picks

Music is a primeval force guiding its creators to ancient places. Share stories, compare equipment, join bands, get feedback.
neckred
Ancient One

picks

Post by neckred »

ordered several picks that came in today, mostly just to try several and see what I dig the most

Dunlop Tortex .88 green picks - recently got back into using these, so I picked up 12

Fender Extra Heavy celluloid picks - I had also been digging some of the "heavy" celluloid, but would have liked them to be a little thicker hence me trying these

Dunlop Teckpick aluminum Red color - it was $1, figured that wasn't too bad for a pick that supposedly won't wear much, if at all

V-Pick Traditional light - figured I'd try something fancy. at $3.60 a pop per pick they're going to have to be damn good for me to want to use them. apparently they last longer than 12 regular picks, stick to your fingers but glide off strings.

off topic, but I also picked up a set of Fender Pure Nickel bullet strings for the strat, not that I have tuning problems, but if it can get even more stable, I'm all for it. I'm a big believer in Nickel strings on bright guitars, steel and nickel hybrid on average brightness guitars, and steel strings on dark guitars. all my guitars are bright sounding though, because I believe it's easier to tailor your tone if it starts off bright.
ImageImageImageImage
deckard
Metal God

Re: picks

Post by deckard »

only use these now:

zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

After I started using Dunlop Jazz III picks I've been unable to go back to regular sized picks. I feel incapable of playing guitar if I'm not using a Jazz III.

Before that though I had been using a Dava pick and it was absolutely awesome, one of the best I'd ever used. ex-girlfriend bought it for me :redneck: :xx:

this one specifically

ImageImage
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Holocaust
Metal God

Post by Holocaust »

Dava :xx:
M.Bison
Ancient One

Post by M.Bison »

I'm using the black Jazz III XL's. I've used these and the red ones for a while now, usually alternating between the two.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

My fingers have somewhat settled on this and I wouldn't want to use any other pick now.

I've been wondering how does that compare to this if it's thicker, softer, has more grip/control, etc.

Hugo.
Metal God

Post by Hugo. »

Those heavy duty fenders are nice. I'm using them at the minute. They seem to wear down pretty quick though.
neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

I was using those Ultex Jazz picks for a while, and the red Jazz III before that

but recently got back into standard sized picks

those Fender heavy are nice, the Extra Heavy seem to last longer, and those seem to wear in a nice bevel and to a sharper point on the tip
ImageImageImageImage
supa tuna
Ancient One

Post by supa tuna »

been using the yellow tortex dunlops .73 for years. just about the only pick i can use. i've tried harder and softer picks but these have always been perfect for me.

neckred
Ancient One

Post by neckred »

I really dig the sound and feel of the Tortex .88 picks, but they always warp for me quickly
ImageImageImageImage
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

finally tuned down mein ibanez from E standard to D# and now i've been using the normal red dunlop jazz III a lot lately instead of the ultex jazz III

planning to change mein strings from 10-46 to 9-42 and have it setup when I find some time...wonder how will the normal red jazz III respond to that
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

bought a few red jazz III XLs last week, i think i prefer them now
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

So I finally got around to checking out the Jazz III picks. I picked up a red and a black.

After a few weeks of dicking around, I have decided it will not work for me on electric. I'm sticking to my Tortex Standard 1.14. BUT, holy shit on acoustic. I am never using another pick on acoustic again. I usually play pickless, but I just love the feel of the Jazz III on my Alvarez. It allows me to play it as fast as my electric where other picks seem to get in the way.
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

[quote="shadowalk"]
finally tuned down mein ibanez from E standard to D# and now i've been using the normal red dunlop jazz III a lot lately instead of the ultex jazz III

planning to change mein strings from 10-46 to 9-42 and have it setup when I find some time...wonder how will the normal red jazz III respond to that
[/quote]
I've been C standard for years now, but I recently just switched from 56-12 to 60-12. 
ANGEL OF DESEASE wrote:the path of whoring is something wicked and grim, and very philosophical.
;,,;
zim
Zim(a)

Post by zim »

still using Jazz III and still love them. i remember when i first started using them it was a difficult transition but i use them for all my playing
the dead vote well wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 04:22
moving from a garbage disposal back to the dumpster but it’s an improvement nonetheless
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

Still use the Jazz III XL but i switched to the Ultex type. Much clearer, better presence without getting too hars overtones and the mids get really punchy.
shadowalk
Metal God

Post by shadowalk »

Forget my last post, I'm using the regular-sized red Jazz IIIs again. I bought three picks at the local music shop a few weeks back. Two black, regular-sized Jazz IIIs and the John Petrucci sig Jazz III, which I picked up just for curiosity. The John Petrucci Jazz III had a really good grip but it felt more like an Ultex Sharp instead of a Jazz III. Fans of the Ultex Sharp or other similar picks may want to check it out though or maybe if you're a total Dream Theater/Petrucci geek you'd have more patience with that pick but mine definitely ran out for it. The black, regular-sized Jazz IIIs...now that's the stuff. I don't know if there's any difference from the red ones but I'm really having fun with them.
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

The red ones are nylon. They sound a bit duller compared to the black stiffo material.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I change my pick's position in my hand a lot when playing electric. That wee Jazz III doesn't work for me with that.
;,,;
Uni777
Ancient One

Post by Uni777 »

[quote="Abzu"]
I change my pick's position in my hand a lot when playing electric. That wee Jazz III doesn't work for me with that.
[/quote]
Thats why i use the XL version. The small ones are to small for me also.
Abzu
Postwhore

Post by Abzu »

I'll have to give an XL a shot, to be fair then.
;,,;
Egg
Neophyte

Post by Egg »

currently only use these, the white thinnest version not displayed in this picture
they are called snake picks