Luke was there?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="zim"]Great review Fukket, but how was Pete's drumming during the show? Was his double-bass pretty solid?[/quote]

shit i forgot to mentioned Pete! :blush: :huh:

well he was awesome. Solid, fucking solid.

blasts spot on, rolls all spot on and the double kicks spot on!!

i only heard one mistake, can remember what song - just a missing snare, but that could have been a hit where he just got the rim & it didn't stand out, or he left it out just for fun or because he was fixing something?? The drum tech did run over to him a couple of times.

Luke lives in melbz AOD, i'm in Sydney :santa:
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

Thanks for the review Fuk, it was indeed a great show. The interaction with the crowd and the vibe was awesome. Few Aussies flying over the fence into the bouncer's arms lol and Dave would give some of them a quick handshake haha.

The techno stuff before the show still feels a bit weird and I still don't think it belongs at a DM concert.

Jawdropping performance by Pete, amazing.

I was happy with the Covenant songs, they are heavy as. Got the tourshirt, no real Vadi art on it just the dates on the back as inthe tour poster (on the MA MySpace) and the logo on the front. Might get the extreme music for extreme Aussies on Monday. I like the personal touch. When I used to see them in the Netherlands though they'd have at least a choice of 4 shirts and usually caps and stuff.

Can't wait till Monday to see them again here in Brisneyland.
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

Just got back from hanging out with the tour manger, promoter, Dave, Pete and Thor. Went to a widlife sanctuary to check out some koala's and kangaroos. What an awesome group of guys.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Godsdefeat"]Just got back from hanging out with the tour manger, promoter, Dave, Pete and Thor. Went to a widlife sanctuary to check out some koala's and kangaroos. What an awesome group of guys.[/quote]

...and just how did you manage to get involved in thios awesomeness??
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="Godsdefeat"]Just got back from hanging out with the tour manger, promoter, Dave, Pete and Thor. Went to a widlife sanctuary to check out some koala's and kangaroos. What an awesome group of guys.[/quote]

...and just how did you manage to get involved in thios awesomeness??[/quote]

Basically I just went up to the tour manager when I saw him in the Metro in your hometown and asked if it was possible to meet the band or something similar (had a few beers already lol). I said I was from Brisbane and we exchanged numbers and sent a few texts when they got to Brisbane. Ended up joining them for an arvo of sightseeing.
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

fucking awesome!

did u get shit signed?

any word on new album or label?

any ladies around :tit:

Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

[quote name="FUKKET"]fucking awesome!

did u get shit signed?

any word on new album or label?

any ladies around :tit:

:xx:[/quote]

Haha, no women there. When I talked to the tour manager in Sydney he took a chance giving me the details and phone numbers and stuff. I didn't want to take advantage of it and you'll probably hit me for this but no, I didn't ask them about stuff like that. I just took in the moment. It was their leisure time and the last thing I wanted to do is be the annoying fan and ask heaps of questions and stuff. It was more of a tour guide role that arvo haha. I'm hoping to get some stuff signed today / tonight and take some pics.
Mesarthim
Lhümbergø

Post by Mesarthim »

photos:

<!-- m -->http://hailmetal.com/gate.html?name=cop ... s&album=79<!-- m -->

some vids:

[youtube]S000ADYaQYY[/youtube]

[youtube]QpDoSecOsYI[/youtube]
rhino wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:48
I'm just getting buzzed up and making dumb threads :bacon:
Verbal wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 04:32
i dont think youre appreciating how much of an idiot i am
Svartmetall

Post by Svartmetall »

Great review, thanks for that. And watching the vids, I think that's the best performance of 'Nevermore' I've seen so far; also Pete's double-bass sounds tighter than on the other performances I've seen of this song. Given that there have been audible issues with his DB work in some videos of them live over the last 18 months or so, how was his playing during the gig...?
TamPron
Metal God

Post by TamPron »

[quote name="Extreme Noise Tara"]They are. [/quote]

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

i was waiting for someone to post that
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

Dave also played with his fingers all night.

I've seen him both do fingers & pick, but it was rad he was all fingers!

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

I'm pretty happy to see that Treys hair doesn't look so mop-like now.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I used to yahoo chat with a chick in the Aussie metal scene but I forget where exactly she was from. Awesome lady though.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="abzu"]I used to yahoo chat with a chick in the Aussie metal scene but I forget where exactly she was from. Awesome lady though.[/quote]

e-sex? :idea:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

haha no :god:

Deathsgoddess666

Not my type of chickie but really cool nonetheless.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
ANGEL OF DESEASE
Metal God

Post by ANGEL OF DESEASE »

David Vincent looks like a satanic version of Nikki Sixx nowadays :krinor:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rocknrolla">prostitutes....they are magical beings. Almost like unicorns. But instead of unicorns, prostitutes do exist. They cost real money. But..........It may just be worth the while. They do unbelievable things with their mouths.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Extreme Noise Tara">Ryan is black.</blockquote>
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="ANGEL OF DESEASE"]David Vincent looks like a satanic version of Nikki Sixx nowadays :krinor:[/quote]

sure does
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

By the way, I don't think Trey used any Dean guitars on these gigs. Think I only saw the Instagib and a black 7 string?
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="Godsdefeat"]By the way, I don't think Trey used any Dean guitars on these gigs. Think I only saw the Instagib and a black 7 string?[/quote]

yeah, i noticed that. I was waiting for the blue dean
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Hmmmmmm :interessant:
;,,;