F-H with Dave query....

Discuss the legendary band Morbid Angel here. For twenty years The Chapel has connected the morbid fanbase online.
FUKKET
Metal God

F-H with Dave query....

Post by FUKKET »

So we discussed a while ago the issue of Dave not performing Tucker material.

We then heard him do "Bil Ur Sag", so we knew it's wasn't beyond him.

Originally I (we?) thought that he didn't want to perform this material because he didn't write the lyrics etc, but it just occured to me, that F was written entirely by Trey.

So Dave could do F material, if that was the reason why he doesn't perform F-H.

And what about other tracks that Trey wrote solely?

It's a shame really....
Uni777
Ancient One

Re: F-H with Dave query....

Post by Uni777 »

I don't think the issue is the solely fact that Trey wrote this material on his own.

In the first instance i think it was just the easiest way to get MA back to touring: only material David was a part of.

Then there is the issue of David being not part of the creative process i.e. vocal lines not being what he would have done. And it is more than logical that some songs do not feel as comfy singing, as stuff he has been a part of.

If you analize the different ways of singing between David and Steve, it is apperent that some songs just would not sound like they were intended. Just look at al the critisism on Bil-ur-sag.

Hell, even Steve said the lines on Formulas were a bitch. And only started feeling comfertable when he was able to do his thing on Gateways. I think David would have approached the material way different than Steve. Thus being more comfy and at home so to speak.

Maybe there is a little of: "I don't wanna sing a other dudes stuff", but maybe they just don't want the songs sound different. (or like ass for that matter)

There is a big chance people will be all over them when they would do more songs. I think David would be fighting an uphill battle with all his critics. Whatever he will do, people will nag about it.

Having said all that, i sincerely hope they eventually give Nothing is not a try.
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

In another thread a recent aussie radio interview with Dave with posted. He said that "they" didn't want to focus their time on relearning older material and focus their time more on writing/working on newer stuff.

He didn't sound thrilled when the interviewer asked him about that stuff either. :oldryan:
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

That's a damn shame reallly. There is some incredible material from F-H.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="uni777"] i sincerely hope they eventually give Nothing is not a try.[/quote]

totally!!

+ Summing Redemption
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote name="FUKKET"]
[quote name="uni777"] i sincerely hope they eventually give Nothing is not a try.[/quote]

totally!!

+ Summing Redemption[/quote]

I'd love to hear Summoning Redemption with Dave on vocals. It is one of my favorite songs.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Uros

Post by Uros »

I remember an interview (or was it his myspace bulletin?) with Trey from like a year ago or so where he says (with some kind of smile though) that he's gonna made David to perform F-H stuff or he will be out of the band. Now, maybe he was joking, but it's obviously "I don't wanna sing a other dudes stuff", how uni777 put it. Otherwise, Trey wouldn't have mentioned it.

I look at it this way:

Before, David was ego maniac, but with good lungs and stage performance.

Nowadays, he still has that ego, but he is fat (those spandex t-shirt he's wearing don't help it either), has gay stage act, and with growl that is just a shadow of 89-93 stuff. :redneck:

Seriously, all I care is his stage performance and his growls (and of course his contribution to the MA material), and, it suffices to say - I really don't like it.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

It is true that his vocals are not what they used to be. I noticed this in Worcester when they toured with Soulfly. I think he is still good and he is very enthusiastic, but there is a difference. Still, I really would hate to see such a great period cast aside :tear:
;,,;
Anomander

Post by Anomander »

for sure it cant be a that comfortable feeling to do the F-H songs then the ones he was himself involved in creating process. but where would the music world be, if none would do live vocals or bass for songs not written by themselfs. if he had done already earlier it wouldnt be that mega act. the critics can never be satisfied. you always need to jump over the line, just put your best into.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Meh he needs to suck it up and man up and do it.
;,,;
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="abzu"]Meh he needs to suck it up and man up and do it.[/quote]

i'm sure he'd do it if it was his wife's band :necro:
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

With a leash around his neck and Seth Putnam paddling his butt.
;,,;
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

Heaving earth would slay........

Dual vocal attack :xx:
FUKKET
Metal God

Post by FUKKET »

[quote name="MorbidAngle"]Heaving earth would slay........

Dual vocal attack :xx:[/quote]

totally - i love that song. One of my fav Tr3y solos too!!
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

:bang:
;,,;
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

I still think it's an ego thing, it can't be that hard for a bass player / singer to learn a few songs for a tour. He basically did what they said: play F-H song(s). One of the shortest songs though. After the South American tour it's really time for some real new album news and a proper tour playing those new songs. Even though I really enjoyed the two Aussie shows, it's the same 'best of' old skool Death Metal show they have been doing for the last 4 years.
Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

[quote name="FUKKET"] One of my fav Tr3y solos too!![/quote]

Agreed. You also have the tidy little drum solo too. :idea:

In fact, it's arguably The fastest MA track.
Godsdefeat

Post by Godsdefeat »

[quote name="FUKKET"]So we discussed a while ago the issue of Dave not performing Tucker material.

Originally I (we?) thought that he didn't want to perform this material because he didn't write the lyrics etc, but it just occured to me, that F was written entirely by Trey.

It's a shame really....[/quote]

Also, when you visit their Myspace the musicplayer only has A-D songs in it. Poor Steve, if they ever put out a dvd they better give the F-H era as much attention as A-D & I...
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="Godsdefeat"]
[quote name="FUKKET"]So we discussed a while ago the issue of Dave not performing Tucker material.

It's a shame really....[/quote]

Also, when you visit their Myspace the musicplayer only has A-D songs in it. Poor Steve, if they ever put out a dvd they better give the F-H era as much attention as A-D & I...[/quote]

I sadly do not think there is anything future for any footage that was recorded during F-H. :blush: :tear:
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

F-H deserved a live album like A-D got. I stand behind this 100%.

I love Montreal 1998 to bits and bytes, but a Heretic period live album encompassing F-H material is deserved.
;,,;
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

[quote name="abzu"]F-H deserved a live album like A-D got. I stand behind this 100%.

I love Montreal 1998 to bits and bytes, but a Heretic period live album encompassing F-H material is deserved.[/quote]

That Montreal show remains one of my top favorite MA performances. They probably didn't haul a big multi-track recorder with them during any F-H touring, but then again I don't really know, they could have. F-H live album with Steve would have caused me to jizz all over myself though.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

Me too in copious amounts.

I would fill a thousand belly buttons.
;,,;